•Causes of decreased CSF glucose
• Increased CSF glucose is of no clinical
• Meningitis-Bacterial, fungal tubercular and
• Tumors involving the meninges.
• Subarachnoid hemorrhage.
• Cerebral ameobiasis.
• 0 - 1m: Group B strept & E. coli (GNR)
• 1m - 5y: H. influenzae
• 5 - 29y: N. meningitidis
• >29y: S. pneumoniae
• Listeria monocytogenes common in
newborns, elderly, and other
Test Appearance Pressure WBC/μL Protein
Clear 90 – 180
0-8 lymph. 15-45 50-80 115-130
Turbid Increased 1000
100 – 500 < 40 Decreased
Clear Normal to
Clear Increased 40-400
50-300 Decreased Decreased
Clear Increased About 500