Revision questions and exam technique for institutions and audiences
Revision Questions and exam technique for
Institutions and Audiences
The key assessment objectives for Institutions
and Audiences are:
AO1: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of media concepts, contexts and critical
debates, using terminology appropriately and with accurate and coherent written
expression. ( 30% of the mark)
AO2: Apply knowledge and understanding to show how meanings are created when
analysing media products and evaluating their own practical work. ( 20% of the mark )
Write a brief plan which addresses the
question's key words.
Think about your institution(s) and
how they target theiraudiences in the UK.
What are/were the issues and patterns for:
• Distribution and Marketing
• Technological Convergence (can be in any
of the above)
• Synergies (can be in any of the above)
• Cross Media Ownership, etc.?
Remember to analyse the exam question for its key words and phrases to ensure that your
answer's ARGUMENT is relevant. It's good exam technique to use some of the question's key
words and phrases in your introduction to get you started with your essay's argument. You
also need to refer to the question's key words and phrases regularly in subsequent
paragraphs in which you make various points in your argument.
AO1 is the most important assessment objective for Institutions and Audiences: (The
UK Film industry) You can show a broader context by making comparisons with big US
institutions and their films to throw light on the issues facing UK based institutions for choices
of genre, budgets, casting, technology, special effects, marketing, exhibition, the targeting of
audiences, critical reception, etc.
Practice Exam Questions
Answer the questions below, making detailed reference to examples from your case study
material to support the points made in your answer.
1. Eric Fellner, who heads Working Title Films argues, "It's not the film industry, it's the film
To what extent to you agree with this statement?
2. "Media production is dominated by global institutions, which sell their products and services
to national audiences." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
3. To what extent is production, marketing and distribution important for an institution's
success in the British marketplace?
4. How important is technological convergence for institutions and audiences within a media
area which you studied?
5. To what extent have audiences influenced and affected an institution which you have
6. Discuss the issues raised by an institution's need to target specific audiences within a
media industry which you have studied.
7. To what extent has exhibition and exchange affected an institution which you have