Learning Goals for Today
To discuss the role of software in computing
To learn to differentiate among software
belonging to the system and application
To learn about software ownership
• SOFTWARES - are programs that make a
computer run. They are sets of instructions
which tell the computer what to do to come
up with the desired result.
- Programs that work automatically once you open or
boot your computer.
- Their task include loading and running programs,
checking and protecting computers, and controlling
- It is the control software that operates the hardware and
allows the application to run.
Operating System (OS)
• Performs its work invisibly to control the internal functions
of a computer, e.g. maintaining files on the disk drive,
managing the screen, controlling which tasks the
computer performs and in what order
• It interacts directly with the computer HW
• Other SW normally does not directly interact with the HW,
but through the OS
Windows XP – home and business
Windows 2000 – business network use
Mac Operating System – GUI, graphics
OS/2 Warp – commercial work
UNIX – general purpose, mainframe
Linux – alternative to Windows
Dos – command driven
SYSTEM MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS
• Virus checking and cleaning.
• Security using identification and passwords.
• File and hard disk management for efficiency and
• Customising the computer to the users
requirements, i.e. short cut menus from mouse click.
• Setting peripheral devices to the users
requirements, i.e. setting the monitor resolution.
Computer programs that perform a particular
function related to computer system
management and maintenance
Data compression SW
Disk optimization SW
Disk backup SW
• Operating Systems run in the
background without the users
being aware of it.
• It controls the
inputs, outputs, interrupts, and
storage of files as requested by
the applications software.
SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
(In Assembly language)
LINKER AND LOADER
• Are programs installed in the computer. It
enables the user to do different tasks.
• Used for a specific purpose or application.
– Word processing;
– Numerical analysis;
– Recording of data;
– Designing and graphics;
– Image processing;
– Desk top publishing;
– Web design.
• Used in creating letters, memos, reports and
• Software that are equipped with rows and
columns where data may be entered and
processed automatically or tabulated.