It means any articles intended to be rubbed, poured,
sprinkled, or sprayed on or introduced in to or applied to any part
of the human body, for cleaning, beautifying, promoting-
attractiveness or altering the appearance & Includes any articles
intended for use as a component of cosmetics.
e.g. Cosmetics Products includes;
Creams, Emulsions, lotions, Gels, Oils, for skin, hand,
CLASSIFICATION OF COSMETICS
Cosmetics are categories as follow.
1) Cosmetics according to their use.
SKIN- e.g. Creams, Powders, lotions etc
NAIL- e.g. Nail polish,
TEETH- e.g. Dentifrices.
EYE- e.g. Eye creams, Eye lotion etc…
HAIR- e.g. Shampoo, Hair remover, etc….
2) Cosmetics according to their function.
CURATIVE - e.g. Antiperspirant.
PROTECTIVE- e.g. Face powder.
CORRECTIVE - e.g. . Face powder.
DECORATIVE - e.g. Liptics,Nail polish.
3) Cosmetics according to their physical nature:
AEROSOLS- e.g. Hair perfumes
CAKES - e.g. Makeup compact
EMULSION - e.g. Cold & Vanishing creams.
PASTE- e.g. Tooth paste.
POWDER - e.g. Face & Tooth powder.
SOLUTION- e.g. Aftershave & hand Lotion.
OILS - e.g. hair oils.
STICKS- e.g. lipsticks
1) FACE POWDER:-
Face powder is a cosmetic preparation meant for
improvement of overall attractiveness of the face.
It is applied on the face by means of a powder puff &
provides visual covering to the skin.
Talcum powder 75.0g
Chalk precipitated 5.0g
Zink oxide 10.0g
Zinc stearate 5.0g
Perfumes & Color Q.S.
General Method of Preparation of face powder:-
1) All the sold ingredients are powdered & pass through sieve
2) Mix them thoroughly, incorporate the required quantity of
perfumes & packed in powder box.
QUALITY CONTROL TEST FOR POWDER:
1) Dispersion of Color.
2) Pay off.
3) Pressure Testing.
4) Breaking Test.
5) Flow property.
6) Particle size and abrasiveness.
7) Moisture content.
8) Physical parameter of powder.
2) COLD CREAM:-
Cold cream is an emulsion, which when applied on the skin,
a cooling effect is produced due to slow evaporation of water
present in the emulsion.
Bees wax 5.0g
liquid paraffin 45.0g
White soft paraffin 10.0g
Hard paraffin 7.0g
Perfumes & Preservative Q.S.
General Method of Preparation of Cold Cream:
1) Melt the wax, white soft paraffin, hard paraffin on a
2) Add liquid paraffin & heat the mixture to 700 C.
3) Dissolve the borax in water at 750 & melt fats with
4) Cool with stirring to 400 C.
5) Add the required quantity of preservative & perfumes .
6) Transfer the cream to the container while hot.
The aspects of the cosmetics preparation and quality testing is
ensure the product safety, reliability, ingredient information which
all compiles the integrity of the finished product as well as the
marketed value of the company and the product.