Rebecca Gordon, CFRE
Director of Development
• Missouri KidsFirst, just some
• The Children’s Center, Review of
• SWOT Analysis
• 3 Major Goals
• Raising Money to Meet Our
• Where do we go from here?
Why are you here?
What do you want to get out of this day?
What are you passionate about?
Missouri KidsFirst is dedicated to
providing the resources, training and
public awareness necessary to end
child abuse in Missouri.
The Triple Whammy!
Keys To Success
Source Advantages Disadvantages
Costly to develop, small return per individual
Largest source of giving unit
· Ongoing source one can build · Hard to generate unless broad-based direct
Individuals · Once a giver, also an advocate
· Risky for the inexperienced
· Volunteers are a good source of money · Need significant assistance from the
organization's board and volunteers
Source of large sums of money
· Accessible, professional staff · Hard to access, no professional staff
Foundations · Clear guidelines, process
· Most likely to research your request
· Often not large sums of money
· Without personal influence, may not be
· Board volunteers can help, not always possible
Large sums of money possible · Application procedures may be long,
Government · Process is set, clear
· Political clout helps · May only pay by unit of service, fluctuates
· Unspent monies may be returned
· May be source of ongoing money
· Difficult record keeping
Steady source of relatively large sums of Generally can't be a start-up organization
Federated Funds money
· Clear process
· Must be social service and fit priority
United Way · Professional staff, can be agency staff
driven · Very lengthy entry process
Very informal approach
· Money may be ongoing · Small amounts of money
Corporations · Personal connections will suffice
· Narrow range of interest
· Personal contacts are key
· Neighborhood focus will help
In-kind services most likely
· Need to fit their service focus,
Churches/Organizations · Often looking for group projects
neighborhood or religious outlook
Events Build Organizational Awareness
Time consuming, don’t raise enough
money to cover staff time.