1. Conceptualizing the “Shape” of the Lesson: The Logistics of Learning Dominik Luke š , Peace Corps Albania email@example.com, http://www.bohemica.com
2. Lesson Narrative <ul><li>1 T introduces theme of the lesson. 2 T plays a board game with Ss. 3 T asks Ss to discuss countries they would like to visit. 4 T elicits and explains vocabulary. 5 T asks Ss to read text and answer several questions. 6 Ss read and then answer supplementary questions about text. 7 Ss say if they have had similar experiences to those in the text. 8 Ss give titles to each paragraph. 9 Ss replace selected words in the text with synonyms. 10 Ss write a similar text about a topic of their interest. 11 T summarizes lesson. 12 T assigns homework. </li></ul>
3. Lesson Shapes <ul><li>Linear </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Beginning, Middle, End </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Pre-, While-, Post- </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Test, Teach, Test </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Pyramid </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Presentation, Practice, Production </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Cyclic </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Motivation, Information, Practice, Application </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Eclectic </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Engage, Study, Activate </li></ul></ul>
4. A : Beginning, Middle, End Beginning Middle End T and Ss review and summarize lesson and what was or was not learned. Homework is assigned. Take a roll. Review homework. Set atmosphere. Work with textbook. Do exercises. Ss debate a given issue. A review game is played. Ss work on a test.
5. A (Cont.): Menus and threads Starters Entrées Desserts Play a game Review homework Thread Read text Learn Vocabulary Tread Play game Translate text Thread Threads House: What is yours like House: what is in it, where is it House: what does it look like Week 2 Apple: why is it good for you Apple: how much is it, where is it Apple: what is it, what color is it… Week 1 Fri Wed Mon Week
6. B : Pre-, While-, Post- Pre - While- Post- Ask Ss to discuss how the text is relevant to them. Set the scene, Ask questions about a topic, Ask Ss to predict text content based on title Ask focus questions, Give scanning and skimming tasks, Ask further comprehension questions
7. C : Test, Teach, Test T reviews vocab T explains vocab with more examples T elicits new vocabulary from Ss Activity T asks questions again T goes over common errors in dialogues Ss answer a series of questions Lesson Ss take final test Ss work on remedial material in assigned groups Ss take a placement test Course Test Teach Test
8. D : Presentation, Practice, Production Presentation Practice Production TTT Teacher Control STT Student interaction Student Independence Warm up T presents examples of language in use and explains new material fill in the blank, order, match, choose, answer questions information gap, create newsletter, write own version of story, compose and send an actual letter, interview guests, etc.
9. E : 4MAT Concrete Experience Reflective Observation Active Experimentation Abstract Conceptualization Imaginative Analytic Common Sense Dynamic Likes to know reason for learning; likes to make personal connections Likes to theorize; likes to be told the rules; likes to listen to lectures or read articles Likes to know how things work; likes to try things out before using them for real; likes lab work Likes to do things in a real environment; likes to take risks; likes doing before talking
10. E : Motivation, Information, Practice, Application make theories make charts categorize listen to lectures and presentations Information 2 play with theories in a controlled environment fill in blanks match/order strips of text find words/grammar in text translate/answer questions 3 Practice Motivation 1 share experiences participate in a lesson observe a lesson go over student errors read/listen 4 Application plan lessons teach lessons find structures in coursebooks find context for structures
11. F : Engage, Study, Activate E Play a game, ask Ss questions about their interest, show a video, read a text S Explain grammar, communicative structure, conduct exercises, work with texts A information gap, create newsletter, write own version of story, compose and send an actual letter, interview guests, EAS ESESA ESASAA ESSA ESA ESAS
12. Inductive and deductive sequence Use Rules Rules Use 4MAT PPP BME, ESA TTT PWP