MGF1100: Managerial Communication
Leading & Guiding
Your Tutor (me)
– 9903 4065
– Building N Level 5 Room 14
• Group Assignment
> Group Presentation and Individual Essay
• Due Week 10 during tutorial
• Worth 25%
> Group Presentation (10%) Individual Essay (15%)
10 minute presentation
1500 words for the essay (8 references)
Peer evaluation forms
Due next week
• What feedback can you give to the unit?
• Is there anything you like / Don’t like?
• How can Viv and myself improve?
• Student Evaluation of Teaching and Unit
• Telling Monash what is good and bad
• 1-7 scale (but check – 6 used to be I haven’t been to class
and 7 was not assessable)
• More importantly you can say how much you love me
• Or not love me if that is the case….
• Helps me improve
• Helps me get jobs =)
Think of a time when you felt you needed to give someone
feedback. Maybe a team member not participating or contributing
to important team presentations or something similar.
What kind of feedback did you provide?
What exactly did you say?
How did the person react?
Were you successful in getting your points across?
Did you achieve what you had hoped?
Is there a way you could have improved the quality of the
• Get into group and what would you do:
– Counselling or
• What steps will you use?
• Explain the reason for the discussion
• Ask open-ended questions to elicit the employee’s thoughts
and feelings and paraphrase
• Encourage the employee to identify alternatives to solve the
• Encourage the employee to consider the consequences of
• Provide support and/or resources when appropriate
• Refer to the employee to HR if necessary
• Summarise key points
Coaching, Counselling & Disciplining
Mini Case Study Print Out
Groups of 3
Select one case study
One for each role and one observer
Debrief by giving the feedback
What approach was used by the interviewers?
How might you do things differently next time?
Get in your groups.
One question per group.
Teach us the exam.
Take some time
To chat about your group assignment
When are you going to meet?
Do you have any new ideas?