‘The unit is marked out of a total of 100 marks:
20 marks for the planning and research and its
presentation; 60 marks for the construction;
20 marks for the evaluation.’
Your Evaluation will be uploaded to your blog.
‘Each candidate will evaluate and reflect on the
creative process and their experience of it.
Candidates will evaluate their work
electronically. The format of the evaluation
has some flexibility and its form can be
negotiated between teacher and student: it
may take place with individual candidates or
with the production group as a whole, or each
individual candidate or production group may
make a formal or informal presentation to the
How would you order these questions?
In what ways does your
How effective is the
media product use, develop combination of your main
or challenge forms and
product and ancillary texts?
conventions of real media
What have you learned
from your audience
How did you use media
technologies in the
research, planning and
Level 4 Evaluation (16-20 marks)
• There is excellent understanding of the forms and conventions used in the
• There is excellent understanding of the role and use of new media in
various stages of the production.
• There is excellent understanding of the combination of main product and
• There is excellent understanding of the significance of audience feedback.
• There is excellent skill in choice of form in which to present the evaluation.
• There is excellent ability to communicate.
• There is excellent use of digital technology or ICT in the evaluation.
Examples of A* Evaluations
Pop up video
How will I present each question?
Garageband (can incorporate still images/jpegs)
Podcast, jellycast, soundcloud
Survey monkey, vox pops
Pop up video
9 key frame analysis
is suitable for
1. In what ways does your media product use, develop
or challenge forms and conventions of real media
Things to consider in your answer:
• What media platform have you used to present your video and ancillary texts?
• What are the genre conventions? (compare to existing examples.)
• How have you conformed to the forms and conventions? (consider
technical, symbolic, verbal, genre) Reference illustrative examples from your
• Did you make a conscious decision to challenge any forms and conventions?
Explain with reference to illustrative examples from your own texts and
compare to examples from professional media texts.
• Have they proven successful? Have you developed (extended/improved/made
more prevalent) any existing conventions in your own video and ancillary
• How did YOU demonstrate this? What was YOUR contribution? What were
YOU inspired by and why?
2.How effective is the combination of your
main product and ancillary texts?
Things to consider in your answer:
• You must illustrate your answer. Show that you have created
synergy across your 3 products in your design, layout,
construction of representations, mise-en-scene, colour
scheme etc etc
• You need to evidence how your products will be easily
identifiable to your audience.
• Comment on how you think they are – successful? Are you
happy with it? Does it meet the expectations/conventions
Theory to incorporate?:
• Audience theory (Uses and gratification, demographics and psychographics)
• Reception theory
• Representation – Ideology, Laura Mulvey Male Gaze, stereotypes, countertypes
• Narrative theory
3. What have you learned from your audience
• Design a questionnaire. This can be carried out via survey
monkey, social media and/or vox pops.
• This question should be presented in a film format and is arguably
the most complex to answer.
• The questionnaire must obtain feedback on the music video AND
• When analysing the feedback, consider WHO you are interviewing.
Are they a cross section of society, niche market or selection of the
target audience? Which do you think would be most appropriate?
• When analysing their response consider incorporating Stuart Hall’s
reception theory (and other audience theory). You will have to
consider how you build this into your original questions in order to
extract the most useful information out of their responses.
• Consider comparing the response of different demographic groups.
Male vs female perhaps? (Particularly if you have constructed
positive/negative stereotype/countertypes associated with
4. How did you use media technologies in the construction and
research, planning and evaluation stages?
• You are effectively auditing your skills as a Media
• There should be some reflection about how you
have progressed since AS and what was different
about this unit.
• Use Bubbl.us to create a detailed mind map
exploring the answer (1 for research, planning
and evaluation?) Support with a written post
supported with screen grabs and photographs
documenting your personal development
Finished music videos
• Over the half term, you must complete the
• Design a questionnaire as part of your group and
decide how you are going to collate your results
and who you are going to target for a response.
• COLLECT THE FEEDBACK. When you return you
will have ONE WEEK to put it together.
• Q1, 3 and 4 must be completed (INDIVIDUALLY)
and uploaded to the blog by the Monday after