Why use data visualisation ?
1. 90% of the information a person perceives is through sight.
2. 70% of the sensory receptors are located in the eyes.
3. About 50% of human brain neurons are involved in the processing of visual
4. Human productivity is 17% higher when working with visual information.
5. A person understand 323% better if the answer contains illustration.
6. A person understand visual information 60,000 times faster comparison to
the same information as text.
Requirements for a visualization tool
1. Combining data from different sources
2. Data formulas & functions
(computed metrics & parameters)
3. A wide selection of widgets & graphs
4. Style, design, interactive reports
5. Access to the record management
6. Simple intuitive interface
Data Studio part of Google Analytics 360 Suite
Tag Manager 360 - Data Collection
Data Studio 360 Data Analysis and Visualization
Site Testing and
Audience Center 360
What you need to know about Google Data Studio
1. 2nd June 2016 - US Public Beta
2. You can create reports and sources via a VPN
3. Five reports per account in free version.
4. Unlimited number of data sources.
5. Unlimited number of tabs in per report.
6. Ability to copy reports.
Action Can view Can edit Is owner
View data in the report x x x
Copy the report and store on Google Drive x x x
Share / stop sharing the report with others x x
Modify the report x x
Add and modify data from attached data sources x x
Attach / remove data sources x x
Create / delete the report x
Notes so far:
1. Beta-issues (fixed soon):
- Currency defaults to USD
- Sometimes see service error
- Quality Score missing from Adwords integration
- Must be loggedin to a google account to view report.
2. You can`t natively create a filter on a metric
(unless you use an if statement calculated field)
3. Default date ranges are missing 4weekly & half year.
4. Only possible to join date using date field
5. Currently no ETL / transform function
(but this can be done in BigQuery)
1. Technical performance indicators for your website
2. YouTube Channel Report
3. What happened to M Night Shyamalan?
4. AdWords Report
5. Marketing Attribution Dashboard
6. TV Ad Perfomance
7. World Population