Marketing....A Nasty Word?
• I think that marketing is
• I want my work to speak for
• I don’t want to brag about
what I do
• I don’t want to market
• Marketing can be done
• But we’re not a meritocracy
• But I don’t want to project a
wrong image either
• But I do, all the time
someone who NEEDS something
someone who PROVIDES something
You already market yourself
• With your CV
• In your interviews
• In your interactions with other people
• Every time you want to convince somebody to do something
• But, do you choose what do you project to other people?
• Choosing the message you send
• Choosing the image you project
• Reaching more effectively and to
• Making an impact
What makes up a brand?
• What is your unique point of view?
• What are your values?
• Why are you different?
• What are you offering?
• Specialize, specialize, specialize
“I help and inspire companies and teams to deliver their projects and
optimize their work using SharePoint/Office 365 technology in an
• Meeting the expectations,
• Helps to keep your message
• The most overlooked
component of personal
branding in developers
• Repeated exposure is what
makes your brand stick
• You get exposure by using
The Brand Lifecycle
How to build a brand?
Pick a niche
How to spread your brand?
EXECUTE YOUR PLAN
Consistence Monitor your metrics
Pick your channels
STRATEGY AND GOALS
Where do you want to be
in X years?
Which is your desired
What is your end objective
with your brand?
• Niche: “C++ Windows driver development”
• Message: “I help companies shorten their driver
development time by mentoring their teams and
reviewing their code”
• Tagline: “Your driver problem solver”
• Elevator pitch: “Your company doesWindows drivers? I save you
on average 75.000 € in development cost by
mentoring your team and reviewing your code.”
• Blog www.driversheriff.com
• Twitter @DriverSheriff
• YouTube DriverWild West Screencasts
• Mailing list Driver Sheriff Roundup
• Goals: Get 1000 subscribers in 6 months
Get 5 leads per month
• “How do you want to be known”
• It’s not about selling, it’s about
• 4 key brand ingredients: message,
visuals, consistency, exposure
• Make a plan, keep it going
Personal Branding for Developers