By: Keith R. Castillo
Eljorie Q. Daran
The Philippines became a British
colony for only two years
Why did the British came?
• Part of the seven years war between Britain and France.
• France was supported by Spain
• The British used this war as an excuse to invade the
Philippines and to colonize it.
Arrival of the British invaders:
• Admiral Samuel Cornish
• General William Draper
• The British expedition had 13 ships and 6,830 men.
• September 22 1762 the British entered manila bay.
September 23 they presented a
demand for the surrender of the city
to Spanish governor.
Archbishop Manuel Antonio Rojo
Surrender of Manila to the British:
• Two attempts by the Spanish defenders to
save the city failed.
• Cesar Fallet and Manalastas
the two people who led a fight for the
October 5 the fierce fighting began in the
street of intramuros.
To put a stop, Archbishop Rojo raised a
white flag as a sign of surrender .
OCTOBER 5 1762 Manila fell to the British
OCTOBER 6 Spanish authorities signed a terms of
After the surrender, for more than
The wild soldiers went into private
homes and public buildings and they
stole precious art ,valuables and
anything else they wanted, this
treasures was worth 1,ooo,ooo
They burned 400 household in
Binondo and Tondo.
They opened the graves of
important officials like
Legaspi and Salcedo in
The Three Governors General:
Dawsonne Drake and Alexander Dalrymple
, British governor
2. Archbishop Antonio Manuel Rojo, acting
Spanish governor general
3. Simon de Anda, rebel governor.
The Filipino remained loyal to
The British only conquered
Manila, Cavite, and some nearby
provinces like Cainta, Taytay, and Pasig.
Filipinos did not welcome the
British for two reasons:
1. They were shocked by the horrible
looting in manila after it was
surrendered to British.
2. Spanish priests warned them that the
British were protestants who do not
believe to the Catholic Religion.
End of the British invasion:
• The European big powers signed the
Treaty on Paris on February 10 1763
to end the war.
The Treaty of Paris, AKA the Peace of Paris and
the Treaty of 1763, was signed on 10 February
1763 by the kingdoms of Great Britain,
France and Spain, with Portugal in agreement,
after Britain's victory over France and Spain
during the Seven Years' War. The signing of the
treaty formally ended the Seven Years' War.
May 31, 1764 at the patio of
Santa Cruz church, Anda and his
troops entered manila and the
people had a salute of guns and
sound of music.
Historical Values of the British
• They opened the Philippines into the outside world .
• They allowed direct trade from china, India and
• Indian rupee, circulated in manila.
• For the first time, Europeans looked at
maps and found out that manila is the
capital of Philippines.
• The British showed us that the Spaniards
could be beaten.
• They introduced the English language
and free local elections.
• The British brought their lively music and
dances such as the brass bands, play
marching tunes during fiestas and we dance
the Polka Ingles and square dance.
• They taught us to shake hands with men in