Water is a key to social equity to environmentalstability and to cultural diversity. Water is also firmlylinked with health. Pure and safe drinking water hasalways been a necessity.Necessities of Packaged Mineral Water • Quality Water for health conscious people • Easily Assessable - Improper water supply
• Started by “Signor Felice Bisleri” an Italian entrepreneur in the year 1965.• First company to start packaged drinking water in India. In 1967 Bisleri set up a plant in Mumbai.• Bisleri then was introduced in Mumbai in glass bottles in two varieties – bubbly & still in 1965.• Parle bought over Bisleri (India) Ltd. in 1969 and started bottling water in glass bottles under the brand name ‘Bisleri’.• Bisleri was synonymous with branded water market in early 1990s.
• Later Parle switched over to PVC non-returnable bottles & finally advanced to PET containers.• In 1995 Ramesh J. Chauhan started expanding Bisleri operations.• In 2003 Bisleri announced its venture to Europe.• After that Ramesh J. Chauhan sold his stake to Wakharikar & Sons,but all operations are under Ramesh J.Chauhan.
• At present the bottled water industry is estimated at about Rs. 8,000 crores in India.• The estimated industry size touch the Rs 10,000 crore mark in the 2012-13 fiscal.• The industry which is growing at the rate 19% p.a.• Estimated to grow around Rs. 15,000 crores by 2015• The global bottled water market, which saw an increase of 40- 45% over the past five years, is currently valued at close to US$ 85-90 billion (Source: www.economictimes.com)
• Coca Cola Kinley• PepsiCo Aqua Fina• Manikchand Oxyrich• Parle Agro Bailley• Tata’s Himalayan
Series 140%35%30%25%20%15%10%5%0% Bisleri Coca-Colas Kinley Aquafina Others
Strengths Weakness• Range of pack sizes. • Transportation costs.• Strong brand image • Unable to fulfill demand(distribution• High quality standard channel)• Keeps updating it’s products. • Reusable bottles• Wide network of plants almost all over • No continuous innovation in the India. product Opportunities Threats• Global market. • Easy entry• Parle Exports can also enter the fruit • Families- tap water juice industry. • Competitors like Aqua fina, Himalaya• Growing industry Bailley, & Other local & rural products.• Increasing water pollution • New enters in the market like Amul• Health consciousness of customer is • If government ban on plastic use then increasing . company will be in trouble• Introduction of premium pack
• For daily traveling consumption (250ml and 500ml bottles)• For Long traveling consumption (2, 1.5 & 1 Ltr.)• For Office, Home, Marriage or Meeting use (5 & 20 Ltr. Returnable packs)
• Comparative Pricing Geographical Pricing (Transportation Chugs) E.g. Gujarat Village Rs. 8.00/- Per Ltr. Mumbai/Delhi Rs.12.00/- Per Ltr.• Product Line Pricing Image Pricing Old Pack Rs.7/-Per 500ml New Pack Rs.10/-Per 500ml
Identifying Segment Large shops and Complexes. 40% of the branded water consumption was in eateries, homes and restaurants. Smaller Segment-Introduction of 300 ml cups for marriages and conventions Geographic City - Metro cities , Cities with population over 1 million. Semi-urban areas - Towns Demographic Income - Middle , Upper middle and high income group. Life style - outdoor & sports oriented
• Decided to penetrate every possible market by introducing more pack sizes with trendy packaging.• Launched 1.2 litre pack in 2000 at Rs12 with view of replacing it’s 1 liter bottel.• Planned to spent margin resulting out from sale of its 1.2 liter on advertising and marketing.• Launched 300ml cup targeted at marriages and convention
Advertising Campaign• First Ad Campaign – PLAY SAFE• Second Ad Campaign – The Sweet taste of Purity• Third Ad Campaign – Bisleri The Mountain Water• Fourth Ad Campaign – Bisleri bottle falling from mountain