CrunchBuddy: Server-based Video Transcode for AMS with Adobe AIR!
November 21st 2012Adobe Media Server User Group Joseph Labrecque
Senior Interactive Software Engineer | Adjunct FacultyUniversity of DenverProprietor | OwnerFractured Vision Media, LLCAdobe Community ProfessionalAdobe Education LeaderAdobe InfluencerAuthorPackt Publishing | O’Reilly Media | video2brain | Adobe Press | PeachpitArtistAn Early Morning Letter, Displaced | shivervein
What’s wrong?• No centralized upload, processing, distribution• Everyone is doing their own thingWhat do we need?• Unified, centralized system• Tooling for students and faculty• Distribution across desktops and devices
Services for faculty and staff• Request video recording services for official DU events, such as guest speakers, lecturers, performances, marketing, and live events.• Upload and publish staff and faculty videos.• Upload private course related videos for student assessment.• Browse and search on hundreds of DU videos.Services for students• Upload your course video assignment (if your instructor has activated this feature).
• Located on VideoManager• Must be numeric – ID assigned by app• Files copied to CRUNCHER• UNC Path
• Use NativeProcess MediaInfo• Read in encoding data• Compare with HQ profile data• Add file to transcode queue• Send data to VideoManager• AJAX Requests
• Use NativeProcess HandBrakeCLI• Pass in arguments for AMS playback• File is encoded to AMS storage• Optionally: HQ original is moved to storage• UNC Path
• AMS is polled to gather final data• NetConnection• Data is bundled and sent to VideoManager• AJAX Requests• VideoManager lets user know status• User finalizes metadata - done
• Uploader checks for min/max filesize• Uploader checks for valid file types• CrunchBuddy produces a log each session• HandBrake may reject the file• User is notified of any problems• Original file and log is retained
• Google Chromium = 99%• University of Denver = 96%• Steam = 97%• StatOWL = 96%• RIAStats = 96%
• Over 1.3 Billion people have Flash Player 11• An audience 20x larger than Xbox 360• 500 million additional iOS/Android via AIR• 600 million perform silent install• Google Chrome and Windows 8 ModernUI• 96% top Facebook games are Flash Player
• Stage3D / Starling / Away3D• Flash Professional “HellCat”• Flash Builder 4.7• ActionScript Compiler 2.0• Project “Monocle”• New Runtimes• New Virtual Machine• New version of ActionScript
Get in touch…Twitter: @JosephLabrecqueEmail: Joseph.Labrecque@du.eduWeb: http://JosephLabrecque.com/