Building Relationships With Blogs and Social Media
With Blogs & Social Media
North Dakota State University
October 14, 2009
Building Relationships - In the Print Era
- Educational relationships were based on authority
- The authority of the instructor or author came from one
or many diplomas
- Diplomas were granted by institutions made up of
individuals with the authority to vouch for the original
- Where did the authority of the diploma-granting
institution come from?
Building Relationships - In the EM Era
- Educational relationships are built on authority and trust
- The authority of the instructor or author comes less from
diplomas and more from demonstrated knowledge
- Authority means nothing with out trust, and today people
distrust those with authority
- You build trust by being open: giving up some of your
traditional authority, letting people see your personality
and consistently engaging in community conversations
Building Relationships - Using Blogs
What are blogs?
Easy-to-update web sites written in a journal style with articles
that appear sequentially based on date.
• Blogs have an archive, links,time-stamps and a
• Blogs are personalized, community-linked, social and
• Blog content drives much of the social media traffic in
Twitter and other tools
Building Relationships - Creating a Blog
NDSU Agriculture & University Extension has it's own blog
tool, called Roller.