October 31, 2011 COMMUNICATION SKILLS PROF. V. VISWANADHAM
October 31, 2011 SILENCE IS GOLDEN SPEECH IS SILVER
October 31, 2011 C = R WORDS HAVE WONDERFUL POWER ENCOURAGE OR DISCOURAGE INSPIRE OR INSTIGATE DO AND UNDO MAKE AND UNMAKE HARM AND HEAL SO, THINK AND SPEAK ? OR, SPEAK AND THINK ?
October 31, 2011 THINK MORE THAN YOU TALK & TALK LESS THAN YOU LISTEN THINK > TALK TALK < LISTEN Think > listen > talk
October 31, 2011 Communication Goals To change behavior To get action To ensure understanding To persuade To get and give Information
October 31, 2011 Why is communication important ? <ul><li>Inspires confidence </li></ul><ul><li>Builds respect </li></ul><ul><li>Helps make friends </li></ul><ul><li>Reveals your ability to others </li></ul><ul><li>Develops a distinct personality </li></ul>
October 31, 2011 BODY MIND SOUL 3 Energies COMBINATION IMPROVES PHYSICAL MENTAL SPIRITUAL SKILLS
What is Communication? October 31, 2011 SENDER RECEIVER Feedback receiver sender The process of sending and receiving information among people… Medium Encode Decode
Most common ways to communicate <ul><li>70 % of our </li></ul><ul><li>communication efforts are: </li></ul><ul><li>misunderstood </li></ul><ul><li>misinterpreted </li></ul><ul><li>rejected </li></ul><ul><li>distorted or </li></ul><ul><li>not heard </li></ul>October 31, 2011 Speaking Visual Images Writing Body Language We need to improve our communication... 70%
October 31, 2011 COMMUNICATIONS CAN BOTH ENHANCE & ENRICH RELATIONSHIPS BOTH AT WORK & AT HOME WHY NOT WE DO SOMETHING TO FURTHER IMPROVE OUR COMMUNICATIONS ?
October 31, 2011 UNIQUENESS OF HUMAN COMMUNICATION SKILLS " YOUR SPEECH REVEALS YOUR CHARACTER " SPEECH IS A MIRROR OF THE SOUL
October 31, 2011 PEOPLE ARE INFLUENCED, PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED, CHANGES ARE FACILITATED, EXCELLENT RELATIONSHIPS ARE DEVELOPED, DESIRED RESULTS ARE ACHIEVED, AND SUCCESS IS ENSURED. GET MOTIVATED TO IMPROVE YOUR COMMUNICATION SKILLS WITH EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS IMPROVE BOTH INTERNAL & EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION
October 31, 2011 COMMUNICATION PLAYS A VITAL ROLE IN DISCOVERING OURSELVES & THE WORLD AROUND US Our attitudes and beliefs, perceptions and prejudices, the quality of our thinking & our values get conveyed in our communication
October 31, 2011 THE QUALITY OF YOUR LIFE IS THE QUALITY OF YOUR COMMUNICATION ~ BOTH WITH YOURSELF & OTHERS
October 31, 2011 ENCOURAGE YOURSELF & OTHERS, TO FURTHER IMPROVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS
October 31, 2011 EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION IS NOT JUST GETTING THE MESSAGE ACROSS BUT ITS ACCEPTANCE FROM ITS INTENDED RECEIVERS WHICH CAUSES THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR FROM THE RECEIVERS OF THE MESSAGE ONLY THEN, THE RECEIVERS WILL BE WILLING TO CONVERT THE COMMUNICATION INTO ACTION SURELY, YOU WANT ACTION ~ IS IT NOT ?
October 31, 2011 THE ABILITY TO LISTEN TO, OBSERVE & INTERPRET ALL FORMS OF LANGUAGE IS ESSENTIAL FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION [ NATURE'S GIFT + CONCENTRATION + INTELLIGENCE ]
October 31, 2011 Love is so caring… COMMUNICATION INCLUDES BODY LANGUAGE, TONALITY OF VOICE & THE WORDS YOU USE. 55% + 38% + 7% = 100%
October 31, 2011 <ul><li>Interrupting </li></ul><ul><li>to complete others ’ sentences </li></ul><ul><li>Preparing </li></ul><ul><li>our response before someone has completed speaking </li></ul><ul><li>Multitasking </li></ul><ul><li>while ‘listening’ </li></ul><ul><li>Filtering </li></ul><ul><li>content or meaning </li></ul><ul><li>based on our opinion / prejudice </li></ul><ul><li>about the speaker </li></ul>Common Communication Errors
October 31, 2011 Take responsibility for every stage of the Communication Cycle: What is intended – What is spoken – What is heard – How it is understood – What is agreed to – What is acted on – How it is actually implemented – What results were really obtained. Be aware of where you or others tend to fall off the cycle.
October 31, 2011 W. A. T. C. H. W = WORDS A = ACTIONS T = THOUGHTS C = CHARACTER H = HEAD & HEART
1. MAKE SURE THAT BODY LANGUAGE, YOUR WORDS & TONALITY ARE CONGRUENT – [ ALIGNED AND SENDING THE SAME MESSAGE ] SOME USEFUL HINTS FOR IMPROVING COMMUNICATION SKILLS :
2. MAINTAINING EYE CONTACT – [ EXPRESSION OF YOUR INTEREST ]
3. IMPROVE YOUR VOICE CULTURE – [ MAKE IT INTERESTING ]
4. BE POSITIVE, PRECISE AND CLEAR – [ ~ “Don’t forget to complete the work by tomorrow.” ] [ ~ “Please remember to complete the work by tomorrow.” ]
5. GOOD LISTENING SUPPLIES THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF GOOD UNDERSTANDING AND GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS ~ Listening is an active process involving : Ears – for verbal communication Eyes – for non-verbal communication Body – for gestures
6 . WELL-TIMED PAUSES GIVE TIME FOR EXPLANATION, EVALUATION & DEVELOPMENT OF THOUGHT ~ Facial expressions reveal the difference between a pregnant pause and an embarrassed silence
7. SUMMARISING IS AN ESSENTIAL SKILL WHICH TAKES STOCK OF THE MAIN POINTS COVERED
8. EMPATHIZE WITH THE RECEIVER OF THE MESSAGE ~ put yourself in the other person’s position, understand the other person’s perspective and then proceed to interact
9 . COMMUNICATION MUST APPEAL TO BOTH MIND AND HEART ~ appealing to mind requires facts, evidence and logic ~ appealing to the heart, more difficult, requires ‘touching the soul’ - based on mutually respected values
10. KEEP THE COMMUNICATION SIMPLE ~ say it in simple sentences, with no twists and turns ‘ communicate to express but not to impress’
11. TELL IT AND TELL IT AGAIN, IF NECESSARY ~ tell the point once – then come back and hit it again, and again.
12. COMMUNICATE WITH CONFIDENCE ~ communication exposes your inner thoughts, feelings and sentiments. Your confidence, or the lack of it, is getting transparently revealed.
13. PRACTICE THE ART OF COMMUNICATING ON PAPER ~ thinking on paper & saying on paper
14. COMMUNICATION IS IRREVERSIBLE ~ communication cannot be reversed [ reversible processes – water and ice irreversible processes – milk and coffee ] Only minimizing the hurt feelings is possible, but the damage has already been done. [ ~ forgive but not forget ] Be highly careful, thoughtful and purposeful
15. COMMUNICATION IS MORE A PEOPLE PROCESS THAN A LANGUAGE PROCESS ~ communication is a series of actions and reactions communication influences our own and that of others’ behaviour communication reflects the true personality of an individual
16. COMMUNICATION CAN ALWAYS BE IMPROVED ~ practice, more practice and much more practice
17. COMMUNICATION AND FEEDBACK ~ feedback ensures that message has been received in the manner, that was originally intended
October 31, 2011 Be aware of the Values, Attitudes, Pressures & Prejudices of others; they may not be the same as yours. Understand that not everyone is like you. Try different ways of communicating with different personality types.
October 31, 2011 COMMIT YOURSELF TO IMPROVE YOUR COMMUNICATION YOU WILL FIND THAT YOUR DESTINY CAN BE REWRITTEN
WITH GRATEFUL THANKS to many authors, writers, teachers & good friends whose combined contribution inspired me in compiling this presentation