Having trouble achieving curriculum integration in your academy? In this session participants will learn about forms of curriculum integration and techniques to overcome obstacles.
Laura Fidler, National Academy Foundation
Continuum of Curriculum Integration
BEGINNING INTERMEDIATE ADVANCED
Single Subject Parallel (Paired) Interrelated Conceptual
Which of these is my biggest
obstacle to achieving curriculum
• Teacher collaboration/buy-in?
• Common planning time?
– Curriculum content mapping with clear scopes & sequences?
• Cohort scheduling?
• Student engagement/cooperation?
• Start small
– Curriculum access
• Realistically assess how much time you
have to do this.
• Prioritize your goal(s)
• Which form of curriculum integration can
you realistically accomplish?
Lack of student engagement/cooperation
• Things to consider why this is happening:
Have you set clear guidelines for your assignment?
How do you evaluate your students‟ work?
• Individual vs. group – are you grading the „end product‟
or the „process of getting there‟?
• Harmful consequences?
In what way is your classroom culture playing a role in
• Equitability - “Hogs vs. Logs”
• Are „norms‟ established and is there accountability?
How do you group your students together?
• Do you allow for mixed ability when high scaffolding is
• Do you allow for ability-alike grouping when there are
opportunities for growth and curricular extensions?
What is one big “take-away” from
What are my next steps?
What can I realistically
implement given the
obstacles I face at my