Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
This presentation includes following points:
• Elements of a computer system:-
• Input and Output Devices
• Processing and Storages Devices
A computer is an electronic device that receives data as input, stores and
processes it, and gives the output according to the given instructions.
Elements of a Computer System
Classification of Computers
On the basis of Purpose/Use
• General Purpose Computers: Designed to
perform a range of tasks. They have the ability
to store numerous programs.
• Special Purpose Computers: Designed to
handle a specific problem or to perform a
specific task. A set of instructions is built into
On the basis of Size:
• Microcomputers: Microcomputers are
connected to networks of other
computers. It is a small and general-
purpose computer. A single user can
interact with this computer at a time.
• Mini Computer: A small general-purpose
computer having more storage capacity
and speed. It is designed to
simultaneously handle the needs of
On the basis of Size
• Mainframe Computer: Large
computers, process data at very high
• Banks, manufacturers and airlines
are typical users.
• Super Computers: The largest
computers are Super Computers.
• Most powerful, most expensive
• Capable of processing trillions of
instructions per second.
On the basis of Functionality/Data Handling
• Analog Computers: A form of computer that uses
continuous physical phenomena such as electrical,
hydraulic, mechanical quantities. Measurements
are obtained and translated into data.
• Digital Computers: Performs calculations and
logical operations with quantities represented as
digits (0s and 1s).
• Hybrid Computers: A combination of computers,
capable of inputting and outputting in both digital
and analog signals. Incorporate the measuring
feature of an analog computer and counting feature
of a digital computer.
Characteristics of a Computer
• Storage Capacity
• No Decision
• No Feeling
Components of a Computer
There are two components of a computer:
hardware and information stored on the
• Hardware: Physical parts (Electronic
and mechanical): Key board, Mouse,
Monitor, Hard disk, Mother board and
• Software: Data and computer
programs: Windows XP, Windows 10.
Devices of a Computer
There are four types of devices used in a computer:
• Input Devices
• Processing Devices/Unit
• Storage Devices
• Output Devices
Input devices are used to send data and instructions by the user or from
• Barcode Reader
• Touch Monitor
• Processing devices are responsible
for processing of information within
the computer system.
• Example: CPU and motherboard.
Output devices return processed data to the user or another system
Data is stored for later use on storage
media. Types of storage media are:
• Primary storage media: Random
Access Memory (RAM), ROM (Read
• Secondary storage media: Compact
Disk (CD ROM), Floppy Disk,
Cartridge Tape, USB drive/Pen Drive,
Memory Stick, Hard Disk
Limitations of Computer
The computer is totally dependent on human.
• No common sense and feelings.
• No imagination.
• Cannot detect an error in logic.
• Only an expert user can work on it.
• Cannot take its own decisions.
• No Self-Intelligence and No Thinking.
• No Learning Power
Be the first to like this
Number of Embeds
You have now unlocked unlimited access to 20M+ documents!
Learn faster and smarter from top experts
Download to take your learnings offline and on the go
You also get free access to Scribd!
Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.
Read and listen offline with any device.
Free access to premium services like Tuneln, Mubi and more.