13. cc licensed ﬂickr photo by Will Lion: h"p://ﬂickr.com/photos/will-‐lion/2595497078/
14. Enter digital curation
15. What is content curation? Content curation is the process of sorting through the vast amounts of content on the web and presenting it in a meaningful and organized way around a speciﬁc theme. The work involves sifting, sorting, arranging, and publishing information. -‐ Beth Kanter h"p://www.bethkanter.org/content-‐curaGon-‐101/
16. What is a content curator? A content curator cherry picks the best content that is important and relevant to share with their community. It isn’t unlike what a museum curator does to produce an exhibition: They identify the theme, they provide the context, they decide which paintings to hang on the wall, how they should be annotated, and how they should be displayed for the public. -‐ Beth Kanter h"p://www.bethkanter.org/content-‐curaGon-‐101/
20. cc licensed ﬂickr photo by Will Lion: h"p://ﬂickr.com/photos/will-‐lion/2595497078/
21. Why a curated web?
22. Why a socially curated web?
23. Why a socially curated web in education / training?• Working in course design, ﬁnding/ selecting resources is large part• Working in course delivery• Live curating for teaching• A new skill for the 21st century
24. Who’s doing it well (in edtech)?
27. Types of digital curators
28. Closed door• “Have everything I need” • No informaGon in, no informaGon out
45. Step 2: Regularly access yr streamsSet up Access streams
46. iPad is magic for this
47. Step 3: Select what to curate • Why? • Who for? Set up Access Select streams • What value to me? • What value to students? • What value to others? This is all value you add….
48. Step 4: “Tag it and bag it” t C ollecSet up Access Select streams
49. Other part of Step 4: Share t C ollecSet up Access Select streams Shar e
50. In Moodle
51. Curation in Moodle• CuraGon by teacher • Most commonly happens on the course page • Gather resources, readings & links
52. Curation in MoodleNews forum Discussion forum • CuraGon by teacher • ParGcipatory curaGon by • Eg Weekly links, readings, teacher, class, group or news arGcles other • Weekly contribuGon on a topic • Link sharing throughout course
53. Curation in MoodleGlossary Wiki • Allows parGcipatory • ParGcipatory curaGon by curaGon by teacher, class, teacher, class, group or group or others other • Eg Weekly links, readings, • Weekly contribuGon on a news arGcles topic • Each student curates one • A group can curate one topic topic on a page • Link sharing throughout course
54. Some newtools to use
56. Why should I use othercuration tools when I haveMoodle?"Reason 1: Ease
57. Why should I use othercuration tools when I haveMoodle?"Reason 2: Public
58. Why should I use othercuration tools when I haveMoodle?"Reason 3: Ownership &Continued Access
59. Why should I use othercuration tools when I haveMoodle?"Reason 4: Your Digital Proﬁle/PLN
60. If we use external tools,can we kill offMoodle?
61. Core resources Live curated resources Ambient resources
62. Integration with Moodle <embed> page book wiki side block
63. LMS has a future as asocial learning mixingpanel PhotoMixing Panel cc license by Sergiu Bacioiu h"p://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/ sergiu_bacioiu/4370021957/
64. So, go forth and curate…Filter photo by Nadar cc license h"p://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/h"pwwwﬂickrcompeoplenadar/3349883/