The word memorandum (plural:
memoranda) is a Latin word, which means
‘something to remember.’ it is often
shortened to ‘memo’ (plural: memos). The
memo can be working in the same
organization as the writer.
Format of Memo Reports
(Details/Content of the report)
1. Memos are not distributes outside the
organization, so they may not need the
3. As they may convey important
information, clarity, careful arrangement,
and neatness are important.
3. A memo does not require a
complimentary close or a signature.
4. However, it is all right to initial the memo
- beside the name types at the top or at
the bottom of the memo – or even sign
your name at the bottom.
5. The style and tone of your memo should
be the same – whether you are writing to
your colleague or your superior.
6. An over-friendly memo in an informal
style to the manager may be a sign of
7. Paragraphs, however short, must always
be numbered to make it easy to read.
1. Put the message in context
• Give any background information which the receiver
needs to know before he can fully understand the
message. For example, reference to a conversation, a
meeting or a previous memo.
• Phrase the opening sentence very clearly and simple so
that the main idea is understood.
With reference to…
I expect that you already know that…
Regarding your memo of 10 October,…
At the last sales meeting, it was decided that…
2. Provide the details of the
• Depends on the purpose of the memo. Are you giving
some information, making a request, giving instruction or
justifying certain action you have taken?
• Write in a polite, undemanding, personal tone. Justify the
request, or explain the importance. State desired action
in a positive and supportive, not negative or dictatorial
I wish to inform you that…
Could you please…
I would be grateful if you could…
3. End your memo in a courteous
• Courteously request a specific action and
Could I please have your comments on
this new company handbook? Any
suggestions you wish to make regarding
the amendments would be appreciated.
• Clearly state any deadline or time frame,
and briefly justify if it is genuinely
The printer will be coming to finalise the
proof on Monday, 7 August, so your
prompt reply would be appreciated.
• You are the manager of Juicy Fresh Food M’sia
(JFF, Cheras Branch). Write a memo to all junior
employees informing them that a special course
is being arranged at Head Office in Subang Jaya
to train new staff who have not previously spent
time at the store’s check-out counters. It will be
held from 21-23 July. All expenses will be
absorbed by the company. Those who wish to
attend the course should submit their names to
Syarifah Norish Syed Mohammad of Staff
Training Department by the end of this week.