7. Introduction: What does “robot” mean?
In 1954, the first programmable robot arm “unimate” was in production.
“Robot” has broader meaning, such as automation software(RPA) and AI Speaker.
8. Introduction: AI Speaker
The number of consumer robots is growing.
AI Speaker becomes most interesting consumer robot.
*robotstart社、robot library, https://robo-lib.com/
10. Introduction: Why AI Speaker?
Skills(applications for Echo)Sales of AI Speakers
*Jeff, Amazon's Echo isn't going to give up its lead anytime soon,
35.6M AI Speakers in the world.
Amazon Echo has 70% share.
*Adam, The 2017 Voice Report by VoiceLabs, VoiceLabs
The number of applications for Echo is growing.
Now Echo has over 20K skills.
11. Introduction: Echo is next iPhone?
Apple expands sales by iPod and iTunes.
Echo is believed as next iPhone.
*Raphael, Creating Value Through Business Model Innovation, MIT
18. Consumer Hardware: Value Shift to Hardware
Prototyping focused on software because a cost of hardware prototyping is too large.
Technologies (e.g. 3D printer) decrease the cost and enable hardware prototyping.
Now many ideas are realized via prototyping.
Software Development was
Hardware Development is
easier than ever.
• 3D printer
21. IoT Trends in Japan: Natural and Cute
Difference between Japan and other countries is small.
However, Japanese IoT focuses more on look and feel.
Others: functionalityJapan: Look and feel
22. IoT Trends in Japan: Pechat
Pechat is the button device that lets a stuffed animal talk.
• Price: 4,990 Yen
• Sales: 60K pcs
• Maker: Hakuhodo (ad agency)
23. IoT Trends in Japan: Gatebox
Gatebox is the hologram device that projects 3D character.
• Price: 298,000 Yen
• Sales: 300 pcs (pre-order)
• Maker: Gatebox
• Acquired by Line
24. IoT Trends in Japan: Kirobo Mini
Kirobo mini is the small companion robot that can talk with a man.
• Price: 39,800 Yen
• Sales: (NA)
• Maker: Toyota
25. IoT Trends in Japan: mui
mui is the touch screen made of wood.
• Price: TBD
• Sales: (NA)
• Maker: NISSHA
• YUKAI Engineering work with
NISSHA as technical partner.
27. Future of IoT: Taking a Hint
As-Is: Explicit commands To-Be: Implicit hints
Explicit commands are necessary for AI
Devices around human take a implicit hint
from human behavior.
28. Future of IoT: Google Nest
Nest learns characteristic of the human and room.
• Heating and cooling system
• Time to temperature
• Schedule of being home
• Difference between weekday and
29. Future of IoT: growth of IoT
This Year: New Experience A Few Years: Eco-system Robot taking a hint
• Widespread as AI speaker
• Also work as voice control
• Increase of Voice
• Sensors and devices will be
connected to Voice Control
• Pattern recognition AI will be
integrated to the system.
• Every device will work
World Trends: AI Speakers Japanese Trends: Looks and Feels
Future: take a hint by robots
Growth of IoT eco system Device works automatically