My presentation from SMX Advanced 2012 on personalized search with Bing and Google. Get all of the session coverage at Outspoken Media:
My presentation from SMX Advanced 2012 on personalized search with Bing and Google. Get all of the session coverage at Outspoken Media: http://outspokenmedia.com/internet-marketing-conferences/smx-advanced-2012-liveblogging-schedule/
1. Surviving Personalization with Bing & Google SMX Advanced 2012 @Rhea | @OutspokenMedia
2. If you leave with one takeaway it should be…
3. The future of search is personalization.
4. Everyone’s results are already personalized.Google Personalization MethodsOctober 2006http://www.seobythesea.com/2006/10/google-personalization-methods/Google Now Personalizes Everyone’s Search ResultsDecember 4, 2009http://searchengineland.com/google-now-personalizes-everyones-search-results-31195
5. Personalized Search Factors Location Search history Social search
6. How can Google see search history?1. Browser2. Toolbar3. Google web searchesReference:http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=9016
7. Check Your HistoryCurious? Check your search history: https://www.google.com/history
8. How does Google see your network?Reference:https://profiles.google.com/u/0/connectedaccounts
9. How does Google track your friends?• Your mutual connections with people on Google products such as Gmail.• Interaction you’ve had with others on Google products.• The links youve added to your profile.• The connected accounts youve linked on your Google Account.• The people who are in your extended circles.• Friends on external sites, when those friends have connected their accounts on their Google+ profiles.
10. How does Google identify your accts? Two primary signals that make an educated guess: 1. Similarities between your Google Account name and usernames, and other account names and profile names. 2. Similarities between your connections.Reference:http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1142745
11. Remember to +1 Outspoken Media!Google tracks what you +1
12. How does Google track your content?Reference:https://plus.google.com/authorship
13. How does Google track social activity?Formerly through PostRank, now social reporting:• conversions• sources• sharingReference:http://www.google.com/analytics/features/social.html
14. Measure Personalization Extent in GA % signed into Gmail % networked w/social(not provided) Twitter Facebook Google+ StumbleUpon
15. Personalized Search is the SE Arms Race At SMX London 2012, AmitSinghal stated that secure search was the key to personalized results. Google doesnt want to take over Facebook, they want to enhance search with the social graph. Reference: http://searchengineland.com/google-growing- your-social-network-quantity-vs-quality-109210
16. Why did Google create (not provided)? Keyword reports are obsolete when search results are personalized. And, if we could see which keywords were driving personalized search rankings, it would be much easier to game.
17. Bing has stated that: “…social (who are your friends and what are their interests), personal long term (who are you as a user), short term personalization (what are you trying to do now), location, and privacy, transparency and control.“Reference:http://blog.search-mojo.com/2012/02/28/live-from-smx-west-how-google-bing-personalize-with-search-history-geography/
18. Bing rank = authority +quality of keyword match + personal preference + social preference
19. Personalized search increases CTRAt SMX London 2012 AmitSinghal shared thatGoogle is seeing increased click through rates from personalized search results.
20. What’s in it for Bing?Bing has a competitive advantage tapping data from Twitter and Facebook and dominance of real-time search.
21. LOCATION SEARCH
22. Write Geo-Targeted Content
23. Use Schema.org Markup Language
24. Offline Networking to Build Relationships
25. Get Zagat and Other Ratings
26. Make Your Site Mobile-Friendly
27. Targeting for multiple languages:Reference:http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182192
28. Local SearchAsk the expertsin tomorrow’s local panel!
29. SEARCH HISTORY
30. Brand Your: Name, Products, Company
31. Write Great, Relevant Content
32. Coordinate SEO with PR & Social PR SEO
33. Set up a Wikipedia Page
34. Submit data through Freebase
35. Setup Authorship
36. Brand thought leaders
37. Publish Content Often
38. Create Community Acct Logins
39. Use Gmail for login
40. Use events to drive queries
41. SOCIAL SEARCH
42. Create and post to Google+ page
43. Setup Google+ Direct Connect
44. Increase your Google+ followers
45. Use LinkedIn to Identify Your Network
46. Giveaways, contests, sweepstakes, etc.
47. Use Facebook login for comments
48. Create long&short-term content
49. Engage community
50. NOW, GO DO IT!!!!
51. Thank you.t: @Rheae: email@example.comGet all of the SMX coverage:http://outspokenmedia.com/blog/