Dept. Of Pedodontics
Govt. College of Dentistry, indore
Made by :-
B.D.S. Final year (2015-16)
WHAT IS OBTURATION ?
• The purpose of obturation phase of endodontic
treatment is to prevent the re-infection of root
canals that has been biomechanically cleaned,
shaped and disinfected by instrumentation,
irrigation and medication procedure.
• It is essential that endodontic therapy must
include sealing of the root canal system to
prevent tissue fluids from percolating in the root
canal and prevent toxic by – products from both
necrotic tissue and microorganism regressing
into the peri-radicular tissues.
FILLING OF THE PRIMARY ROOT
• Developmental , anatomic and physiologic differences
between the primary and permanent teeth call for
differences in the criteria for root canal filling material.
• It should resorb at a similar rate as the primary root.
• It should be harmless to the periapical tissues and to
the permanent tooth germ, if pressed beyond the apex it
should resorb readily.
• It should have a stable disinfecting power.
• It should not be soluble in water.
• It should be inserted easily into the root canal and be
removed easily if necessary.
• It should adhere to the walls of the canal and should not
• It should be radio opaque.
• It should not cause discoloration of the tooth.
• It should not coagulate any organic remnants in the canal.
SOME OBTURATING MATERIALS
FOR PRIMARY TEETH
• Camphorated parachlorophenol (CPC) mixed with
• CPC mixed with zinc oxide.
• Formocresol mixed with zinc oxide eugenol (ZOE).
• Chlorhexidine mixed with ZOE.
• KRI paste.
• ZOE paste.
MOST COMMONLY USED
• Zinc oxide eugenol paste
• Calcium hydroxide
• Iodoform paste
ZINC OXIDE EUGENOL PASTE
• It is the most commonly used root canal filling material for
- it has bactericidal effect.
- It decreases tooth pain.
- It’s rate of resorption is slower than that of the
primary tooth root.
- Overfilling causes a mild foreign body reaction.
• Success rate is about 65%.
• It is used as a component in :-
• Advantages :-
- It resorbs rapidly.
-It has no undesirable effect on successor teeth.
• If material is extruded into periapical tissue, it is rapidly
replaced by normal tissue.
• It has superior antimicrobial action.
• It does not set into hard mass and can be removed if re
treatment is required.
• Success rate is about 84% .
• It is generally not used in pulp treatment for primary
• It is used in the form of calcium hydroxide and
iodoform mixture due to the following reasons:-
• It is found to be easy to apply.
• It resorbs at a slightly faster rate than that of the root.
• It has no toxic effects on permanent successor tooth.
• It is radio opaque.
• This mixture is a nearly ideal material for obturation of
- Zinc oxide 14 g
- Iodoform 42 g
- Thymol 2g
- Camphor 3cc
- Lanolin 0.5 g
• It is a root canal sealer material.
• It prevents micro leakage.
• Success rate is 70%.
- Zinc oxide 56.5%
- Barium sulphate 1.63%
- Iodoform 40.6%
- Calcium hydroxide 1.07 %
• It is a soft, white, pliable, biocompatible
sponge obtained from bovine collagen.
• It can be applied to moist or bleeding
• It is an absorbable collagen barrier which
prevents or diminish extravasations of root
canal filling material during primary molar
• Apart from endodontic therapy, it provides
scaffold for bone growth.
• It can also be applied on wounds.
- Iodoform 0.30 g
- Calcium hydroxide 0.25 g
- Camphorated paramonochlorophenol 0.1 ml
- Calcium hydroxide
- Camphorated parachlorophenol ( CPC )
• Is well tolerated by the adjacent periapical tissue
without any inflammation & with deposition of
• It is not indicated for primary teeth because it is not a
PROPERTIES ZOE VITAPEX KRI PASTE
that of tooth
than that of tooth
that of tooth
Toxicity None None None
Occurs Occurs Occurs
Present Present Present
Good Good Good
Removal Easy Easy
Radio opaque Radio opaque
Oct. 3, 2021
May. 19, 2021
Feb. 22, 2021
Jan. 21, 2021
Nov. 2, 2020
Oct. 28, 2020
Oct. 6, 2020
Sep. 30, 2020
Sep. 13, 2020
Sep. 9, 2020
Aug. 28, 2020
Aug. 12, 2020
Jul. 26, 2020
Jun. 26, 2020
May. 14, 2020
Apr. 16, 2020
Apr. 11, 2020
Apr. 7, 2020
Mar. 9, 2020
Mar. 3, 2020
This presentation features all the dental materials which can be used for obturation of root canal in primary tooth.