OMiG at Inaugural GMIT Marketing Society talk, Tuesday 25th November 2014. Be sure to like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/GalwayMarketing and follow us on Twitter @GalwayMarketing and our website www.GalwayMarketing.ie
Follow @marickab @galwaymarketing @IMSMarketings
GMIT Students Union Talk
Tuesday 25th November
Demystify the World of Digital Marketing -
What is it and How do I Use it.
1. Digital Marketing – what is it?
2. Google Organic Vs Google PPC.
3. Facebook. Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn etc –
What is the difference and what do I use?
4. Do I need a website as part of the Digital
5. Monitor, Measure and Convert.
What is it and how should I
What is Digital Marketing
In simplistic terms, digital marketing is the
promotion of products or brands via one or more
forms of electronic media.
What’s the difference and
what should I use?
Google Organic Vs Google PPC
Google Pay Per
Click Ads (PPC) –
Listings’ – Listings
you do not pay
Google Organic Vs Google PPC
• Loves fresh, relevent and quality
• Your company can show up via
company website, social media,
news etc – make sure YOU own
• Extremely competitive.
• Involves more work than you think
i.e. S.E.O – Search Engine
• Increases visibility on search
• Allows you to be seen when you
may not be ranking high
• Extremely targeted advertising.
• Reaching potential customers at
the latter end of the buying cycle.
• Do not fall behind your
• Can be useful when you have
little or no online visibility.
Do you have your business listed
with Google Business?
Go to www.Google.ie/business
and do it now if not!
So much to choose from where do
Socialreach is the
Which Social Media Platform do I
• No need to be a jack of all trades and master of none.
• Experiment and study what works best for your
• Look at companies/competitors in your industry doing it
well and learn from what works well.
• Look at engagement levels, comments and see what
posts/pictures etc are working well.
• Think about where your target market are e.g. B2C
Retail i.e. Facebook, Instagram, B2B i.e. Twitter,
• Over 60% of the Irish
population are on it. (Source:
• The platform can suit many
B2C companies, huge success
stories in Galway include; Pat
Divilly Fitness, The Dough
Bros, and Goodness Cakes.
• Extremely targeted options
available if you use Facebook
• Great for visual type busineses
– where you can show of your
product or service.
• News feed algorithm – less
and less are seeing your
newsfeed updates unless they
• Not suited to every company.
• Needs to be maintained to be
• Lots local and topical
communities to engage with
• Measure campaign successes
with # or engagement.
• Great for customer service.
• 140 characters to
communicate with isn’t always
• Needs consistent
• Large female audience,
beneficial if this is part of
your target market.
• Image based network,
again great if you have
products or services that
• Great for displaying mood
boards, ideas etc to get
• Relatively limited
audience i.e. females.
• Irish adoption is slower
than the US market (keep
this in mind when reading
all the positive stats).
• 2nd largest search engine
in the world.
• Videos on a website
result in users spending a
longer time on the site
and more engagement.
• Visually get your
message across quickly.
• Higher production
• More equipment and
skills needed to make a
• Large professional community.
• Targeting advertising to the
large professional community.
• Millions of closed or open
groups with very specific
interests to engage and network
• Create your own ‘personal
• Use a a platform for publishing
with ‘LinkedIn Pulse’.
• Closed community –
communication is unique to
thise on LinkedIn.
• Need to be a 1st connection or
have a premium subscription
to communicate direct.
• Can be more suited to B2B
It doesn’t replace
Monitor and Measure
• Social Media marketing can be made extremely
• Monitoring and measuring the success of your
campaigns, will allow you to make decisions about the
tools and platforms that work well for your digital
• Find out and monitor Cost per Acquisition.
• Think; Google Analytics, Conversion Tracking, and
Social Media Measurement tools such as; Hootsuite;
Tweetreach, Klout, Social Mention and more.
1. Digital Marketing is part of the overall marketing
2. Both Google Organic and Google PPC serve a
purpose, understand the difference and choose what
suits your business. In many cases BOTH will.
3. Study your competitors and companies in similar
industries for inspiration on your social media. Test and
research what Social Media works best for your
4. Do not put all your eggs in one basket, create a central
online base with your website.
5. Monitor, Measure, Measure and Measure!!