Born February 20, 1901 on
Saaremmaa Island in Kuressaare.
Kahn's Jewish parents immigrated
to the United States in 1906.
His given name at birth was Itze-
Leib Schmuilowsky but was
changed upon arrival in the US.
Kahn worked as an
critic,professor and scholar.
On March 17, 1974, he died of a
BUILDING = HUMAN
WILL TO BE
DESIRE TO BE
WILL TO EXPRESS
• Kahn's architecture is notable for its simple, forms and
• Kahn design of buildings, characterized by powerful, massive
• Through the use of brick and poured-in place concrete masonry,
he developed a contemporary and monumental architecture that
maintained sympathy for the site and did not loose its proportion.
• Louis Kahn's work infused International style with a highly
personal taste, poetry of light and exposing the materials without
• THE ROOM IS THE BEGINNING OF ARCHITECTURE
• THE PLAN IS A SOCIETY OF ROOMS
• A LONG STREET IS A SUCCESSION OF ROOMS.
• THE CITY IS A PLACE OF ASSEMBLED INSTITUTION.
• THE ROOM & PLAN, THE STREET & CITY = INSTITUTIONS BASED ON HUMAN
• ‘I do not like ducts; I do not like pipes. I hate them really thoroughly, but because I
hate them so thoroughly, I feel they have to be given their place. If I just hated them
and took no care, I think they would invade the building and completely destroy it.’-
LOUIS I KAHN
While Louis Kahn was designing
the National Assembly Building in
Bangladesh in 1962, he was
approached by an admiring Indian
architect, Balkrishna Doshi, to design
the 66 acre campus for the Indian
Institute of Management in
Year of completion : 1963
Chief Architect : Louis I. Khan
Site Area : 66 Acres
Building :Contemporary style
• BRICK HAS BEEN USED AS PRIMARY
BUILDING MATERIAL FOR THE
ENTIRE COMPLEX WALLS.
• BRICK ARCHES HAVE BEEN USED
FOR WIDER SPANS.
• CONCRETE HAS BEEN RESTRICTED
TO FLOOR SLABS, FOUNDATIONS
AND TIES FOR ARCHES.
The Academic complex
comprises of the following :-
• School Building
• Faculty blocks
• Louis Khan Plaza
• The library building is five storyed structure with rectangular plan.
• It is approached by a broad, imposing flight of steps from the parking lot.
• The design has been conceived to entail movement from the active spaces to
most private and quite carrels at the farthest reaches.
• FIRST FLOOR :Main reading hall
• SECOND FLOOR : Accommodate triple height reading hall and conference
• THIRD FLOOR : Accommodates bound volumes of journals.
• FOURTH FLOOR : Has bound volumes of old books and journals.
OFFICES ON GROUND FLOOR RAMP LEADING TO DORMS AND
• The shape of classroom is
• The Design of class room is
based on the seminar type
interaction between the students
and the faculty.
• Windows are high to get glare
• The shape of each dormitory
block is square with two
residential wings, triangular
lounge and a service area.
• THE POSITION OF THE
WASHROOM ARE MEANT TO
PROTECT THE LIVING
ROOM FROM SUN
OBSTRUCTING AND THE
BREEZE AND VENTELATION.
• The Dorns are placed one
behind the other To Obtain the
much needed breeze and
Dormitory Block Courtyard between Dormitory blocks
• Instead of small courtyard, one large
court has been planned in the center
to relate the movement around.
• MANAGEMENT DEVLOPMENT CENTER IS LOCATED TOWARDS
ESTERN EDGE OF THE CAMPUS. IT HAS BEEN PLANNED AS A
SELF CONTAINED UNIT WITH ACADEMIC AREA, OFFICES,
EXECUTIVES HOSTELS AND DINING FACILITIES.
• IT IS A DOUBLE STORYED BUILDING WITH A BASEMENT AND
HAS A U SHAPE PLAN ENCLOUSING A COURT IN BETWEEN
• THERE ARE TWO LECTURE HALLS, TWO CONFERENCE ROOMS
AND EIGHT SYNDICATE ROOMS IN THE MDC BUILDING.
• The large façade omissions are abstracted patterns found within the Indian
culture that were positioned to act as light wells and a natural cooling system
protecting the interior from India’s harsh desert climate.
• National Assembly Building of
• One of the largest legislative
complexes in the world.
• Houses all parliamentary activities
of Bangladesh .
• Construction of the Jatiya
Shangshad Bhaban began in 1961
by the Government of Pakistan as a
permanent building for the federal
administration of both West and
• 1.Beginning of construction:
• 2.Completed on:28 January
• 3.Cost of construction and
• 4.Material used: concrete
• 5.Total area: 200 acres
• The Main Building
• Consists of 9 individual blocks
• 8 peripheral blocks (height=110
• 4 offices
• 1 prayer hall
• 1 Minister’s lounge
• 1 Dinning & Recreation
• 1 Ablution court
• The main building (the Bhaban) is divided into three parts:
• Presidential Plaza: 65,000 square feet
• The Main Plaza: 823,000 square feet
• South Plaza: 223,000 square feet
• Average height 117 ft
• Consists of the Parliament
Chamber, two platform and
two galleries for VIP visitors
with a parabolic shell proof.
• The most interesting things is, there is not a single column in the entire
building. Hollow columns that are parts of space enclosures have been
adapted as structur
• Kahn's complex may be credited with more than one innovations :
• The scale of the building
• The use of as caste concrete
• The use of exposed brick masonry
• Frankie pile foundation
were not attempted in Bangladesh before al supports.
• The concrete surface bear the
imprint of the structure
• No paint and plaster was used
to maintain the purity of the
The use of exposed brick masonry Frankie Pile foundation was