It was created by virtue
of Presidential Decree No. 1 as
part of the Integrated
Reorganization Plan of President
Ferdinand Edralin Marcos.
-Two pronounced seasons:
DRY from November to April
WET during the rest of the year
-This prevails over the half of
-Southwestern part of Iloilo and Negros Occidental
-Island of Semirara in Antique
- Seasons are not very pronounced
DRY from November to April
WET during the rest of the year
-Northeastern part of Iloilo and Negros Occidental have
this kind of climate.
AVERAGE ANNUAL TEMPERATURE: 26.7 C˚
Province Capital Population
(per sq. km.)
Cities Municipalities Barangay
Aklan Kalibo 555,146 1,821.4 306 17 327
Antique San Jose de
605,110 2,729.2 222 18 590
Capiz Roxas City 800,920 2,594.6 309 1 16 473
Guimaras Jordan 179,728 604.6 297 5 98
Iloilo Iloilo City 2,371,648 5,079.1 467 2 42 1,901
Bacolod City 3,203,523 7,965.2 402 13 19 662
Source: National Statistics Office
Philippine National Statistics Coordination Board
Philippine Statistical Yearbook 2011
- Negros Occidental
- some parts of Iloilo, Capiz and Aklan
-spoken in Aklan
- spoken in Aklan
- spoken in the northern part of Negros Occidental
It is said to be the oldest
province in the Philippines
organized in 1213 by settlers
from Borneo .
It was inagurated as an
independent province on
November 8, 1956.
It was originally known as
“Minuro it Akean”
northeastern portion of Panay
Sulu Sea on Northwest
Sibuyan Sea on the Northeast
Antique on the west
Capiz on the South
Pinya Cloth Weaving
(“Queen of the Philippine Fabrics”
Pot Making (in Lezo, Aklan)
Palay (no. 1 grown in
ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL (Kalibo, Aklan)
every 3rd Sunday of January
Revelers in colorful costumes and bodies painted black and
their faces made up of grotesquely.
A celebration of the treaty between the Ati and Malayan tribes
who settled in the island. When the spaniards settled in the
region and converted the Malays to Christian religion.
the festivity was celebrated in honor of the Holy Child- Sto.
dedicated to the 19 martyrs of Aklan who started the
revolt against Spain.
Kalantiaw Shrine, Bataan
once the seat of government of Rajah Bendahara Kalantiaw
promulgator of the famous Code of Kalantiaw.
Museo It Akean, Kalibo
A repository of Antiques dug up in Aklan which
trace the province’s rich cultural and
historical past; also houses famous works of
Boracay Island, Malay
“Paradise Island of the Philippines
It is world-famous for its fine lovely palm fringed sugar-
fine white sand beaches, azure waters, coral reefs and
Its area is 1,083 hectares
Consisting of 3 barangays (Balabag, Manok-manok and
Ignito Cave, Buruanga
Locally known as elephant cave due to its appearance
Beautiful limestone formation of stalagmites,
stalactites and other crystalline structures abound.
It has a “skylight” in one of its chambers that lets in a
soft glow of light at noontime.
Jawili Falls, Tangalan
It has 7 basins tiered about 20 feet apart
The highest basin is about 100 feet high, oval-
shaped, around 240 sq. ft. in area and 12 feet deep clear
water almost like a small lake.
The population is largely Malay, immigrants
from Borneo centuries before the Spanish
Antiquenos are very hospitable
They have developed their own distinct
language called Kinaray-a. This dialect is of
Austronesian origins characterized by the
predominance of r’s and schwa sounds spoken
with a lilting gentle intonation.
elongated stretch of land
it is bounded by the rugged mountains of Panay
Aklan in the northeast
Capiz on the east
Iloilo in the southeast
part of China Sea on the west
Celebrated every December 27 to 29
It was started in San Jose 34 years ago by the late Gov. Evelio
Javier, brother of former Congressman now Gov. Exequiel B.
A week lonf festivities of colorful street parades, beach
shows, plaza concerts and beauty concerts.
“Binirayan” biray or “sailboat in Kinaray-a.
A massive white coral building located in Poblacion
South of San Jose de Buenavista
and picture taking.
The first 3
waterfalls with a
height up to 150 ft.
Bugang River, Pandan, Antique Photos
Bugang River has been getting a lot of attention, both national and
“Gawad Pangulo sa Kapaligiran” as the cleanest inland body of water in
2006, Gold Winner in the International Green Apple Environment
Awards for Environmental Best Practice, Local Authorities and
Ecotourism category in London.
1st runner-up during the “Hiyas ng Turismo 2006″ Nationwide Search.
2005, Bugang River was the winner of the “Dangal Ng Ilog” Award
during the 1st National Summit on the State of Philippine Rivers.
was eventually elevated to the Hall of Fame as the “Cleanest Inland
Body of Water” in the Gawad Pangulo Sa Kapaligiran.
Caluya, A hidden gem in Antique
The absence of high-rises further makes the islands a
perfect getaway for nature trippers who want a respite from the
pains of city life. There, they can go snorkeling, diving,
boating or swimming alongside playful dolphins.
The birth place of former
Pres. Manuel L. Roxas
There are two main versions of how Capiz got
1. AKEAN and KAPID
-meaning “twins” which Balingangan,
Datu Bangkaya’s eldest son, names his
territories in honor of his twin daughters
2. When the Spaniards established a
settlement, the found an abundance of a
mollusk called pios or kapid, the old native
name which has also come to known as Capiz.
It is known for its mother-of-pearl shells that
have the same name are used for decoration,
making lampshades, trays, and window doors.
Northeastern portion of Panay Island
bordering Aklan and Antique to the west
Iloilo to the south
It faces the Sibuyan Sea to the North
The town people celebrate their Annual Festival or called it
the Aswang Festival is celebrated every 29th and 30th day on the
month of October.
This includes the parade of participants donning the foremost
dreadful costumes like “kapre”, “wak-wak”, and “tikbalang”.
Built in 1814 in order to repel the invading Moors and Portuguese
These half-torn structures, 7 feet squares, 10 feet high, are vivid souls
of the past. Before they were destroyed, they were twice their present
These towers are made of black pebbles, and are gradually eroding.
One tower is on top of the hill at Sitio Nipa, Culasi and the other one
is at Brgy. Dumolog.
STA. MONICA CHURCH
This ancient and historic monument represents the founding of
christianity on the island of Panay.
it is also the home of the largest Church bell in the Philippines and
“I am God’s voice which shall echo praise from
one end of the town of Pan-ay to the other, so that
Christ’s faithful followers may enter this house of
God to receive heavenly graces.”
About two years ago, townspeople discovered earthen pots with
intricately incised designs.
The caves must have been burial sites of pre-Spanish Filipinos.
The Balisong Cave where the Capiz revolucionarios routed Spanish
soldiers is also found hereabouts.
consists of many chambers, each at a level different from other
In certain sections, space between the roof and cave floor is just
two or three feet.
There are also sections that seem like a dead end, except for
small openings through which only one person can crawl.
These holes lead to a chamber as big as a hotel ballroom, which is
why it is dubbed as the “Quipot Hilton”.
. The cave is cool inside.
about three to four hectares big, this island is located near Olotayan
has white sands, a small cave and abundant shells can be found in the
area. Napti is uninhabited island.
waters are cool and free of troublesome jellyfish the whole year
A small cave, about 100 meters long, winds several feet below the
surface across the island.
An island province of the Philippines.
The youngest and smallest of the 6 provinces on region 6.
located in the Panay Gulf, between the islands of Panay and Negros.
Northwest of Iloilo
Southeast of Negros Occidental
MANGGAHAN SA GUIMARAS FESTIVAL
An identity festival of the province
Celebrated every April 16-20 for the sustained promotion of
Manggahan culminates in a grand showcase of cultural
festivals in a bis to show the world that there is more to
Guimaras than its sweet, fiber and pest-free mangos.
An 18th-century lighthouse built during the Spanish-
it is considered as the second oldest lighthouse in the
Philippines, next only to the one found in Aparri, Cagayan
TATLONG PULO (“THREE ISLANDS”)
one of them, named after the three krast
formations fronting the coves, some privately
A seclusion and a place for any child of the sun to
find peace and harmony.
considered to be the oldest structure in this island.
Built in 1880 Navalas Church also known as San
Isidro Labrador Church in Barangay Navalas the
municipality of Buenavista has been the oldest seat of the
Catholicism in this island and the product of community
labor and unity.
made of coral rocks abundant in the area during the
construction of this edifice
Southern shores of Panay Island
Faces Iloilo Strait and Guimaras Island
It lies on a flat alluvial plain,
reclaimed mostly from the swampy
areas due to urbanization and
industrialization in the late 19th
century until the present.
the commercial and trade center of
Agiculture- main source of livelihood
Fishing-second best industry.
It’s the site of the Southeast Asian
Fisheries Development Center which
conducts researches on the spawning of
milkfish and prawns; and the University of
Philippines (Miag-ao) which is the center
of marine and aquatic studies in the
The Iloilo Commercial Port Complex-
the first island pier in the country.
Multi-purpose port terminal which
caters to both domestic and foreign
containerized and convention sites.
Cottage industries include
making, weaving, woodcraft and
A religious and cultural festival in Iloilo City
Held on the 4th weekend of January
Held to honor the Santo Nino and
To celebrate the arrival on Panay of Malay settlers
and the subsequent selling of the island to them by
CARABAO CARROZA FESTIVAL
Celebrated every 3rd of May and since 1973
consists of three (3) main attractions namely;
the a.) Carabao Carroza Parade
b.) Carabao Carroza Race and
c.) Search for Carabao Carroza Queen.
“Church of Women” because of the statues of
women saints that decorate its pillars
A Gothic renaissance church made of coral rock
Located 3 km from the city proper
It was completed in 19th century
It was visited by Dr. Jose Rizal on his way to exile
in Dapitan, Mindanao.
“Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria”
The seat of Archbishop
It’s dedicated to St. Elizabeth of
Famous for its Shrine of Our Lady of
Candle which according to pious
tradition has been miraculously
the only sacred icon in the
Philippines ever crowned personally
by a Pope.
THE MIAG-AO CHURCH
This impressive 212 year old architectural
treasure, constructed in 1786 and finished in 1797,
has every right to be considering that it is a UNESCO World
Heritage Site(Baroque Churches of the Philippines).
western side of Negros Island (4th
largest island in the Philippines with a
total land area of 972,607 hectares or
9,726.06 sq. km
It is bounded by the
Visayan Sea in the North
Panay Gulf on the west
province on the
Sulu Sea on
Negros is basically
its soil ideal for
Fishing- major industry based in Cadiz
Philippine’s major sugar producer
It has substantial production of
coffee, cacao, black pepper, fruits and
It has a large copper mine.
Gold, silver, molybdenum, iron, gypsum
, coal, and other minerals are mined.
Other agricultural products:
It gives the people of Negros, as well as local foreign
visitors, a chance to drink and be merry for 20 days.
Originally designed to show the hardships of the people
Has become a tool of escapism and a way to generate
revenues for big business.
Celebrated during October 1-20
One of the mountains found in the north-central
portion of the island of Negros.
It is the highest peak in Central Philippines, the most
dominant and attractive feature of which is the active
summit crater of a volcano.
Commemorate the spots where local
revolutionaries fought against Spanish authorities
during the Negros revolution of 1898 and the
American forces later.
OUR LADY OF PEACE AND GOOD VOYAGE
A century-old church located at the heart of the
It has the distinction of being one of the very few
churches of Romanesque architectural design in
The Ruins in Bacolod City Philippines
The mansion was built in the early 1900’s by the sugar
baron, Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson
(1865-1948a Portuguese from Macau.
The mansion was the largest residential structure ever
built at that time and had in it one of the finest
furniture, chinaware, and decorative items, as the father
of Maria Braga was a captain of a ship that sailed across
Europe and Asia and would cart with him these items.
4-tiered fountain fronting the mansion, all brought in from