Think Social Media is
For Kids, Not Business?
Learn the 7 Secrets to How the Smartest
Main Street Businesses-Just Like Yours-
Are Using Social Media to Crush the
What is social media marketing?
so cial me di a mar ket ing (noun)
1. The use of online social media sites (Facebook, Twitter,
et. Al) to…
- Promote services, events, or products
- Pursue branding goals
- Increase market awareness
- Efficiently reach and engage consumers
- Drive more business/increase sales
2/3 of online adults use social media platforms such as
Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn (Pew)
Facebook alone has over 750 million users…
Buyer attention-where is it?
Americans spent 53.5 billion minutes on Facebook in 2011
(In May alone…)
1. Social media is a waste of time
2. Only young people are using social media
3. Social media ROI cannot be measured
4. Social media is pretty easy/unimportant-I’ll give it to
the intern to handle
5. Social Media is no place for business
1. Social media will replace real-life networking
2. Social media can replace your website
3. Social media is free marketing!
4. Social media marketing gets immediate results
5. Social media marketing is the ANSWER!
Reality: It’s working, but it’s not the ONLY
• 63% of companies using social media say it has increased their
marketing effectiveness (HubSpot)
• 88% of marketers have indicated that social media efforts have generated
more exposure for their business (Harp Social)
• 73% of marketers plan on increasing their use of Facebook (Harp Social)
• 90% of social businesses say SMM is important to their business (Social
Customers WANT YOU on social media
• 93% of customers expect companies to have a presence on social
• 85% expect companies to interact with them on those social
1,2 Cone Business Study on Social Media, 2008
And customers are rewarding
businesses that do social media…
How your business can benefit
• Increase engagement with customers and prospects
• Affordably boost brand awareness
• Boost website traffic
• Grow your email list
• Build your influence
How your business can benefit
• Promote events and special offers
• Find new customers
• Quickly address negative PR
• Increase customer loyalty
• Overcoming cultural resistance to social media
• Lack of resources to maintain consistent effort
• Perceived as too difficult/overwhelming
• Measuring ROI is not always easy (and requires some savvy)
• Devising a method to the madness
The 7 Secrets to How the Smartest Main
Street Businesses are Using Social
Media to Crush the Competition!
3. Use fan gating
• Fan gating = displaying certain content only to users who ‘Like’ your
• Create an offer/incentive for fans only
• Non-fans are encouraged to ‘Like’ in order to ‘unlock’ the content
behind the tab
How much time will I need to spend
each week on social media?
75% of businesses spending as little as 6
hours per week on social media
marketing saw increased traffic.
(Social Media Examiner)
Which social platform(s) should my
• Trick: Use the search function on a network to gauge activity
related to your industry/market vertical/audience
• Consider multiple channels!
How can I avoid the common mistakes
that businesses make?
1. Have a plan/be prepared
2. Don’t obsess
3. Engage + promote
4. Talk with (not at)
5. No interns/nepotism
What to consider when evaluating the
efficacy of social media?
• Bigger than sales!
• Generating word of mouth marketing
• Strengthening brand loyalty with your customers
• Adding value
People are talking. Are you part of the
• Social media is not a passing fad!
• 53% of people on Twitter recommend companies and/or products in their
tweets (ROI Research for Performance)
• The average consumer mentions specific brands over 90 times per week
in conversations with friends, family, and co-workers (WOMMA)