1. Thesis: KM for Financial Consultancies Thesis Studio: Fall 2009 Amber Krishan | MFA DT Jerome Nadel ( Senior Vice President of User Experience at Sagem Wireless ) Ed Dale ( Usability Center Manager at Ernst & Young LLP ) Somanshu Suran ( Consultant at Ernst & Young, India ) Katherine Morawaki ( Faculty Parsons ) Louisa Cambell (Faculty Parsons)
2. The Technology Dilemma Before Digitization After Digitization Appropriate Digitization Close knit communities where people engaged with each other Virtual global communities flourish but local communities slowly dissolve Exploit technology to
3. The Situation in Office Workplace Knowledge is stored in databases and archives! Users face a steep learning curve with each new archive. Don’t make me search through archives! I just need to ask someone. I just don’t know who! Corporate environment does not facilitate conversation, rather enforces technologies which create a social divide. Knowledge in all its granularity resides within the minds of the employees.
4. Thesis Question How can relevant connections be made amongst employees across an organizations?
5. System Components System database Desktop Application Wireless Dock ID card device
6. Forming Relevant Connections SPACE & TIME What do I really need in this space and time? Office Space Time Current Layer <ul><li>Current project </li></ul><ul><li>Current area of interest </li></ul><ul><li>Current question </li></ul>What all am I currently interested in? Professional Layer <ul><li>Designation </li></ul><ul><li>Department </li></ul><ul><li>Domains of Interest </li></ul><ul><li>Projects </li></ul><ul><li>Clients </li></ul>What are my overall professional interests? Social Layer <ul><li>Name </li></ul><ul><li>Nationality </li></ul><ul><li>Marital Status </li></ul><ul><li>Hobbies and interests </li></ul><ul><li>Favorites Movies </li></ul><ul><li>Favorite Books </li></ul><ul><li>Favorite Music </li></ul>What are my overall personal interests?
7. Concept System Desktop interface VIRTUAL SPACE Access and update profile information Get API hooks into various social network platforms System Database The Internet Wireless dock PHYSICAL SPACE User Profile Beacon Transfer rich profile details onto the user’s beacon Provide the ‘Beacon’ with a sense of place within the office space Transfer accumulated contacts and information Profile Beacons from other users Connect Socially Profile Beacons from other users Connect Professionally Profile Beacons from other users Relevant Connections
8. Enhanced Knowledge Sharing through making relevant connections Making Relevant contacts Forming Communities Share knowledge Across the Company