National Capital Region (NCR)
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

National Capital Region (NCR)

on

  • 3,561 views

A Brief Information about the National Capital Region in the Philippines..

A Brief Information about the National Capital Region in the Philippines..

Statistics

Views

Total Views
3,561
Slideshare-icon Views on SlideShare
3,561
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
4
Downloads
147
Comments
2

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel

12 of 2

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    National Capital Region (NCR) National Capital Region (NCR) Presentation Transcript

    • Metro Manila, otherwise known as National Capital Region, is the center of Luzon and the capital region of the Philippines. Unlike the other 17 Philippine regions, NCR does not have any provinces. It is composed of 16 cities – namely the City of Manila itself, Caloocan, Las Piñas, Makati, Malabon, Mandaluyong, Marikina, Muntinlupa, Navotas, Pasay, Pasig, Paranaque, Quezon City, San Juan, Taguig, Valenzuela – and the municipality of Pateros.
    • The region is considered as the political, economic, social, and cultural center of the Philippines and is one of the more modern metropolises in Southeast Asia. Metro Manila is the shopping center of the Philippines. Three “megamalls” are located in this region and these are SM Mall of Asia, SM Megamall and SM City North Edsa which is the 2nd largest mall in the world. Makati is regarded as the main central business district of Metro Manila while Ortigas City is the second most important business district in Metro Manila.
    • Metro Manila is a place of economic extremes. Many highincome citizens live in exclusive communities such as Forbes Park in Makati and Ayala Alabang in Muntinlupa. In contrast to these residences are the slums and illegal settlement scattered across the metropolitan area and are often found in vacant government land or in districts such as Tondo.
    • Geography and Population Among the 17 administrative regions, NCR had the second largest population with 11.86 million (2010 census of population, NSO) in an area of 636 square kilometers. NCR is bordered by the provinces of Bulacan to the north, Rizal to the east, Cavite to the south-west and Laguna to the south. Manila Bay lies to the west and Laguna de Bay to the south-east.
    • People Metro Manila is composed of almost all the cultural groups of the Philippines because of migration. Filipino, also Pilipino, is the Tagalog language designated as the national language and one of two official languages of the Philippines. Filipino/Tagalog is the first language of a third of the population of the Philippines, It is centered around Metro Manila but is known almost universally throughout the country.
    • Climate Metro Manila lies entirely within the tropics and because of its proximity to the equator, the temperature range is very small. It has a distinct, relatively short dry season from January through April and a long wet season from May through December.
    • Metro Manila is the financial, commercial and industrial center of the Philippines. Makati is the largest financial and economic hub of the metropolitan area and the country. regarded as the metropolis' central business district (CBD), it is the base of many Philippines' largest corporations including the Ayala Group of Companies, as well as the nation's major banks. The Makati area is built around the former Nielsen Air Base, an American installation during World War II and its runways now form the district's main roads, which cross each other at the Makati Triangle, home of the nation's stock exchange. Different well-known skyscrapers in Metro Manila are here like PBCom Tower and G. T. International Tower. Foreign corporations also have their main Philippine hubs
    • New developments seeking to become vibrant centers of their own are Bonifacio Global City in Taguig; Eastwood City in Quezon City; the Manila Bay City Reclamation Area in the cities of Pasay, Paranaque and Las Pinas; and Alabang Estates, madrigal Business Park, and Fill Invest Corporate City in Muntinlupa. triangle park in Quezon City is the latest addition to the list. Ortigas Center is the second most important business district in Metro Manila. Situated in Mandaluyong and Pasig, it is home to the headquarters of several major Philippine companies such as San Miguel Corporation and Meralco, and hosts mani shopping malls and hotels. The Asian Development Bank, also has its headquarters here.
    • Creation National Capital Region also known as Metropolitan Manila was founded by the virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824 signed on November 7, 1975 under the administration of President Ferdinand E. Marcos. In 1976, a conglomeration of four cities - Manila, Pasay, Caloocan and Quezon City - and 13 municipalities was officially designated as "Metro Manila".
    • The city of Manila is declared as the National Capital; of the Country by the virtue of Presidential Decree No. 940 signed on June 24, 1976 by President Ferdinand E. Marcos. Metro Manila is the Philippines’ seat of government but the City of Manila is the capital. The Malacañan Palace, the official office and residence of the President of the Philippines, and the buildings of the Supreme Court of the Philippines are based in Metro Manila.
    • Caloocan City  Descriptive Name: The Only Divided City in the Philippines  The City of Caloocan is one of the cities that comprise Metro Manila, the National Capital Region of the Philippines.  Etymology Caloocan originated from the Tagalog word ―lo-ok‖ meaning Bay as the place is near Manila Bay.
    •  Short History During the Spanish era, Caloocan used to be a small barrio named Aromahan or Libis Espina. Chinese, mestizos or Indians were the first inhabitants of Caloocan. The arable portions of Libis Espina owned by the Augustinians were leased to the 500 inhabitants at that time. Most of the townsfolk were fisherman; others are engaged in agricultural crops. Caloocan originated from the Tagalog word ―lo-ok‖ meaning Bay as the place is near Manila Bay. In 1802, the residents of the barrio grew. Then the barrio was converted into a town in 1815, occupying a vast territory and the socio-economic further improved. The first Gobernadorcillo was Mariano Sandoval, while the first curate was Fray Manuel Vaquerro, a Recollect.
    • A few years later, export products produced by Caloocan entrepreneurs were in great demand in Manila to meet the commitments of the Philippine traders to Acapulco. Then on February 23, 1892, the railway project from Manila to Mabalacat, Pampanga was inaugurated. Then on November 23, 1892 the railroad line from Manila to Dagupan was finally opened bringing economic opportunities for the people of Caloocan. Caloocan suffered three years of oppression under the Japanese occupation. And in 1946, Philippine independence was finally proclaimed and Caloocan gained its true freedom. In 1961, through a plebiscite,
    •  Geography The City is situated just north of and adjacent to the City of Manila and is divided into two areas: Southern Caloocan City lies directly north of the City of Manila and is bounded by Malabon City and Valenzuela City to the north, Navotas to the west, and Quezon City to the east; and Northern Caloocan City and lies to the east of Valenzuela City, north of Quezon City, and south of San Jose del Monte City in the province of Bulacan.
    •  The Land The total land area of Caloocan City is 55.8 square kilometers. The land use is primarily in residential, commercial establishments, facilities, parks, among many other land uses.  People Caloocan is the country's third most populous city with a population of 1,177,604.
    • Commerce and Industry Caloocan City is currently organizing its long-term and short-term socioeconomic development plans and policies of the city and the medium-term and annual public investment programs that would appraise and prioritize local investment incentives to promote the inflow and direction of private investment capital.
    •  Local Products Caloocan City's 10th Avenue area is well-known for the clusters of motorcycle dealers and motorcycle spare parts dealers.  Famous Foods Various foods and delicacies can be seen in Caloocan City which includes fast-food chains, restaurants, and food stalls in malls.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  BONIFACIO MONUMENT  BUENA PARK UE SPORTS COMPLEX  GUBAT SA CIUDAD RESORT  LUZVIMINDA RESORT  MANILA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY  TALA LEPROSARIUM
    •  FESTIVALS  Tourism Awareness & Promotion An annual tripartite activity among the key players of the industry to boast the promotion of the city as a worthwhile tourist destination. The event includes an exhibit of Caloocan‘s best in the trade and industry, a food festival among the city‘s restaurants and an exhibit and seminar for the local travel agencies.
    • Las Piñas  Las Piñas is a city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines.  Geography The land is bounded by Parañaque City on its north and northeast side, Muntinlupa City on the east and southeast, Imus Cavite on the south side, Bacoor Cavite on the southwest and west side, and Manila Bay on the northwest.
    •  Etymology The origin of the city‘s name varies some say it was derived from the pineapples that were shipped in the town, others say that it was “Las Penas” due to excavation of stones and adobe that was used for construction purposes in the early years. However, a bell inscription that states “Siendo Cura-del Pueblo de las Peñas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se Fundio este equilon ano de 1820” proves that the city was once named as Las Peñas before it was changed to Las Piñas.
    • In the Spanish era, the city used to be a small fishing port and a center for saltmaking and eventually Las Piñas developed into a residential, commercial and industrial town of Metro Manila. Las Piñas is known as one of the cleanest cities in Metro Manila and has also recently achieved a status of the ―Most Competitive City‖ in the country.
    •  Descriptive Names  Home of the Bamboo Organ  City of Love and Progress  Salt Center of Metro Manila  Lantern Capital of Metro Manila
    •  Short History In the city archives, Las Piñas used to be a fishing settlement on Manila Bay Shores in between 1762 to 1797. The origin of the city‘s name varies some say it was derived from the pineapples that were shipped in the town, others say that it was ―Las Penas‖ due to excavation of stones and adobe that was used for construction purposes in the early years. However, a bell inscription that states ―Siendo Cura-del Pueblo de las Penas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se Fundio este equilon ano de 1820‖ proves that the city was once named as Las Peñas before it was changed to Las Piñas.
    • In 1822, a unique Bamboo Organ was built inside the St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas, and was completed in 1824. The city is famous for this oneof-a-kind musical instrument ever built in the country. Las Piñas was also a major site in the Philippine Revolution in 1896 and was also occupied by the Japanese Forces during the World War II.
    • The municipality of Las Piñas became part of Rizal province pursuant to Philippine Act No. 137. Two years later, the municipality was combined with Parañaque and later became the seat of a new municipal government. Las Piñas became a separate municipality on March 27, 1907 by virtue of Philippine Act 1625. On February 12, 1997, Las Piñas was declared as a city by then President Fidel V. Ramos. Then on March 26, 1997, the city formally became the 10th city of Metro Manila.
    •  The Land The city occupies a total land area of 41.54 sq. kilometers. Half of the land area is developed for residential purposes and the remaining half portion of the land is used for industrial and commercial which comprised of about 36.47% of the total land area, institutional with 37.68% of the land, and the rest for recreational or park areas.  The People Las Piñas City has a total population of 528,011 with a growth rate of 1.54% yearly in 104,000 households. The population growth is due to the migration of other people from different regions outside of Metro Manila.
    •  Commerce and Industry Currently, Las Piñas city is already a booming city with various business establishments, shopping malls and other new building and facilities infrastructures. In the year 2000, the city generated a 742.0 million pesos income.
    •  Local Products During the Spanish era, the city is known as a small-fishing port and a major salt-making center. The city is also the first place where ―Jeepney‖ is built beforehand. Currently, the city is famous for its Bamboo Organ inside the St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas which wad created out of bamboo, wood, and metal.
    • Major Tourist Attractions  BAMBOO ORGAN  NATURE CHURCH  ST. JOSEPH CHURCH
    •  FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS  The Bamboo Organ Festival (February) The festival is celebrated every year at the St. Joseph Parish Church of Las Piñas where international organists are invited to participate. The melodious sound of the noted instrument can be heard only during Sundays. Viewing is from 2-4 PM on weekdays.  The Town Fiesta / The Feast of St. Joseph (1st Sunday of May) The town fiesta covers five (5) barangays namely, Manuyo Uno, Daniel Fajardo, Ilaya, Elias Aldana and Pulanglupa Uno. It is highlighted with a Banda Parada, the staging of Comedia or Moro-Moro, singing contests, the Novena with ―prusisyon‖ (Paradise with Icons) and fireworks.
    • Makati  The City is referred to as the ―Financial Capital‖ and ―Wall Street‖ of the Philippines since Makati is the headquarters of various key companies and work offices. Makati is also a home of the Makati Business Club and the Philippine Stock Exchange.  The city today is the most modern city in the Philippines and a highly cosmopolitan culture since many expatriates live and work here. Makati also boasts of its first-class shopping malls such as Ayala Center and Rockwell Center, and five-star hotels.
    •  Etymology When the first Governor-General of the Philippines, Miguel López de Legazpi, explored a swamp near the Pasig River, he asked for the name of the place but, because of the language barrier, the question asked by the Governor General was misinterpreted by the Tagalog people. Pointing to the receding tide of the Pasig River, the Tagalogs answered, ―Makati, kumakati na,‖ literally meaning ebbing tide. Makati (maka-ti) means "ebbed tide".
    •  Descriptive Names  The Financial Capital of the Philippines  The Wall Street of the Philippines  Geography Makati city is located east of the capital Manila.
    •  Short History The name Makati came from the Tagalog word ―kati‖ which means tide that refers to the flow of the Pasig River in the northern border of the city. The area used to be a swamp with cogon grass. Makati was under the district of Santa Ana de Sapa in between 1578-1670. And during the Spanish era, the place was also known as San Pedro Makati in honor of the patron saint.
    • In the 19th century upon colonization of Americans, Fort McKinley was established in Makati and in 1901 the place became a part of Rizal province. However, in the passing of the Philippine Act 2390 on February 28, 1914, San Pedro Makati was shortened to Makati name instead. Then in 1930, the first airport, Nielsen Airport was built in what was now the Ayala Triangle in Makati. In the following years thereafter Makati became a prime real property that eventually became a financial and commercial capital in the Philippines. On January 2, 1995, Makati became an independent city.
    •  The Land The City of Makati has a total land area of 27.36 square kilometers or 2,736 hectares which is 4.3% of National Capital Region‘s total land area. The city is bounded by Pasig River on the north side, Pasig City on the northeast, Pateros and Taguig City in the southeast side, Manila in the northwest side, and Pasay City on the southwest. Affluent villages like Forbes Park and the main central business district has the biggest land area of the total land area in Makati.  The People The 2000 census estimated a 524,000 population in 117,000 households. The population has an increase rate of 8% and the number of households by 16%. The city has the highest GDP per capita in the Philippines. However, in daytime Makati reaches a million populations especially during typical work days because of the large number of people working in the city.
    •  Commerce and Industry Major corporations, banks, department stores, shopping malls, embassies and consulates of different countries are based in the City of Makati, thus the city earned the name ―Wall Street of the Philippines‖. Makati has the highest concentration of the country‘s finest commercial establishments and exclusive residential subdivisions, five star hotels and fine dining restaurants.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  ALLIANCE FRANCAISE ART GALLERY  AYALA CENTER  AYALA MUSEUM  FINALE ART FILE  GALERIA JUPITER  GALERIA AURORA  LIBINGAN NG MGA BAYANI  LUZ GALLERY  MAKATI CINEMA SQUARE  MAKATI PARK AND GARDEN  MAKATI STOCK EXCHANGE  MANILA AMERICAN CEMETARY AND MEMORIAL  MUSEO NG MAKATI
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  OSMUNDO GALLERY  PHILIPPINE ARMY MUSEUM  SANCTUARIO DE GUADALUPE  SAINTS PETER AND PAUL CHURCH  THOMAS JEFFERSON CULTURAL CENTER  UGARTE FIELD
    •  FESTIVALS OTHER EVENTS &  Caracol (January)  Likhang-Kamay (March or April)  Flores de Mayo (May)  Bailes delos Arcos (June)  Kasuotang Pilipino (September)
    • Malabon  Malabon City is part of the CAMANAVA sub-region of Metro Manila.  Geography Located north side of Manila and is primarily a residential and industrial place, thus, the city is largely populated.  CAMANAVA consists of Caloocan City, Malabon City, Navotas, and Valenzuela City.
    •  Short History The Augustinian Friars founded the town of Malabon as a ―Visata‖ of Tondo on May 21, 1599 and remained under the governance of Tondo from 1627 to 1688. Malabon was also an important literary center of the Philippine Revolution during the Spanish colonization in 1896. This is where the ―La Independencia‖ was printed in Malabon‘s Asilo de Huertanos. Then on June 11, 1901 by virtue of Philippine Act 137, Malabon was made a municipality in the province of Rizal.
    • A few years later by virtue of Philippine Act 942, the municipality of Malabon became a part of Navotas governance. It was only on January 6, 1906 when Malabon finally became an independent municipality upon signing of Philippine Act 1441. Malabon remained a municipality of Rizal for 70 years, and by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824 Malabon became a part of the National Capital Region and no longer part of the Rizal province.
    •  The Land The city is a coastal land situated in the northern part of Metro Manila together with Navotas, Valenzuela, Pateros, Taguig, Pasig and Muntinlupa. Malabon is bounded in the north and northeast side by Valenzuela, west and southwest side by Navotas and southeast side by Caloocan City occupying a total land area of 23.4 square kilometers. The city land is generally flat with some slopes.
    •  The People With the recent population census, Malabon City has a total population of 347,484.  Local Product Malabon is a commercial fishing center for Manila, known for ―bagoong‖ (fish paste) production.
    •  Major Tourist Spots  ASILO DE HUERTANOS  ASILO DE MAYSILO  ASILO DE MAYSILO  MALABON ZOO AND AQUARIUM  PAGODA-CARACOL  RIZAL SHRINE  SAN BARTOLOME CHURCH
    •  Famous Delicacies  Dolor‘s Kakanin  Rufina Patis  Pancit Malabon
    •  FESTIVALS Pagoda-Caracol The Feast of Our Lady of Immaculate conception observed every December 9th is a joint celebration of the Roman Catholic and Aglipay churches. It features a grand fluvial procession of the venerated image of the Virgin Mary along the Malabon-Navotas River coupled with a traditional street dancing revelry participated in by colorfully costumed dancers, young and old.
    • Mandaluyong  Mandaluyong City is one of the cities that comprised Metro Manila in the Philippines.  Geography Bordered on the west by Manila, San Juan in north, Quezon City and Pasig City in the east side, Makati City in the south side.  Descriptive Names Tiger City of the Philippines Metro Manila's Heart Shopping Mall Capital of the Philippines".
    •  Etymology The city derived its name from tagalong terms ―mga‖ meaning many, and ―daluy‖ which means flowing in reference to tall grasses that grow in this land many years ago.
    •  Short History In 1300, the Great Madjapahit Empire or ―Anka Widyaya‖ ruled the Kingdom of Sapa or of this city by Prince Balagtas. Then in 1470, the kingdome expanded and became ―Kingdom of Namayan‖ with Lakan Takhan as the ruler. The Kingdom comprised of the communities which now forms part of Quiapo, San Miguel, Sta. Mesa, Paco, Pandacan, Malate, Sta. Ana in Manila, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Makati, Pasay, Pateros, Taguig, Parañaque, and some portions of Pasig and Quezon City.
    • Mandaluyong was originally known as ‗barrio‘ of Sta. Ana de Sapa that is part of the Paco District. In 1841, the barrio was named San Felipe Neri by the Spaniards in honor of the Patron Saint of Rome. Then on September 15, 1863 under the administration of ―Dulcisimo Nombre de Jesus‖ congregation, they constructed the Parish of San Felipe Neri. The Parish was once used as a station by the Katipunan revolution (1896-1898) in leadership of Andres Bonifacio.
    • Later on San Felipe Neri became a first class municipality under Presidential Act No, 1942. For some time the town was under the governance of San Juan Municipality until it finally became an independent municipality on March 27, 1907. In 1960, the municipality of Mandaluyong became a component of Metropolitan Manila undergoing significant development and economic transformation, eventually becoming a highly urbanized city. Today, Mandaluyong is a bustling city with vibrant economic activities and among many other city accomplishments.
    •  The Land The city has a total land area of 1,124.97 hectares which is 1.77% of the total land area of Metro Manila. The four largest residential lots occupying the city‘s total land area are Wack-Wack, Addition Hills, Plainview and Highway Hills. The land characteristic is partially flat on the southwest portion with gentle slopes in the rest of the area.
    •  The People Currently, Mandaluyong City has a total population of 278,474 with 275,110 households. The city also has various ethnic origins. However, most of its population generally speaks Tagalog, followed by Bicol, Bisaya, Ilonggo and Ilocano language.
    •  Commerce and Industry Mandaluyong City is now commercially developed with a lot of central businesses such as banks, offices and service establishments. Major commercial districts are Boni Avenue, Shaw Boulevard, Libertad-Sierra Madre, Kalentong, San Franciso, part of Martinez, Sgt. Bumatay towards Barangka Drive and Pinatubo towards EDSA. In the eastern portion of the city it also has the famous malls and establishments such as the Megamall, Shangri-La, Podium and San Miguel Corporation. Almost all businesses and personal services stores dominates the whole roads in the city
    •  Major Tourist Spots  Plaza Tatlong Bayani  Liwasang Katubusan  Don Bosco Technical College formerly San Carlos Seminary  San Felipe Neri Church  Dambana ng mga Alaala  EDSA Shrine  Kaban ng Hiyas  Archdiocesan Shrine of the Divine Mercy  Dove of Peace Arch / Dambana ng Kagitingan  Bantayog ng Kabataan
    •  Mandaluyong City Hall  Archbishop‘s Palace  Wack Wack Golf and Country Club  San Miguel Corporation Building  Correctional Institute for Women  Hardin ng Pag-Asa  Ilaya Mini Park  Vergara Community Park  Andres Bonifacio Integrated School  Mandaluyong City Science High School  Rizal Technological University
    •  FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS  Sto. Niño Festival (3rd Sunday of          January Mandaluyong Day (February 9) Lavandero Festival (Street Dance and Parade) Miss Mandaluyong & Misis Mandaluyong Beauty Pageants Liberation Parade Bilbiling Mandaluyong (2nd Week of July) Senakulo (Starting Holy Monday) Unang Kilos ng Himagsikan Daluyong sa Mandaluyong (December 16—January 6) Pasko sa Policarpio (November 25—January 6)
    • Marikina  The city is one of the cities that comprise Metro Manila, the National Capital Region in the Philippines. Descriptive Names Shoe Capital of the Philippines Shoe Capital of Asia
    •  Etymology The term Marikina is used after the Americans took possession in the Philippines on June 1901, and at the same time, the creation of the province of Rizal. The area was earlier called Mariquina after Felix Berenguer de Marquina in 1787 who was the governorgeneral at that time, and the town was declared a pueblo under the Spanish colonial government. It is often abbreviated as MKNA.
    •  Geography Located along the eastern border of Metro Manila, bordered on the west by Quezon City, south by Pasig City, and north by San Mateo Rizal. Approximately 21 kilometers away from Manila, and the city is a valley bounded by mountain ranges and sliced by a river.
    •  Short History The spot known as Chorillo in Barangay Barangka was said to be the spot were the Augustinians first arrived in the Marikina valley. It was only in 1630 during the Spanish period that the Jesuits administered the spot and established a settlement naming it Jesus dela Peña meaning Jesus of the Rocks. In 1687, the settlement became a parish and was then known as Mariquina and later on Marikina with the coming of the Americans. There were a lot of legends told as to where the name ―Marikina‖ was derived, some say the town got its name from Captain Berenguer de Marquina during 1787 under the Spanish government; others say the town was named after a Jesuit priest among other foretold legends.
    • Marikina officially became a town in 1787, and in the year 1887 the shoemaking industry started through the pioneering of Don Laureano ―Kapitan Moy‖ Guevarra. Then in 1896, a revolution was formed in the leadership of Andres Bonifacio and his Katipuneros. The local government was then disrupted, but after the Philippine revolution ended Mariquina became the capital of Manila from 1898 to 1899. This is also the period in which Emilio Aguinaldo declared the Philippine Independence.
    • On June 11, 1901 during the American occupation, Mariquina officially became Marikina, and the province of Rizal was created by virtue of Act. No.137. Then on November 7, 1975 the twelve western towns of Rizal including Marikina were made a part of the new Metropolitan Manila Area by Presidential Decree No. 824.
    • During the 20th century, Marikina had fully emerged as a town of shoemakers. It was in 1950 when shoe industries were built in the city and soon waves of workers stayed and Marikina thus the increase in the city population. In 1992, the city completely became an urban city under the direction of Mayor Bayani ―BF‖ Fernando who is the former Chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. It was in December 8, 1996 when the Marikina municipality became a chartered city by virtue of Republic Act No. 8223. The twin city of Marikina is Brampton, Ontario in Canada.
    •  The Land The total land area of Marikina City is approximately 2,150 hectares representing about 3.44% of the total land area of Metro Manila. The land use is more on residential, commercial, industrial, institutional facilities, development, housing projects, and roads structure.
    •  The People Currently, the total population of Marikina is 457,722. The original settlers of the land were Tagalog, until other migrants settled in the city. The people of Marikina are called "Marikeño", but the main language used is Filipino or Tagalog.
    •  Commerce and Industry The city now prides itself as a major host of shoe making, and other multinational and exporting firms. The city has already received numerous citations and awards for its progression. The city commerce in public markets is also in full swing, like the Marikina Public Market also known as Marikina Market Hall or People‘s Mall. Modern shopping malls are also unstoppable. SM Prime Holdings plans to construct an SM City Marikina along Marcos Highway beside the Marikina River and plans to be open this year. There are also various shopping complex with very affordable goods, crafts and delicacies. It is also the primary target of the Philippine government to construct and improve the MarikinaInfanta Road, which is the main highway between NCR and Quezon Province passing through Rizal Province.
    •  Local Products The city is the biggest manufacturer of quality shoes made from rubber, wood (bakya) and plastic. It also manufactures food processing, cigarettes, porcelain and chinawares, confectionary, automobiles and cars, appliances, crafts like bags, hats and slippers.  Famous Foods The city offers various delicacies from diverse cultures, and well-modernized dining facilities in the city proper.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  ANGEL TUAZON ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT  EVOLUTION PARK  CITYHOOD PARK  CLEAN AND GREEN MARIKINA  LRT LINE 2 SANTOLAN STATION  LOYOLA MEMORIAL PARK  MARIKINA INDUSTRIAL ZONE  MARIKINA MARKET MALL  MARIKINA RIVER PARK  MARIKINA SPORTS CENTER
    •  SENTRONG PANGKULTURA NG MARIKINA  SHOE MUSEUM  PARISH OF OUR LADY OF THE ABANDONED  RIVERBANKS CENTER  RIVER CARABAOS  SAN JOSE MANGGAGAWA PARISH CENTER  SM CITY MARIKINA  THE RIVERBEND HOTEL AND CONVENTION CENTER  THE WORLD‘S LARGEST SHOE  TEATRO MARIKINA  WOMEN‘S PARK
    •  Festivals and Other Events  Angkan-Angkan Festival (April 16)  Rehiyon-Rehiyon Festival (December 8)  Sapatero Festival (Oct. 15 to Nov. 30)
    • Muntinlupa  Muntinlupa City is known before as a sleepy, agricultural community and a city that is famous for its national penitentiary, National Bilibid Prison, where the country‘s most dangerous criminals are imprisoned, is now a full developed and progressive city.  Geography It is bordered by Taguig City (north), Parañaque City (northwest), Las Pi ñas City (west), Bacoor Cavite (southwest), and San Pedro Laguna to the east side.
    •  Descriptive Names Emerald City of the Philippines Munti  Etymology The origin of the name ―Muntinlupa‖ came from three accounts: First, due to its thin top soil in the area; Second, as rumor has it, some residents replied to a Spaniards questioning them in the 16th century as to what the name of the place was and their answer was ―Monte sa Lupa‖; third, the place has mountainous land, thus the term ―Monte‖ or mountain became Muntinlupa. However, these said versions cannot be established as correct for there are no records or archives to prove it otherwise. In 1800, Father Joaquin de Zuñiga, a catholic priest, recorded Muntinlupa as la poblacion que sigue se Ilama Muntinlupa that is now referred to a village Poblacion.
    •  Short History During the early 1600, Muntinlupa is under the religious supervision of Augustinians. The education of the residents was also under the convent of Guadalupe Sanctuary until Quijano Bustamante bought the land of Muntinlupa from the residents. Then in 1869, the civil government approved the project of forming a town out of the barrios of Muntinlupa.
    • The place became a district of Morong, Rizal in 1901. Later on, the Municipality of Muntinlupa by Act 1008 of the Philippine Commission is included within the boundary of Laguna province and is placed under Biñan town and San Pedro. Muntinlupa residents protested against this act, thus, on March 22, 1905 the petition of the people were heard and through Act 1308 of Philippine Commission Muntinlupa were returned to Rizal province and became a part of Taguig. A few years later Muntinlupa was eventually separated from Taguig because of its distance.
    • On December 19, 1917, the government grants the petition of the residents for the independent status of the municipality under Executive Order 108 per approval of Governor General Francis Burton Harrison that took effect on January 1, 1918. The first appointed mayor in that year was Vidal Joaquin, while the first elected mayor was Melencio Espeleta. After the 1945 World war, infrastructure projects were implemented such as the first municipal hall, residential houses, factories and other business establishments. Portions of the land area were also developed by the local government. Then on November 7, 1975 upon the creation of Metropolitan Manila Commission by virtue of Presidential Decree 824 (issued by the late President Marcos), Muntinlupa became a part of Metropolitan Manila. Under the administration of Loresca and Argana, education was given priority. Various elementary public schools were built in different communities.
    • In June 13, 1986, after the EDSA revolution, President Corazon C. Aquino appointed Attorney Ignacio Bunye as officer-in-charge of Muntinlupa City. This appointment is in lieu of nationwide revamp of local government units following the EDSA revolution in February of that year. Attorney Ignacio Bunye served the municipality for three consecutive terms together with Vice mayor Attorney Jaime R. Fresnedi. The administration implemented various projects that led to the municipality‘s progression. Upon the ratification of the 1986 Constitution, Muntinlupa and Las Piñas became one district on June 13, 1986. Muntinlupa was divided into two districts: Districts I include the communities of Tunasan, Poblacion, Putatan and Bayanan, while District II consisted of Sucat, Buli, Cupang, Alabang and New Alabang. December 6, 1988, President Corazon C.
    • During Bunye‘s Administration, Muntinlupa signed on March 1, 1994 a sisterhood pact with Gunma, Japan establishing bilateral relations between the two municipalities. Then on February 16, 1995 through House Bill No. 14401 as approved by the House of Representatives, the municipality of Muntinlupa was turned into a highly urbanized city. Later on, Muntinlupa becomes a charter city upon signing of Republic Act 7926 by President Fidel V. Ramos. The first congressman representing Muntinlupa City is nonetheless Attorney Ignacio R. Bunye. By virtue of Republic Act No. 7926, Muntinlupa becomes the 65th city in the Philippines as signed on March 1, 1995. The first day of the month of March was also approved by the city council on February 26, 1996 as ―Muntinlupa-Gunma Friendship Day‖.
    • On June 29, 1998, Attorney Jaime R. Fresnedi became the new mayor of Muntinlupa City. Under his leadership various new projects were undertaken such as new agencies for the delivery of basic services to the people of Muntinlupa City, infrastructure projects and education-related programs. Recent developments came from another sister-city agreement with Staffanstorp, Sweden on October 17, 2000. Then Muntinlupa City receives the first ISO 9002 compliance certification from Reyland Nepomuceno of TUV products on March 1, 2001. Another milestone is the signing of the third sister city pact with Liuzhou, China on November 3-7, 2004. Cultural exchanges, technology transfer and trade interactions is a big help in making the city more productive and up-to-date.
    •  The Land Muntinlupa is situated 22 kilometers South of Metro Manila, accessible through the National Higway and South Luzon Expressway. The total land area of Muntinlupa City is 46.70 square kilometers or 4,670 hectares. The terrain of the city is relatively flat to slopping towards the east, as gentle rolling hills occupy the western part with elevation increasing up to 60 meters. The land is suited for lowland rice, corn, root, crops and cogon grass due to its Guadalupe Clay Loam Series type of soil. The total land use is more on Residential, followed by Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Agriculture and other utilities.
    •  The People According to the 2,000 census, the City of Muntinlupa has a total population of 379,310 with 78,016 households. Languages used by the people are diversified.
    •  COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY The city was recently awarded as the ―Most Competitive City‖ and the ―Most Improved City ‖ in the Philippines for its 9,957 number of various business establishments, large scale commercial real estate development projects such as Filinvest Corporate City by Filinvest Development Corporation and Madrigal Business Park by Ayala Land Inc. Muntinlupa has now become a super city having top premier shopping centers such as Alabang Town Center and Festival Supermall; corporate office towers such as Insular Life Towers; the famous hospital with well-equipped facilities i.e. Asian Hospital and Medical Center; and Information-Technology industries that can be seen in the Northgate Business District.
    •  LOCAL PRODUCTS Muntinlupa city has manufacturing products, semiconductor, food, textile and manufacturing industries.  FAMOUS FOODS The city offers a lot of food stores, food stalls, fine dining restaurants, and fastfood chains with various delectable dishes.
    •  Major Attractions Tourist  JAMBOREE LAKE  THE JAPANESE CEMETERY  MEMORIAL HILL  THE DIRECTORS QUARTERS  THE BUREAU OF CORRECTIONS ADMINISTRATION
    • Other tourist destinations are:  Alabang Town Center  Ayala Alabang Country Club  Festival Supermall  Filinvest Corporate City  Madrigal Business Center District  Metropolis Mall  National Bilibid Prison (NBP)  Palms Country Club
    •  Festivals and Other Events  Banhayan Festival (Buli and Cupang communities)  Bulaklakan Festival (Bayanan community)  Grand Santacruzan  Samahang Batya (Alabang community)  Senakulo  Serenata
    • Navotas  The City of Navotas is a 1st class city in Metro Manila, Philippines.  Descriptive Name Fishing Capital of the Philippines  Etymology The name Navotas originally comes from the word Nabutas because of a natural phenomenon which created the Navotas River.
    •  Navotas is part of the informal subregion of Metro Manila called CAMANAVA. This subregion, aside from Navotas, includes the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, and Valenzuela.  Geography It is bordered on the north by Obando, Bulacan along Sukol Creek; on the south by the city of Manila; on the east by Daang Binuangan River, Bangkulasi Channel, Malabon Channel and Estero de Maypajo; and on the west by Manila Bay.
    •  The Land Navotas is a coastal town in the northwest part of Metro Manila. It is a narrow strip of land with an aggregated shoreline of approximately 4.5 km.  The People and Industry According to National Statistics Office in the year 2010 the population of the City of Navotas is 249, 131 and 70% of this population is deriving their livelihood directly or indirectly from fishing and its related industries like fish trading, fish net mending, and fish producing having marginal percentage of inter-Island fish producers.
    •  Short History Years ago, the town of Navotas was not known by its present name for it was only considered as part of Malabon. The place appeared to be a long and narrow delta with a thick line of pandan leaves, which grew abundantly extending from north to south along the seashore. It was believed that long ago, the town was not entirely surrounded by water. Old folks believed that the layer of land between the former district of Tondo, Manila and this town was probably soft and weak, such that the turbulent waters of the bay gradually eroded a portion of the land, until an opening was made. Soon seawater begun to flow through its opening especially during high tide. At low tide, the waters from inland flowed out into the sea. This geographical change prompted the people to refer to the place as ―nabutas‖ which means breached or pierced through. This developed into a regular waterway, now
    • In later years, the whole place came to be known as Navotas. The movement for a separate Navotas, which was by that time part of Tambobong, now Malabon started on December 20, 1827 when the ―principales‖ of the three barrios of San Jose, Navotas, and Bangkulasi petitioned the Spanish Government to form a new town citing among others, the difficulty of the people to transact business and attend religious festivities of the mother town. On October 31, 1832, the residents of the three barrios nominated Don Bernabe Francisco to represent them in their fight for separation from Malabon. But the petition of the principales of the three barrios was shelved by the government on September 19, 1855 pending the putting up by the people of Navotas of a church, convent, and a town hall that symbolized their sincerity. In spite of the determined efforts of the principales, their petition was again disapproved on August 19, 1856. Instead of being discouraged, the successive rebuff only served to prod them to work harder.
    • Finally, a document dated February 16, 1859 recorded the separation of barrios San Jose, Navotas, and Bangkulasi from Malabon. When the Philippine Revolution broke out in 1896, Navotas formally joined the revolutionary government of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo on August 6, 1898. On June 11, 1901, the town of Navotas was incorporated into the newly created province of Rizal by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 137. In 1903, by virtue of the Philippine Commission Act No. 942, the municipalities of Malabon and Navotas were merged into one by which the former was chosen as the seat of government for economic and centralization purposes. Bernardo Dagala of Navotas fought for the separation of Navotas from Malabon, finally, Navotas gained full independence as a distinct municipality through the enforcement of the Philippine Commission Act No. 142 lasts January
    • On November 1975, in the exercise of emergency power during martial law of the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos, Presidential Decree No. 824 created the Metropolitan Manila Commission, which placed Navotas together with twelve (12), other municipalities of Rizal and the four (4) cities under its jurisdiction. Today, Navotas, after a long wait, was proclaimed as a fullpledge city last June 24, 2007, upon obtaining 12,544 affirmative votes on a plebiscite. Navotas, together with the other fifteen (15) cities and one (1) municipality (Pateros) remain part of Metropolitan Manila, particularly of the National Capital Region (NCR). As mandated by the Local Government Code of 1991, this LGU is also guided by various devolved, deconcentrated and concerned National Government Agencies likewise encouraging the support and participation of the NonGovernment Organization on its undertaking towards
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  Navotas Fishery Port  Dry-Docking Facilities  Floating Dry Dock  Raid Type Dry Docking  Belt Type Docking  Soon to be the Shrine of St. Joseph in the Diocese of
    •             Festivals San Ildefonso (January 23) San Roque Feast Day (Last Sunday of January) San Jose Feast Day ( First Sunday of May) San Lorenzo Ruiz Feast Day (Last Sunday of September) San Rafael Feast (Last Sunday of October) Holy Cross (Good Friday) Black Nazarene (Good Friday) Mutya ng Navotas Sagalahang Bayan (May Flower Festival) Linggo ng mga MangingisdaPangisdaan Festival Penetensiya—(Tanza and Bangculasi)
    • Pasay  Pasay City is known in different descriptions such as The Premier Gateway to the Philippines, The Travel City, The Travel Capital of The Philippines  Geography Pasay City is bordered by Manila City on the north side, Makati City on the northeast, Taguig City on the east side, and Parañaque City on the south. This city is one of the key cities in Metro Manila, Philippines.
    •  The Land Pasay City has a total land area of 18.50 square kilometers. The city is the third smallest political subdivision in the National Capital Region yet it has the greater area devoted to utilities covering 51.35% of the total land area. The city has various entertainment, and business establishments.  The People The current population of the city is 408,610 with 73,846 households. Predominant language used is Tagalog, followed by English language.
    •  Short History According to history records, the name of the place came from various versions, one version came from the love story of Jose Rizal and his first love Paz during the early years when their love was forbidden by the latter‘s parents. When Paz died, Jose Rizal was said to have cried out in loud anguish and uttered ―Paz-ay!‖ in her grave and later on the parents of Paz also named their hacienda Paz-ay which eventually became the name of the whole Pasay town. Another version is that Pasay was derived from an abundant ―pasaw‖ or a plant with an exotic aroma within the vicinity of the place during the early years. Others say it was named after a princess of the Namayan Kingdom,
    • In June 21, 1947 Pasay became a city and was renamed Rizal City in honor of Dr. Jose Rizal, the country‘s national hero. However, in 1949 the city‘s name was renamed back to Pasay. Currently, Pasay City boasts of its newly opened SM Mall of Asia, the biggest SM Mall ever built in the Philippines in the Bay area on May 21, 2006.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  Cuneta Astrodome  Design Center of the Philippines  Manila Domestic Airport  Manila Film Center  National Government Offices such as Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), among many other.  Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal II and III  Philippine International Convention Center (PICC)
    •  Philippine Trade Training Center  Philippine World Trade Center – Various exhibits both local and international are held here.  SM Mall of Asia  Theme Parks such as Star City, Nayong Pilipino and Boom na Boom.  Villamor Airbase
    •  COCONUT PALACE  CULTURAL CENTER OF THE PHILIPPINES (CCP)  FOLK ARTS THEATER  GSIS MUSEUM AND ARCHIVES  PHILIPPINE MUSEUM OF ETHNOLOGY  RESIDENCES OF RECTO AND QUEZON  STA. CLARA PARISH CHURCH
    •       Festivals Cenakulo Pasko ng Pagkabuhay Flores de Mayo Search for Ms. Pasay Celebration of Pasay Day  Serenata  Tiburin Race
    • Pasig  Pasig is one of the highly ubanized city of in Metro Manila in the Philippines and was the former capital of the province of Rizal prior to the formation of this grouping of cities designated as the National Capital Region.  Geography Located along the eastern border of Metro Manila, Pasig is bordered on the west by Quezon City and Mandaluyong City; to the north by Marikina City; to the south by Makati City, Pateros, and Taguig City; and to the east by Antipolo City, the
    •  Etymology The city's name Pasig was believed to have come from the old Sanskrit word “passid”, or sand, which refers to the tribal community beside the sandy edges of the river. Some historians believed that El Pasig came from Legaspi (Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the Basque explorer well known for being involved in the "Sanduguan", and was the first Governor-General of the Spanish East Indies. It was pronounced “mapaksik” by the Pre-Hispanic Chinese inhabitants of Binondo, Manila (Mabagsik is Tagalog for "terrifyin g" - depicting the river's raging current during the typhoon season, causing massive floods on nearby towns and villages, destroying wide hectares of farmland, and even bringing huge amounts of logs and water lilies from Marikina River, Laguna de Bay, and San Juan River towards Colonial Manila). “Mapaksik"later became "Pah-sik", and was then changed to what is now "Pasig". It may have also come from the Tagalog word "dalampasigan",
    • According to Jose Villa Panganiban, the former director of The Institute of National Language, "Pasig" is another ancient Sanskrit word meaning ― A waterway coming from one body of water to another,‖ which briefly describes the river because its flow starts from Laguna de Bay, leading to Manila Bay.
    •  Short History On June 11, 1901 the province of Rizal was created through Act No. 137 of Philippine Commission. Pasig was incorporated into the province of Rizal, and was designated as the capital of the new province. In 1975, Pasig was carved out of Rizal province and became part of Metro Manila when the Metro Manila Commission (precursor of Metro Manila Authority and later Metropolitan Manila Development Authority) was created by Pres. Ferdinand Marcos through Presidential Decree 824.
    • In July 1994, Pasig was converted into a highly urbanized city through Republic Act 7829. And in December 1994, President Fidel V. Ramos signed it into law, which was ratified through a plebiscite on January 21, 1995.
    •  The Land Pasig City is regarded as highly industrialized because of the presence of big manufacturing companies. It has the largest number of establishments in the district, which is 16,387 with a land area of 31.0 sq. km.  Population As of 2009 the population 652,358.
    •  Commerce and Industry The western part of the city is where most of Pasig's financial resources are primarily concentrated. It includes numerous factories, warehouses, establishments and commercial facilities. Primarily they situated in the Ortigas Center, Pasig proper and along E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue (C-5) and Ortigas Avenue. Real estate and commercial developments along Mercedes Avenue and other areas near the city center are developing. The eastern part was mostly dominated with residential areas but numerous commercial establishment are now developing along Marcos Highway. Per capita income (GDP) of Pasig is $12,032 per year. The barangay of San Antonio has the largest income in Pasig, second only to San Lorenzo of Makati as the largest single incomegenerated government unit in the Philippines. Arguably more significant western part of Pasig, east of the city of Mandaluyong and as part of the barangay of San Antonio, lies the Ortigas Center.
    •               Major Tourist Destinations Pasig City Hall Mutya ng Pasig Public Market Plaza Bonifacio Concepcion Mansion: Pasig Museum Immaculate Conception Parish (ICP) Church Rizal High School Plaza Rizal Bahay na Tisa Eugenio Lopez Foundation, Inc Doña Geronima's Cave Pasig City Convention Center Rizal Provincial Capitol Rainforest Park
    •  Festivals and other Events  Araw ng Pasig  Summer Music Festival  Itik-Itik Festival  Paskong Himig  Bambino Festival  Sunduan  Pakalog Festival  Pista ng Batampasig
    • Paranaque  Paranaque City or Lungsod ng Palanyag is one of the key cities that comprise Metro Manila.  Geography The place is bordered by Pasay City in the north side, Taguig City in the northeast, Muntinlupa City in the southeast, Las Piñas City in the southwest and Manila Bay to the west side.
    •  Descriptive Name The Fashion Capital of the Philippines The City of Lights  Short History The name of the city was derived from the phrase ―para na aque‖ meaning ―stop now, boy‖ which is commonly said by people who wished to get off from ―kalesas‖ or horse-drawn carriages during the Spanish era.
    • In 1572 the place was founded by Spanish missionaries and called it ―Palanyag‖ meaning beloved. The early settlers were into salt-making, fishing, rice planting, shoemaking, slipper-making and weaving which they trade off to Chinese, Indonesians, Indians and Malayans along the shores of Palanyag. Then in 1580, the town fell under the authority of the Augustinians led by Fr. Diego de Espinar and in the same year Palanyag became an independent town. The town became one of the hot battle zones during the Philippine Revolution in the 19th century since it is a gateway between Cavite where the revolutionary Katipuneros stayed, and Manila, as the Spanish seat of Government. Upon the American occupation, Parañaque became one of the first municipalities in Metro Manila. And on February 15, 1998, the municipality of Parañaque became a
    •  The Land The total land area is 47.7 square kilometers which consists of residential, commercial centers, industrial areas, multinational companies and other service establishments.  The People The current population of the city is estimated to be at 564,247 with 118,050 households. The predominant language used by the people is Tagalog and English for business transactions.
    •  Commerce and Industry Trade and commerce are much evident in the northern communities of Parañaque such as Baclaran. This is where affordable dry goods, ready-to-wear clothings can be found. In Barangay La Huerta seafoods products can be directly purchased from the boat, thus the place is called ―fisherman‘s wharf‖. Other businesses and establishments can also be seen along the stretch of Sucat. Day in and day out business transactions are always on the go in these avenues. As to the southern portion of the city, various industrial estates and plants operates 24 hours a day, such as Toyota Motor Philippines, Johnson and Johnson's, Motorola, Philacor (GE, White-Westinghouse), Columbia Motors (BMW, Hyundai, Kia), and Astra Pharmaceuticals.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  BACLARAN CHURCH  BACLARAN BARGAIN MARKET  DAMPA  FIESTA SHOPPING MALL  LA HUERTA  SUCAT MOTOR SHOPS
    •  Other interesting sites in the city:  Casino Filipino  Loyola Memorial Park  Manila Memorial Park  Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal I  Parañaque City Hall.  SM City Bicutan  SM City Sucat  St. Andrew‘s Cathedral
    •  Festivals  Araw ng Palanyag (Parañaque Day)  Caracol  Flores de Mayo  Komedya  Linggo ng Palaspas or Domingo de Ramos  Pasyon or Pabasa  Salubong (Easter Vigil) and Pasko ng Pagkabuhay (Feast of the Resurrection)  Semana Santa or Holy Week  Sinakulo or Via Crucis (Way of the Cross)  Sunduan
    • Quezon City  Quezon City is one of the key cities and municipalities that comprise Metro Manila, the National Capital Region.  Etymology The place is also popularly known as simply QC, named after the former president of the
    •  The city is formerly the capital of the Philippines and is currently the seat of the House of Representatives in Batasang Pambansa. This is also where the two main universities of Ateneo de Manila University and the University of the Philippines are located.
    •  Short History The city was once a small town adjoined by then now known as the communities of San Francisco del Monte, Novaliches, and Balintawak. In 1896, the Philippine Revolution was declared by Andres Bonifacio in Pugad Lawin which is now the Bahay Toro at Project 8, Quezon City.
    • In the turn of 19th century the late President of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon visioned a city, thus in 1938 President Quezon established People's Homesite Corporation and purchased 15.29 km² from the vast Diliman estate of the Tuason family. And on October 12, 1939, a bill was approved naming the city after President Quezon. On July 17, 1948 after the World War II, Quezon City became the Philippine Republic‘s capital and in the year 1950 in accordance to Republic Act No. 537, the city boundaries were extended to additional 153.59 km² in land area. However on November 7, 1975 in lieu of Presidential Decree No. 824 by President Ferdinand Marcos, Metro Manila was established and Quezon City became one of the 17 cities and municipalities of Metro Manila. And the following year, Manila became the official capital city of the Philippines.
    • President Ferdinand Marcos ordered the transfer of the remains of the late President Manuel Quezon from Manila North Cemetery to the erected Quezon Memorial Monument in Quezon Elliptical Road. Currently, the city has developed a database system that is capable of recording property payments and the very first local government in the country with the said computerized real estate assessment and payment system.
    •  The Land Quezon City has a total land area of 16,112.12 hectares which is almost one-fourth of the National Capital Region (NCR) and has the biggest land area compared to other cities and municipalities. It is bordered by Manila in the southwest side, Caloocan City and Valenzuela City in the west and northwest, San Juan and Mandaluyong City in the south side, Marikina City and Pasig City to the southeast side, Marilao River in the north, Rodriguez and San Mateo in the east side. The city's topography is largely rolling with alternating ridges and lowlands. The land area is mostly residential with 45.45% of its total land area, institutional government agencies, Batasang Pambansa, medical institutions, public parks and some industrial facilities in the north side of the city.
    •  The People The city has a latest population of 2,173,831 people spread over four districts and 142 barangays with District II as the most densely populated area estimated at 942,074 people. Population growth rate is 1.92%.
    •  Commerce and Industry Quezon City has 55,759 business establishments as of 2001 and with the further development of commercial and industrial ventures, the city has potential to increase further its number for big businesses. Business establishments range from Wholesale and retail trade at 47%, followed by manufacturers at 12%, hotels and restaurants, real estate and other leasing business services, community and other personal services.
    • The city is said to be the richest local government in the country in terms of asset, cash in banks internal revenue allotment, gross income, and gross net income. It is also the major entertainment capital of the Philippines as it is a home to major television broadcasting networks such as ABC, ABSCBN, GMA Network, NBN, RPN, and IBC and is known for having various restaurants providing fine dining to fast food, bars and cafes. The city also has various shopping malls, a coliseum and amusement parks. Big telecommunication companies also have their branch offices in the city vicinity.
    •           Major Tourist Attractions ARANETA CENTER ARANETA COLISEUM BARRIO LA LOMA BARRIO PUGAD LAWIN BALINTAWAK CAMP CRAME AND CAMP AGUINALDO FIESTA CARNIVAL COMPLEX LA MESA DAM WATER RESERVOIR MABUHAY ROTUNDA PARKS AND WILDLIFE BUREAU
    •  PHILIPPINE NUCLEAR RESEARCH INSTITUTE  QUEZON CITY HALL  QUEZON MEMORIAL CIRCLE/ SHRINE  THOMAS MORATO AND TIMOG AVENUE (TOURIST BELT AREA)  UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES
    •  Other historical destinations in Quezon City are: • Balara Park • Bantayog ng mga Bayani • EDSA Shrine and Sigaw ng Pugad Lawin Shrine. • La Mesa Ecopark • People Power Monument • Philippine Science High School • San Pedro Bautista Church (the second oldest church in the country)
    • San Juan City  San Juan is one of the cities that comprises the National Capital Region of the Philippines.  It is the smallest city in the region and the country in terms of land area. The city is known for being the site of the first battle of the Katipunan against troops of the Spanish Empire in 1897.
    •  Etymology "San Juan City" is a contraction of the city's longer, ceremonial name of San Juan del Monte (English: "Saint John of the Mountain"). As with numerous other places in the Philippines, the city is christened after John the Baptist, the city's patron saint, and the hilly terrain it is situated on.  Descriptive Names Heart of Metro Manila Home of Philippine Presidents Tiangge Capital of the Philippines
    •  Geography It is bordered by Quezon City on the north and east, Mandaluyong City on the south, and the City of Manila in the west. The territory of San Juan was once much larger than it is presently, stretching all the way to Caloocan City. Parts of what are now Districts 1, 2 and 4 of Quezon City as well as parts of Mandaluyong were originally within San Juan's territorial boundaries. This explains why San Juan Reservoir is in nearby Horseshoe Village, a subdivision currently under the jurisdiction of Quezon City.  People According to the NSO Census in the year 2010 the total population of San Juan City is 121,
    •  Short History During the pre-Hispanic period, the area of what is now San Juan was a part of the Kingdom of Namayan, whose last recorded rulers were King Lacantagean and his consort, Bouan. When the Spanish first took over the kingdom which they rechristened as Sta. Ana de Sapa, the village remained a part of it, re-classified as a barrio and later becoming a small encomienda by 1590. In 1602, the Dominican friars built a retreat house for their immediate use, where aging or convalescing friars stayed. Later, the Dominicans constructed a convent and a stone church dedicated to the Holy Cross. To this day, the thrice-rebuilt Santuario del Santo Cristo stands on the same site, adjacent to the Aquinas School and the Dominican College.
    • In 1783, San Juan became independent of Santa Ana but it was still then a barrio within the Province of Manila. The opening salvo of the Philippine Revolution against Spain, began in San Juan in 1897 with an attack by the Katipunan on the alamacen (armoury) or polvorín (gunpowder magazine) of the Spanish East Indies government. The town was later incorporated into the Province of Rizal in 1901 during the American Occupation.
    • On 7 November 1975, President Ferdinand Marcos signed Presidential Decree № 824 that established the National Capital Region. San Juan was among the towns that were excised from Rizal Province. Voters in San Juan ratified the conversion of the municipality into a highly urbanized city on 16 June 2008, pursuant to Republic Act No. 9388 ("An Act Converting the Municipality of San Juan into a Highly Urbanized City to be known as the City of San Juan"). Then Congressman Ronaldo B. Zamora sponsored the Cityhood Bill in the House of Representatives and worked for its approval.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  St. John the Baptist Church  Old Convent of Kabayanan and Sanctuario de Santo Cristo Church  The Learning Resource Center Building at San Juan Elementary School Compound  Spirit of 1896 Monument  Greenhills Shopping Center  Pinaglabanan Shrine  Monuments of Andres Bonifacio & Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo  Club Filipino
    •  Festivals  Wattah, Wattah Fiesta or Feast of St. John the Baptist (June 24)  Anniversary of San Juan / San Juan Day (March 27)  Feast of the Holy Cross Church (May 3)  Battle of San Juan del Monte (August 30)
    • Taguig City  The City of Taguig is a highly urbanized city located in south-eastern portion of Metro Manila in the Philippines. From a thriving fishing community along the shores of Laguna de Bay, it is now an important residential, commercial and industrial center.
    •  Geography Taguig City lies on the western shore of Laguna de Bay and is bordered by Muntinlupa City to the south, Parañaque to the southwest, Pasay to the west, Cainta and Taytay on the northeast and Makati, Pateros, and Pasig to the north. Taguig River, a tributary of the Pasig River cuts through the northern half of the municipality and Napindan River, also a tributary of the Pasig forms the common border of Taguig with Pasig City.
    •  Etymology The original 800 farmer-fishermen settlers of the area were good at threshing rice after harvest. Hence they were referred to as "mga taga-giik," and their settlement as "pook ng mga taga-giik." Spanish friar Fray Alonso de Alvarado, together with conquistador Rey Lopez de Villalobos who crossed Pasig River to reach Taguig in 1571 found "taga-giik" difficult to pronounce, and could only produce the word sounding like "tagui-ig." So many mispronouncements later, "tagui-ig" was shortened to the present day "Taguig.― Descriptive Name Metro Manila's ProbinSyudad
    •  Short History Before the Spaniards came to the Philippines, Taguig was once a part of the Kingdom of Tondo which was ruled by Rajah Soliman. The city was one of the first territories that have been influenced by Christianity when the Spaniards took control of Luzon. In 1587, it was established as a separate town of Manila, which was still a province during that time. Taguig was then accessible through the Pasig River and connects it to Manila Bay and Laguna de Bay. Fishing was one of the main sources of livelihood for its residents.
    • When the Americans took over the country, Taguig was made into an independent municipality on March 1900. A year later, it was incorporated into the province of Rizal when Act. No. 137 was promulgated. In 1903, the city was merged together with Muntinlupa and Pateros by the virtue of Act. No. 942. The setup did not last long. Muntinlupa was made part of Binan just a month after the merger. In March 1905, Muntinlupa was returned to Taguig. After three years, Taguig was again made into an independent municipality. In January 1, 1918, both Taguig and Pateros became independent municipalities of Rizal.
    • It was during the occupation of the Americans that a sizeable part of the Taguig was made into Fort McKinley. When the Philippines gained its political independence from the U.S. in 1946, the Americans surrendered control of the country but retained its hold on the military bases. In May 1949, control of Fort McKinley was finally turned over to the Philippine government. In November 1975, Taguig was separated from the province of Rizal during the formation of the National Capital Region. In December 8, 2004, Taguig officially became a city.
    •  Population Total of 613,343 (as of August 2007 Census) with a population growth rate of 3.82% from 2000-2007.  The Land The total land are of the city of Taguig is 45.21 km². Major Economic Activity Commercial and Service Centers
    •                Major Tourist Attractions Laguna de Bay Dambanang Kawayan Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Anne Simborio The Blue Mosque Parola The Plaza Quezon Bantayog ng mga Bayani ng Tipas DOST Mini-Forest and EcoPark The VFP Museum Libingan ng mga Bayani The American Cemetery and Memorial Plaza Bonifacio Fort Bonifacio Global City
    •  Festivals  Sta. Anang Banak Taguig River Festival  Karera ng mga Bangkang Lunday  Boys and Girls Festival Parade  Banak Fish-Cone Tossing Ceremony  Pagodahan  Pandangguhan  Taga-giik Festival  Mutya ng Taguig Pageant  Flurry of the Streamers  Grand Foundation Day Parade  Pagiikan Mini Olympics
    • Valenzuela City  Valenzuela is the 119th largest city of the Philippines and one of the 16 cities plus a municipality that compose the region of Metro Manila, located about 14 km (7.9 miles) north of Manila.  Valenzuela is categorized by virtue of Republic Act Nos. 7160 and 8526 as a highly urbanized, first-class city based on income classification and number of population. A chartered city located on the island of Luzon.
    •  Land and People It is bordered by Meycauayan, Bulacan in the north, Quezon City and northern Caloocan to the east; by Obando, Bulacan to the west; by Malabon, southern Caloocan and Tullahan River to the south. With a land mass of 44.59 km2 and a population of 575,356 in August 2010, Valenzuela is the 13th most populous city in the Philippines. Valenzuela's population is composed of 72% Tagalog people followed by 5% Bicolanos. Small percentage of foreign nationals reside in the city.
    •  Etymology Valenzuela Valenzuela, a of Katipunan. was named doctor and  Descriptive Names The Vibrant City The City of Discipline after Pío a member
    •  Short History Valenzuela means "little Valencia" in Spanish, and is also the surname Dr. Pío Valenzuela, a Filipino physician and patriot who was among the leaders of the Katipunan that started the Philippine Revolution against Spain after which the city was named. The historic City of Valenzuela was originally known as Polo, and established as an independent town of the province of Bulacan in 1623. Polo was once just a part of the town of Meycauayan called "Catangalan". The territory of the new town encompassed the vast lands that stretched from the town of Obando, to the forests of Novaliches. The Franciscans, in the person of Fr. Juan Taranco, administered the newly created
    • During its long history played an important role in development of northern Metro Manila. Valenzuela City, before its cityhood on 1998, was divided into an Spanish friar hacienda, small political settlement and Spanish garrison before Philippine Independence in 1898. Valenzuela was once part of Bulacan province. In the 19th century, its huge land area was subdivided into Polo, Novaliches, Obando and others merged into the province of Morong. Later on in the American Period, Valenzuela became part of Bulacan and started the construction of Marcelo H. del Pilar Expressway. The expressway later became North Luzon Expressway during Marcos's era. The liberation of the Philippines from Japanese rule on 1946 resulted in the division of Valenzuela into two towns.
    • On 1960, President Diosdado Macapagal signed a bill creating a municipality of Valenzuela independent from Bulacan. However, on 1963, the municipality was redivided, the north Polo, to be under Bulacan again, while the southern Valenzuela town became an independent municipality. The creation of MMDA and NCR during Marcos's administration led to unification of Polo and Valenzuela into the municipality of Valenzuela in 1975. Valenzuela City finally attained cityhood status on February 14,
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  Arkong Bato  Japanese Cemetery  San Diego de Alcala Church  Residence of Dr. Pio Valenzuela  Museo Valenzuela  Church of San Roque  National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima
    •  Festivals  Charter Day Celebration (February 14)  San Roque Festival (May12)  Dr. Pio Valenzuela Day (July 11)  Putong Polo Festival (November 12)
    • Pateros  The Municipality of Pateros is a first-class municipality in Metro Manila, Philippines. This small town is famous for its duckraising industry and especially for producing balut, a Filipino delicacy that is boiled duck egg.  Pateros is also known for the production of red salty eggs and "inutak", a local rice cake.  Moreover, the town is known for manufacturing of "alfombra", a locally-made footwear with a carpet-like fabric on its top surface.
    •  Geography and Population Pateros is bordered by Pasig City to the north, Makati City to the west, and Taguig City to the south. Pateros is the only municipality and the smallest, both in population and in land area, in Metro Manila, but it is the second most densely populated at around 29 thousand people per square kilometer after Manila.  Major Economic Activity Commercial and Service
    •  Etymology The name Pateros most likely derived from the duck-raising industry. The Tagalog word (of Spanish origin) for "duck" is pato and pateros means "duckraisers". Edmund Roberts used Duck-town as the alternate name for Pateros, stating that he "never before saw so many ducks together," in one place. Another theory, though less known, is that the name may allude to the town's small shoe-making industry. The Tagalog word for "shoe"—also of Spanish origin—is sapatos and shoemakers are called sapateros.
    •  History Before 1770, Pateros was only a barrio of Pasig until the Spanish Governor-General in the Philippines issued a decree making Pateros an independent municipality. The town was then composed of five barangays (villages), namely, Aguho, San Roque, Sta. Ana, Sto. Rosario and Mamancat (now a portion of Fort Bonifacio). On March 29, 1900, Pateros became one of the towns in the newly created province of Rizal, by virtue of General Order No. 40, Act No. 137 of the Philippine Commission, which was promulgated on June 11, 1901. Then on October 12, 1903, Act No. 942 combined Pateros, Taguig City and Muntinlupa City into a single municipality under Pateros. The municipality was renamed Taguig on March 22, 1905, through Act No. 1308. Executive Order No. 20 dated February 29, 1908 separated Pateros from Taguig. Pateros then regained its independent status as a municipality on January 1, 1909 by Executive Order No. 36. On November 7, 1975, Pateros became a part of the
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  New Municipal Hall  Dulong Bayan Monument  San Roque Church  Manggahan Shrine  Balut-Making  Garden of Memories Memorial Park  Old Houses  Alfombra Slippers  Pateros River
    •  Festivals  Feast of St. Martha (2nd Sunday of February)  Liberation Day (February 18)  Pateros Foundation (March 29)  Santacruzan/ Flores de Mayo (May)  Feast of St. Martha Old (July 29)  Feast of St. Roque (August 16)  Full Moon Festival
    • City of Manila  Manila City or in Filipino ―Lungsod ng Maynila‖, is the capital of the Philippines. The City is situated at the mouth of the Pasig River on the eastern shores of Manila Bay on Luzon western side.  Geography The city is bordered by several cities and municipalities such as Navotas and Caloocan City in the north, Quezon City in the northeast, San Juan and Mandaluyong City in the east, Makati City in the southeast, and Pasay City in the south side.
    •  Manila has been classified as a "Gamma" global city by the Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network and is also known as the National Capital Region (NCR) since the metropolis is currently a thriving metropolitan area which consists of 17 cities and municipalities.  Etymology The city‘s name was derived from a flowering mangrove plant ―the nilad‖ that grew on the shores of the bay at that time, thus, of the name Maynilad.
    •  Short History Manila began as a small Muslim settlement on the banks of the Pasig River along the shores of Manila Bay. The city was then a prosperous Islamic community under the governance of Rajah Sulayman.
    • It was in the year 1570 when Miguel Lopez de Legazpi demanded the invasion of Manila, thus the Spaniards came under the command of Martin de Goiti defeated and crushed native settlements to the ground upon encountering resistance from the Muslim king. The following year, the Spanish conquistador Miguel Lopez de Legazpi arrived and made a peace pact with three Rajahs or Muslim leaders (Rajah Sulayman, Rajah Matanda, and Rajah Lakandula) and organized a city council consisting of two mayors, 12 councilors, and a secretary. At this time, the Spaniards built a walled city known as Intramuros to protect the colonizers. Then, on June 10, 1574 King Philip II of Spain gave Manila the title of ―Distinguished and Ever Loyal City‖. In the year 1595, Manila became the capital of the Philippines. In the
    • In 1898, the United States occupied and controlled Manila till 1946. Spain handed over the Philippines to the United States of America for US$ 20,000,000 upon its defeat in the battle and ending 377 years of Spanish rule in the country. On December 31, 1941 the city was declared an open city By President Manuel L. Quezon and was later occupied by Japanese forces on January 2, 1942. During World War II much of the city was destroyed, but then upon the return of General Douglas McArthur in the Philippines on February 5, 1945 Manila officially gained its freedom. In July of 1946, the Commonwealth government under Manuel L. Quezon declared independence.
    • Reconstruction of Manila soon came after and the population grew rapidly. Land was fully developed with subdivisions and residential suddenly flourished. In 1976, four cities: Manila, Pasay, Caloocan and Quezon City and 13 other municipalities was officially designated as "Metro Manila". Today, the city and the metropolis is already a progressive cultural and economic center.
    •  The People The City of Manila is second to the most populous city in the Philippines with a population of 1.5 million residents. The main language is Filipino. However, many Manileños are fluent in English language. A small percentage of the population can also speak Spanish owing to Manila‘s Spanish heritage.
    •  Commerce and Industry The city is progressive in terms of trade and commerce which is attributed to its 24 hours economic activities such as various trading centers, prime harbors, vast array of business establishments, and human resources capability. All of these factors contributed in billions of pesos investments. t is also a plus factor in the city‘s economy that local and international products are placed in Manila where it is sold at a lowest price. In its entirety, the city is now a complete ‗one-stop shopping mall‘ where you can find vast array of goods and other products. The five leading industries or establishment in Manila are Textile and Garments, followed by Food, Personal Products, Chemical and Pharmaceutical, and Rubber or Plastic Products.
    •  Major Tourist Attractions  Bahay Tsinoy  Intramuros Light and Sound Museum  Metropolitan Museum  Museo ng Maynila  Museong Pambata  National Library  National Museum of the Philippines  The Museum – De La Salle University Manila  UST Museum of Arts and Sciences
    •  Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus  Binondo Church also known as the Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz  Malate Church  Manila Cathedral also known as the basilica of Immaculate Concepcion  Quiapo Church also known as the Basilica of the Black Nazarene  San Agustin Church  San Fernando de Dilao Parish Church  San Sebastian Church  Santa Cruz Church  Sto. Niño Parish Church
    •               PLAZ A SAN LUIS FORT SANTIAGO MALACAÑANG PALACE UNIVERSITY OF STO. TOMAS PHILIPPINE NORMAL UNIVERSITY BONIFACIO SHRINE CHINA TOWN BULWAGANG GAT ANTONIO VILLEGAS CASA MANILA RIZAL SHRINE MABINI SHRINE RIZAL PARK Rizal Memorial Sports Complex (RMSC) San Andres Gym (foremrly Mail and More Arena, the home of the Manila MetroStars.)
    •            PASIG RIVER MANILA BAY PLAZA MIRANDA ERMITA DISTRICT BAYWALK ALONG ROXAS BOULEVARD The Supreme Court of the Philippines Rajah Sulayman Park Manila Boardwalk Manila Zoological and Botanical Garden (Manila Zoo) Paco Park, the location of the hit Paco Park Presents University Belt Area
    •             SM City Manila SM Department Store Quiapo SM City San Lazaro Robinson's Place - Manila Harrison Plaza (SM Harrison; Shopwise; Rustan's) Ever Gotesco Manila Plaza (Recto) Isetann Department Store (Recto and Quiapo) Divisoria Flea Market 168 Shopping Mall Tutuban Center (Cluster Building, Centermall & Primeblock) Quiapo Bargain Center, home for endless bargain goods Palengke or Pamilihan sa ilalim ng tulay (literally means "a marketplace under the bridge), a center for indigenous Filipino products
    •  Festivals and other Events  Feast of the Black Nazarene  Feast of the Sto. Nino  Grand Marian Feast  Bailes Delos Arcos  Buling-Buling in Pandacan  Liberation of Manila  Manila Day