On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
NAIT corporate communications social media history
Ten social media tactics
Five lessons learned
Tracking and measurement
My three favourite social media tools
Social media advisory committee (reputational vs. academic)
NAIT social media guidelines
Facebook (profiles, groups, pages)
Audiences: government, business and industry, alumni, donors, friends, community organizations and students
Included in various sections + its own section
Social media news release & social media newsroom (p. 266, PR 2.0 Breakenridge interview with Solis)
Vision 2013-14: NAIT will be a local leader in social media as it will be integrated in all of our communications.
COMMUNICATIONS PLANNING cont.
Enhance the newsroom & news releases to be more social media friendly.
Build on blogger relations.
Continue to build an active presence within the social media community.
Expand current social tools and seek other opportunities with social/technology trends in mind.
Encourage a blogging format for content being created within our team and in other departments.
Establish benchmarks and measurement methods to inform future social media strategies that meet business objectives.
TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS 1. Create content even when you don’t get the call. www.nait.ca/44782.htm www.youtube.com/techlifemag
2. Provide and repost content. communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/eatmywords/archive/2009/12/16/de-boning-a-turkey.aspx twitter.com/NAIT/status/6802914579 TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
3. Address other unexpected social media opportunities. www.flickr.com/photos/nait TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
4. Post once and have it feed to multiple sources. TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont. www.nait.ca/newsroom www.nait.ca/socialmedia www.twitter.com/nait www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1413867&trk=myg_ugrp_ovr www.techlifemag.ca
5. Make social media part of the story. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGViXjN8Fk TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
6. Whenever possible reuse content and post elsewhere. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_arrow www.techlifemag.ca twitter.com/NAIT/status/6669267608 TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
7. Always be looking and ready for opportunities. www.edmontonjournal.com/news/NAIT+workshop+aims+prevent+school+shootings/2133163/story.html TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
8. Tailor content and make it convenient for bloggers. TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
9. Involve many colleagues and create a similar brand for your channels. www.twitter.com/NAIT/naitaccounts www.nait.ca/facebook TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont.
10. Co-brand your personal presence with your organization. TEN SOCIAL MEDIA TACTICS cont. www.twitter.com/kvern
FIVE LESSONS 1. Be a real person. www.twitter.com/nait
FIVE LESSONS cont. 2. Be willing to poke fun at yourself. www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=122600#post122600
FIVE LESSONS cont. 3. Don’t get put off by swearing.
FIVE LESSONS cont. 4. Face-to-face interaction is just as important as online. www.twitter.com/edmontontweetup
FIVE LESSONS cont.
5. Most comments are neutral.
3% positive, 2% negative, rest is neutral (Georgia Tech case study by KD Paine )
TRACKING AND MEASUREMENT
Media Relations Points (MRP)
Type (if known)
Followers (similar to reach)
Comment + Notes
OTHER REPORTED METRICS
YouTube (video + channel views)
Flickr (image + video views)
Twitter (followers + click throughs)
MY THREE FAVOURITE SOCIAL MEDIA TOOLS
SlideShare slidecasts ( PD: Paradox of our Profession: Valuable but not Valued , Dr. Terry Flynn, McMaster University, 52:53)