•Uniqueness of Japan region
•Beneﬁt of led by media
•recent activities as a media
• It was founded in 2002 and advanced to
nonproﬁt Organization in 2012
• 9 SIGs, 2 Task forces, 1 Working Group
• 10 board members, about 20 SIGs
leaders and executives and 2200+ free
mail news readers
• FGJ, LOKETE, scholarship, etc...
• Tickets selling revenue model
editor of Game Critique
Magazine (1994 - 2000)
independent Game Journalist (-2000)
Who am I?
Chapter Coordinator (-2011)
Uniqueness of Japan
Centralization: You can meet in 1 hour
No devs could not lead a community
How about Japan
How about Japan
You should lead it
Japan chapter had rebooted.
Kiyoshi Shin Jason Della
Merits of led by media
•Outsider : looks fair
•self branding through media
•feedback to occupation
• We run chapter with revenues from
tickets of each seminars. A revenue from
membership fee is not large.
• Ticket system is more acceptable for
Japanese devs than membership fees or
• We feel more satisfy to handle seminars.
• We have to promote it on medias.
activity s cycle
• planning activities
• promote on oﬃcial web, mail news,
sending release to medias, twitter, FB...
• cover and articles on commercial medias
by professional journalist
• follow up on oﬃcial web and FB
• ﬁnancial check
• note: $700 as a corporate tax
Oﬃcial web mail news
News medias SNS
Some articles are written by me...
eﬀects of media coverage
•recognition of activities in game
•increase our motivation
•easy to get sponsors
Eﬀect of books
sense of unity as one chapter
SIGs TASK FORCEs
What s next?
•broadcast programs in streaming
•publish information in worldwide
•Japan chapter has been led by media
due to local situation.
•It is very important for chapters to
have a close relationship with media.
•You should involve medias into