1. Facilitating a Sense ofCommunity in Online andBlended LearningEnvironments
2. Communication leads to community, that is, tounderstanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.Rollo May
3. Students in educational environments with a strongsense of community are more likely to. . .
4. Solomon, Battistich, Watson, Schaps, & Lewis, 2000 in Schaps Creating a School Communityhttp://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar03/vol60/num06/Creating-a-School-Community.aspx. . . be academically motivated.
5. Solomon, Battistich, Watson, Schaps, & Lewis, 2000 in Snaps Creating a School Communityhttp://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar03/vol60/num06/Creating-a-School-Community.asp. . . develop social and emotional competencies.
6. . . . act ethically and altruisticallySchaps, Battistich, & Solomon, 1997 in Schaps Creating a School Communityhttp://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar03/vol60/num06/Creating-a-School-Com
7. Community-building should be emphasized notjust for the sense of togetherness it providesstudents, but because it also helps keep thestudents in the class, promotes full engagement inthe class activities, facilitates effectivecollaborative learning, and encourages continuedcommunication after the course or program iscomplete.Brown, R. E. (2001). The process of community-building in distance learning classes. Journal of Asynchronous LearningNetworks, 5(2), 18-35.
8. Vesely, P., Bloom, L. & Sherlock, J. (2007). Key Elements of Building Online Community: Comparing Faculty and StudentPerceptions. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 3, (3). Retrived from http://jolt.merlot.org/vol3no3/vesely.htm.
9. Brown, R. (2001). The Process of Community Building in a Distance Learning ClassesThe development of communityshould be an intentional goal whendesigning class activities.
10. Research suggests that a senseof community can beencouraged through . . .
11. emphasizing common purposes and ideals
12. commonality is the essence of communityBrown, R. (2001). The Process of Community Building in a Distance Learning Classes
13. Brown, R. (2001). The Process of Community Building in a Distance Learning ClassesGetting to “know” each other. Finding out where people lived,what they did, their experiences, whether or not they hadfamilies and the like was the “X” factor. Participants generallyagreed that this should have been a first step in community-building.commonality is the essence of community
14. Brown, R. (2001). The Process of Community Building in a Distance Learning Classesprovide regular opportunitiescooperation and collaboration
15. Brown, R. (2001). The Process of Community Building in a Distance Learning Classesactively cultivate respectful, supportiverelationships among students and teachers
16. Strategies and Activities forBuilding Communities
17. Strategies for BuildingCommunitiesIn an online environment, human interactiondoes not just happen naturally. Onlinestudents need a way to get to know theinstructor, and others. There are severalways to encourage your students to interactwith each other.http://www.southalabama.edu/oll/jobaidsfall03/Icebreakers%20Online/icebreakerjobaid.htm
18. Make It Interactive
19. Focus on Student-to-Student Interactions
20. Use Skill Sets Familiar toStudents: Texting, Photo-
21. Use Multimedia –Go Beyond Text-Driven Responses
22. Make itfun,creative,engaging
23. giving students a voice and face =discovering commonalities(and building language skills)
24. Strategies for BuildingCommunitiesTips for Effective Ice-Breakers1.Keep it simple.2.Make it fun.3.Be creative.4.Consider various types of Ice-breakers--dont juststick to "questions.”5.Consider your audience.6.Be aware of time constraints7.Keep in mind technology requirements.http://twt.wikispaces.com/Ice-Breaker+Ideas
25. Activities for BuildingCommunitieshttp://www.southalabama.edu/oll/jobaidsfall03/Icebreakers%20Online/icebreakerjobaid.htm
26. All About Me Photo Essayhttp://community-building.weebly.com/all-about-me.html
27. I Am Poemshttp://community-building.weebly.com/i-am-poems.html
28. I Am Poemshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/78773858@N03/
29. I Am Poemshttps://docs.google.com/a/boisestate.edu/presentation/d/1wBl3932bTQPqt5xpe4yl-CZf527KaTShid.g94293cd5_4_53
30. Personal Interviews via Textinghttp://community-building.weebly.com/personal-interviews.html
31. Personal Interviews via Textinghttp://padlet.com/
32. Voicethread Introductions
33. Other Uses of Voicethreadhttp://voicethread.psu.edu/use-case/