Criminology creation dates back to the eighteenth
century where two social theorists, Cesare Beccaria in
Italy and Jeremy Bentham in England.
During 19th century the classical school of criminology
wasn’t able to differentiate between the vary degrees of
crimes. As even on stealing a slice of pizza, you can still
go to prison.
Cesare Lombroso believed that criminal was born not made.
In the early development of scientific criminology in the
United States, there were Two Important Events
•The National Conference on Criminal Law and Criminology
held in Chicago, in 1909
•Establishment of the American Institute of Criminal Law and
Thereafter, criminology became a recognized subspecialty
The Revival of Sociological Criminology
•In 1914, Robert Park joined the sociology department at the
University of Chicago
•Two other significant leaders in the revival of sociological
criminology were Sutherland and Merton.
Criminology History in Karachi
University and Pakistan:
Dr. Muhammad Shoaib Suddle Masters a PhD in white
collar crime from Cardiff University (Wales, London) met
Benazir Bhutto who was the Prime Minister of that time.
Benazir Bhutto recommended him that as a PhD holder
in this subject (Criminology); he should start it as a
discipline in Pakistan. The history can be trace back to
began in July
1996 as the
done by Dr
Naseer A Shaikh
Vision behind establishing Criminology as a
discipline: ” talking to The Express Tribune”
During the interview conducted by students of Bahria
University , Dr Burfat explained the vision behind it this
mission that years back they predicted the situation of
crimes in Pakistan, and with that vision they thought of
coming up the idea of Criminology discipline.
Curriculum of criminology BS & Ms .
• Meeting held on 25-26 March 2003.
• Karachi finalized the draft curriculum.
• All participants were welcomed by Mr. Dholan Khiyani, Director HEC.
• Dr. Fateh Muhammad Burfat was requested to Chair the meeting and
Mr. Nabi Bux Narejo to be the Secretary.
• After detailed discussion some of the topics were reviewed and
updated and the curriculum was finalized.
• Curricula for Master in Criminological Sciences Objectives included.
1. ACAGEMIC BASED
2. UNDERSTANDING ABOUT IMPOROTANT ISSUES
3. PROMOTE CRIMINOLOGY
The final meeting of National
Committee on Criminology
1. Regional Centre, Lahore from April 19 ,20, 2012 to
finalize the draft BS(4year) and MS in criminology
2. Prof. Dr. Fateh Muhammad Burfat was requested to chair the meeting and
Prof. Dr. Mian Ghulam Yasin to be the secretary, who were selected by the
committee as a convener and secretary respectively in the last meeting held
on December 21 23, 2011.
3. The committee during its deliberation considered the following objectives:
1. To finalize the curriculum in the discipline of Criminology and to
bring it at par with international standards.
2. To incorporate latest reading & writing material against each
3. To bring uniformity and develop minimum baseline courses in
each and every course of study.
4. To make recommendations for promotion/development of the
The Preliminary Meeting of HEC National Curriculum Revision Committee on
Criminology, which met at Lahore last week with Prof. Dr. Fateh
Muhammad Burfat, University of Karachi in the chair, unanimously
approved the draft curricula of the B.S. (4-year program) and M.S.
Criminology degree programs.
History of Criminology In
University of Sindh,
Department of Criminology University of
Sindh, Jamshoro was started in 1998
History of Criminology In
Punjab University, Lahore:
It was found in 1882 and is known to be one of the
oldest governmental universities of Pakistan. Slowly
Criminology as a field placed its foot in Punjab University
UK, has a worldwide reputation
for excellence in both research
The institute founded by SIR LEO
RADZINOWICZ in 1959 was one
of the first criminological
institutes in Europe.
The MA was founded by the
world famous criminologist the
late Professor JOCK YOUNG.
Criminology is the important
part of the university. It is the
four top institutions of its kind in
First National Award for
excellence in teaching
criminology by the British
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSIY:
California state university was
founded in 1949 The university is
situated in the LOS ANGELES. The
department of criminal justice aims to
work collaboratively to investigate
understand to solve problems related
to the crime.
The Centre for Criminology -
University of Oxford
The Centre is dedicated to pursuing an
innovative programed of
criminological research and to
delivering high-quality graduate
education in criminology at both
masters and doctoral level. Information
about both the Centre’s research, the
MSc degrees in Criminology and
Criminal Justice, and doctoral study.
University of Punjab:
University of Punjab is one of the oldest
and well established universities of
Pakistan. It is one of the top and
leading universities. A large number of
colleges are affiliated with Punjab
Karachi University has accorded
approval of the establishment of
Department of Criminology
Prof Dr Fatah Baraft will be appointed
as the head of this department.
University of York (Canada) Criminology:
• The University of York's BA Criminology is an important development in
British criminology. BA Criminology at York is built upon the investigation and
analysis of the social, cultural, economic, psychological and environmental
causes of crime.
Their graduates are highly sought after by sectors including:
•Social and community work
Birmingham City University :
Criminology - BA (Hons) :
The curriculum of criminology BA (Hons) offers a
varied, yet focused, choice of subjects through
which students will be able to develop their
interests within the specialized field of
criminology and related social science
The Centre for Criminology - University
of Oxford :
• It pursues a research strategy
aimed principally at fostering and
developing clusters of research activity
around six substantive themes. These
are: Security, rights and justice; Penal
culture, policy and practice; Politics,
legitimacy and criminal justice; Crime
and the family; Victims; and Criminal
Justice, Citizenship and Migration.
• These are also the approaches
to the study of crime and criminal
justice that inform teaching and
doctoral supervision in the Centre.
University of Punjab:
• Syllabus includes the following subjects or courses:
• Introduction to Criminology
• Introduction to Security Studies
• Computer Applications
• National and International Perspective on Crime and
• Crime and Criminality: Theory and Policy
• Crime and Security
• Geographical Information System (GIS)
• Criminal Justice System of Pakistan
• Research Methods in Criminology
• Social Statistics in Criminology
• Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource
• Crime and Criminology in Pakistan
• Islamic Perspective on Crime and Punishment
• There is much more.
The HEC (Higher Education
Commission) has prescribed the following program for
Master level degree course for Universities in Pakistan.
These courses include:
1. Essentials of Criminology
2. Crime and Criminal Behavior – Theoretical
3. Criminology Methods of Research
4. System of Criminal Justice
5. The Correctional Institutions
• Karachi University starts
admissions in the master
degree in Criminology.
The programmer’s courses cover key transnational issues including security, terrorism,
cyber-crime and the criminology of war.
Over the course of the degree programme, students will learn about crime scene
investigation, forensic psychology, criminal profiling and the criminal justice system.
In the final year of the programme students are provided with the opportunity to undertake
a work-based placement with a criminal justice agency.
the results in
deals with the
Forensic studies and
Daily tasks of a criminologist
1. Entry-level criminologists conduct
data collection, report proofing,
and computer work, catalogue
information about the possible
causes of crime.
2. the crimes committed, compile
crime statistics, and propose
improvements for the use of
3. They also analyze and develop
crime prevention strategies, the
causes of crime, and how the
community relates to crime.
Criminologists may be involved in
crime scene investigations or attend
autopsies seeking evidence and
information to analyze the crime.
Career paths in
• Criminal Investigations
• Financial Fraud Investigation &
• Research and Policy Studies
FIA (Drug Abuse),
Money laundry and
Research related work in
In Law Enforcement
Potential Jobs in
Pakistan that can
private detective and
community police officer
Prison systems and other institutions
Prison reform officer,
Prison security manager,
Legal aid officer
Criminal investigation wing in
public and private
crime scene investigator
crime pattern analyst
character verification officer
forensic expert etc
As teachers, trainers and counselors in;
university, prison institution and human
1. In order for criminology to make contributions to the knowledge of
terrorism, the discipline ought to incorporate terrorism as part of the
2. Sufficient funds should be provided to develop libraries of criminology
3. More Job opportunities are to be created in relevant fields for criminologist.
4. Subject of criminology should be included at graduate as well as
undergraduate level. We need a master’s level programme where we should
socialize, educate and train the brilliant students from the available degree
holders of BA (preferably having sociology, or law in their graduate studies) or
5. The simple reasons for the laxity in our daily newspapers or talks on various
TV-channels on all issues are mostly journalistic and unprofessional in nature
and we don't have any trained and competent people in this field.
6. There is a need for more Security and Intelligence Agencies for controlling
crimes. Punishment cannot alone be given as a cure for handling crime
international, juvenile Delinquency, Deviance.
7. Special more institutes should be formed so that criminals with these
problems can be handled by criminal psychologist and can be treated in
that way. We don't have any such institute, nor do we have any concerted
efforts in this direction.