LITA Instructional Technologies IG
Presentation – Discussion- Business Meeting
ALA 2014 Midwinter Sunday 10:30-11:30
Beth Filar Williams (email@example.com)
& Lilly Ramin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ALA Connect Main page for Instructional Technologies IG: http://connect.ala.org/node/167966
• Used for teaching classes, online office hours,
• Pro: unlimited #s; can record; allows for
audio/chat/video/screenshare/file share, ppt
• Con: see tech issues
• NOT free/but we have campus license
• Tech issues: Java download; saves as .jnlp file
• Used for small groups (<10)
• Pros: user friendly; all can be “moderator”
• Cons: small group only, tech issues; too many
moderators; can’t record session
• Tech issues: people randomly get kicked out of
room; audio issues
Google Hangout s ON AIR
• Used for webinar or broadcasting a panel of
people to large group
• Pros: allows to broadcast to many people on
youTube channel; records automatically in YT
• Cons: tech issues!
• Tech issues: many!!! Still beta…
• Used for hosting students created videos or
faculty for online/flipped instruction
• Pro: Easy to use
• Con: Not seen as edu tool/need private
acount and Google friendly campus
• Tech issues: auto closed captioning is poor
Used for students or faculty to create videos
Pro: Free and easy to use esp for beginners
Con: low end movie software; PC based
Tech issues: not many
• Used for polling/assessment; embed in libguide; use in
• Pros: FREE, embed app into ppt to easily add polls
• Cons: limit # of responses; user learning curve &
requires internet/phone to respond
• FREE (for up to 40 responses)
• Tech issues: doesn’t work well in ppt in Google
Hangout or in BB collaborate
• Used: Presentations, teaching, & “prezumes”
• Pro: Alternative to the linear format of PPT
Easy to embed videos from YouTube, etc.
• Con: Downloaded file not as dynamic. In
design do not have too many transitions –
makes you weezy
• FREE version available - public Prezis only.
• Tech issues: May not work as well with all
browsers. Tutorials on the website.
• Used for quick images and videos
• Pro: Great editing tools, user-friendly for macs
• Con: Less video editing features with free tool
• Free if Jing | Snag it costs $
• Tech: Must be installed on your computer
Overview and tutorials on the website.
• Used for basic screenshots as png, gif, jpeg.
• Pro: Very simple. A good go to if someone just
needs to take screenshots - drag and save
• Cons: The editing tools are lackluster. Edit in
paint or use another tool like Jing or Snag it.
No arrow but includes “shaky pen = no!”
• Not free – Microsoft Windows 7 product
• Tech issue/tip: Can undo, must redo the snip
• Used for subject or research guides and class
pages for instruction
• Pro: Each box type has features – videos, images,
documents can be added directly to the guide.
You can edit off campus. Friendly URL.
• Con: Some editing may be better in updates but
are not intuitive (see LibGuides community)
• Not free: Price based on institution
Thanks for attending! What platforms or tools
do you use that didn’t make the list?
• Not sure where to start, try Jane Hart’s list
• We will continue the conversation on our ITIG
ALA Connect page thread “Tech Tools and
Platforms for instruction Pros and Cons”
• …and more at ALA Annual!