1. Jesus Hoyos South Florida PMI Dinner Event (December 8, 2011): The impact of collaboration toolsand managing projects
2. ABOUT JESUS HOYOS INDEPENDENT ANALYST Everything INFLUENCER CRM SPEAKER CONSULTANT GOOGLE ME: JESUS HOYOS, CRM hOp://about.me/jesushoyos
3. Agenda 1 2 3 Trends Tools Ideas The Impact of Collabora=on Tools in Managing Projects
4. Agenda 1 Trends The Impact of Collabora=on Tools in Managing Projects
5. Google Searches about Collabora=on CollaboraUon and Project Management: About 125 million results Social Business: About 3,100,000,000 results Social CRM: 58,000,000 results
6. The Cloud • Processes • Agile Social Business • InnovaUon • People • Culture • Yammer CollaboraUon Tools • SocialText • Mobile • Ideas • Crowdsourcing Social CRM • CommuniUes • Social Media
7. 124,000 ac=ve conversa=ons – last 30 days
8. Key Trends The Gartner 2011 CIO Survey reveals that The 2011 IBM Global CIO study results almost half of all CIOs expect to operate their uncover that both CEOs and CIOs focuses applicaUons and infrastructures via cloud over the next 5 years are in Insight and technologies within the next ﬁve years Intelligence, Client in=macy, people skills, Risk Management, Enterprise ArUcle Source: hOp://EzineArUcles.com/ model changes, Industry model changes 6642962 and Revenue model changes. ArUcle Source: hOp://EzineArUcles.com/A survey by IT staﬃng company, Robert Half 6642962 Technology of 1400 CIOs across the United States found that more than half are The CIO Tech Poll in July 2011 shows that predic=ng that real-‐=me collabora=on Top areas for investments include cloud technologies such as Jive and SharePoint will compu=ng services (62%), BI & analy=cs surpass email as the chief form of internal (57%), hardware infrastructure: tablets communica=ons in the next 5 years. (55%) and mobile/wireless (54%). ArUcle Source: hOp://EzineArUcles.com/ ArUcle Source: hOp://EzineArUcles.com/6642962 6642962
9. Key Areas • Community Placorms – Internal and External CommuniUes • Internal CollaboraUon to manage customers – B2B – B2C • Big Data • Knowledge Management • Workﬂow and BPM • Web and Mobile Apps • Consumers Apps in the Enterprise • Video / FaceUme
10. Are we collaboraUng in the enterprise? • Create a private Google site or Facebook group? • Open a Yammer account unUl we get access to Sharepoint? • BCC the VP of Customer Service • Don’t discuss the project failures in the next meeUng • Waterfall vs Agile/Scrum • Are we ready to be agile and innovate? • Are we geing ideas from consumers? • The CEO only has 15 minutes to listen to us? • Where is that updated project plan?
13. Project Management Opportunity Agile / Scrum CollaboraUon Social BPM and Ideas Business Knowledge Management
14. Project Management Dilemma • Can we be agile? Agile / Scrum • Can we innovate? CollaboraUon and Ideas • Can we be open? • Can we learn from failure? Waterfall Methdology • Always on “beta”
15. Agenda 1 2 Trends Tools The Impact of Collabora=on Tools in Managing Projects
17. Key Components 1. Content is Social, and status Updates 2. Enterprise IntegraUon to CRM, ERP, Financials, etc. 3. Mobile and Cloud 4. Internal and External CollaboraUon 5. Real Ume feeds 6. AnalyUcs 7. Document Management 8. Email IntegraUon 9. Tasks and Project Management 10. Ideas 11. ReputaUon Management 12. GameﬁcaUon 13. Events 14. Knowledge Management 15. Video / Chat / VoIP 16. Social Media IntegraUon 17. Many more ….
18. Beneﬁts • StaUc project management tool vs. real-‐Ume collaboraUon • Time to market • Crowdsourcing • Reduce cost in informaUon ﬁnding • Talent retenUon and producUvity • Manage risks faster • Agile • InnovaUon • ROI?
19. Agenda 1 2 3 Trends Tools Ideas The Impact of Collabora=on Tools in Managing Projects
20. Ideas to Collaborate • It is about change management • It is about learning from failures • Goldﬁsh eﬀect • It is about metrics
21. Six Steps to start CollaboraUng 1. EducaUon and Training 2. Assess Company Culture 3. Learn what failed (history of projects) 4. Set objecUves, goals and metrics 5. Make an acUon plan 6. Start a pilot project
22. Step 1: EducaUon and Training • Industry research in your industry or ﬁeld • Learn about Agile/Scrum • Create a wiki or a Google Docs to share content • Bookmark content with Diigo • Avoid using internal email to share informaUon • Use the free trials from the collaboraUon tools
23. Step 2: Assess Company Culture • PersonaliUes – advocate vs. detractors • Are we digital yet? • Capable to collaborate • Internal needs and requirements • Are we PMI CerUﬁed? • Can we innovate? • Share case studies in your industry • Can HR help with change management? • Can we avoid the Neclix eﬀect?
24. Step 3: Learn what failed (history of projects) • Past success stories • Past failures • Document what happened • Learn from lessons • Setup new metrics to learn • Be ready to fail again but be sure to improve fast • Be agile
25. Step 4: Set objecUves, goals and metrics • Based on the ﬁrst 3 steps setup goals, objecUves and metrics • Gather a list of requirements and process to start collaboraUng and innovaUng • Link requirements to real company problems and soluUons
26. Step 5: Set up an acUon plan • Project Charter – use a collaboraUon tool for this • Look for execuUve buy in • Look for staﬀ buy in • It is not just that they accept the project but they are part of it – there needs to be commitment
27. Step 5: Start a pilot program • In Phases • Use CollaboraUon tools • Measure results everyday • Be ready to fail • Always on “beta” • Be ready for change • Be agile
28. Summary 1 2 3 Trends Tools Ideas The Impact of Collabora=on Tools in Managing Projects