This document is intended to introduce readers to role based access control (RBAC), as applied to large numbers of users and multiple IT systems. It is organized into five distinct parts:
1. Development of RBAC concepts from a simple model to a complex but realistic privilege management infrastructure.
2. Business drivers to motivate organizations to use an RBAC system to manage security privileges.
3. Process for deploying RBAC into an organization.
4. Maintenance tasks for keeping a deployed RBAC system functioning smoothly.
5. Organizational impact of the deployment project and of the running RBAC system.