Aim: Whole is greater than sum of parts
Movie Game Book Media Franchise
Whole is less than the sum of the parts:
dissatisfying conclusion to consuming all media
Movie Game Book Transmedia
Whole is more satisfying than the sum of the parts:
euphoria of collecting and connecting the pieces
Lowlifes: novella, webseries, blog
Early transmedia Problems (IMHO)
• Many transmedia examples
today are “experimental” in
that their appeal is in their
• Too much friction for too
• Endless detail ZZzzzzz
Two key thoughts...
• Emotion leads to immersion
• Choices not things
Why consider transmedia?
• Becoming the entertainment modus operandi
– Audience expectations
– Audience habits (e.g. online)
– Old world is dying
• The explosion of free content has meant:
– Discovery & attention problems
– Payment “issues”
• Multiple audience touchpoints
• Opportunity to outflank Hollywood
Timescale for metro 2033
• 2002: Self-published novel given away for FREE. Set up website
(http://m-e-t-r-o.boom.ru) and posted on sci-fi forums.
• 2002-2004: Thousands of readers. Readers ask for revival of
the main character and to continue the book.
• 2004: Added 8 new chapters – published as series with readers
suggesting plot lines, guessing the plot and providing
• May 2005: New version of Metro 2033 completed. Now has “dozens
of thousands of readers”.Three publishers offer deal.
• 2010: Millions have read Metro 2033 online. In Russia,
400 000 physical copies of book sold.
• 2010: New book and new website for Metro 2034 (M2034.RU). In
less than 6 months, visitors exceeded 500 000 unique readers.
300 000 books sold.
• Source: Author Dimitri Glukhovsky and http://transmediadesign.org/metro-2033-book-game/
Delivering your story, profitably
• Five key, inter-locking
• Iterate through the process to
• Could be tackled in a different
sequence to the one I’ll show
here but considerations are the
same… and still requires
Transmedia from first idea
What’s the best way to delivery this
story to this audience?
Matching Audience to Platforms
– Who are they?
– Where do they hang out?
• Platforms (e.g. media + technology)
– Reading: paperback, ebook, comics
– Watching: TV, online, mobile, theatre,
– Listening: radio, online, mobile
– Interacting: console, online, mobile,
– Investors don’t want repayment
– Higher marketing costs
– Vulnerable to piracy
– Free to view on some platforms
– Paid on others: some more suited to
– Other revenue sources
• The internet has leveled the
playing field: let’s change
• Transmedia plays to indie’s
• Doesn’t have to be
• CwF+Rtb=$$ (TechDirt/Mike Masnick)
http://www.techdirt.com/rtb.php) but for
indie filmmakers, recommend Ross Pruden
• Christian Veil: Heros of the North
• Slide borders use half-tone brush for
Things I’m working on now
• Platform for transmedia storytelling
• Before You Close Your Eyes
My Contact details
• Robert Pratten
– robert at zenfilms dot com ;)