Delta thinking goes: “In what direction would I like to be? What would perfect look like? How far along am I? How on earth did I even get this far? Wow, look what’s alredy working! even though I maybe feel possibly miserable about it? How can I make a tiny little delta bit of progress along that gradient from where I am?” The important thing with the Delta method is not to look at the “perfect” place, but only to notice what moves you a small (delta) distance from where you are. Microplanning: P LATFORM What is your concern? What is the broader task or job? What is its purpuse? How does your concern affect this purpose? L OOK AT THE POSSIBLE FUTURE Supposed, you have worked out a solution: What is your best hope to see happen then as a result of this solution? What is the least that you need to see happen? U TILIZE PREVIOUS SUCCESS How did you manage it till now to “live” with the recent situation? When in the past was it (sometimes) a bit better? How did you contribute to this “positive differences”? S TEPPING THE SCALE What can you do now to go further? What needs to come as the very first step? Microevaluation: U TILIZE SUCCESS (SEARCH) What were the best things you did? What would others say was the best? U TILIZE SUCCESS (STABILIZE AND AFFIRM) How did you do that? What did you learn from it? S TEPPING THE SCALE What will you do more of as a result of this? What needs to come as the very first step? What will you do differently as a result of this? What needs to come as the very first step? = An other possibility to try it out is THE PROGRESS BLUEPRINT
Change Using your Strengths: That's a change!
Solution Focused V1.1
Change using your Strenghts: That’s a Change!
Solution Focused Approach
What you currently
imagine “perfect” to
How did you get
How can you use
that to get a
smidgy bit further?
• Source: Delta Method, by Alistair Cockburn
How does Solution Focused work?
• Assume that people are doing things the right way
• Storytelling: Have people tell about what is working.
Why is it working, under which circumstances?
• Stimulate by giving sincere compliments, help
him/her by recognizing results. Positive feedback!
• How does the perfect solution look? How can you
make a small step in the right direction?
The solution is no problem!
– Successes, what works? Why?
– Start right away, here and now
– Capabilities, Energy & Motivation
– Rhinelands Thinking
– The action is in the interaction
– Possibilities, win-win
Solution Focused: Retrospective
• How did you get this far?
• What do you imagine
perfect to be?
• Small step!
– What is going well?
– What did you do? How? Why?
– Which Strengths? Applied?
More information Solution Focused
• Blogs (in Dutch)
– Veranderen vanuit je sterktes: Da’s Anders!
– Resources of professionals?
– Motivatie in veranderprojecten
– The Solution Focus, the simple way to positive change
– Oplossingsgericht Leidinggeven (Dutch)
– Sharing and Building Solution Focused Practices
is an initiative by Ben Linders, André
Heijstek and Michel Verweij
Use the knowledge, experience and strength of people to improve continuously.