1. Unconference.net Like a conference, but better.
2. WelcomeDo you want to create an event that: • Builds community? • Unleashes initiatives? • Helps solve problems?
3. Engage PeopleDo you want people to be energized and engagedwhen they participate?Imagine a conference where the way people interacthas more structure than a cocktail party and moreexcitement than a full day of panels.Attendees learn, share, and exchange ideasdynamically.Complex problems can be explored, relationshipsbuilt, and new collaborations emerge.
4. UnconferenceAttendees actively create the agenda withthe assistance of a skilled facilitator where allthe sessions become relevant and engaging. “Kaliya is a master facilitator.While Kaliya uses Open Space as a base, she is also not afraid to use new formats and techniques.”
5. What• Unconferences blend appropriate process methods that bring people together to learn, share, and take participatory action, minimizing the passivity of low engagement.• Highly interactive, Unconferences can achieve good results in an hour, a half day within a regular conference, or with fully interactive one to three day events. The peer-to-peer learning environment of an Unconference is good for multi-disciplinary exchange. “We had no previous experience hosting an unconference and Kaliya provided invaluable guidance that made our Ruby on Rails Camp a huge success!”
6. HowWithin the self-organizing structure of anUnconference, anyone looking to solve a problemwill have the opportunity to tackle it with otherswho are interested in ﬁnding solutions.The ﬂexible nature of the Unconference methodallows for groups to work together until they havecome up with a solution.
7. Why• Unconferences methodology works in a wide variety of circumstances with audiences ranging from well established, formal organizations, to cutting edge technologies.• Unconferences address the latest developments in an industry, whether they happen a week or even a day before the event, particularly valuable in rapidly evolving ﬁelds.• All attendees are assured that the questions they want to explore will be covered, provided they bring their passions and commitments to the table.• Immediate documentation of sessions enables forward motion when energy is still high.• Vendors can present within an Unconference format, and be assured that attendees are coming to listen to their particular presentation, allowing a better ﬁt.• Unconference attendees are often amazed that concrete solutions arise to difﬁcult problems, and at the same time community and commitments are forged.
8. Our Process We believe the most effective events involve story, conversation, problem posing and problem solving. Our Unconferences are crafted with the right mix of methods that will meet the requirements of the event.Our process works in ﬁve simple steps:1. Contact us for an initial assessment of the values of the organization and goals for an event.2. We create a preliminary event design for you.3. After initial approval, we move to detailed planning and implementation.4. We facilitate the event.5. We help implement cost effective online and print documentation from the event. “Jean Russell helped us clarify and prioritize our strategic needs and key outcomes. She held us to our own goals throughout the event – making sure that the value she promised us for the event would be the value we received.”
9. Our CommittmentAt each stage we work closely with our clients Clientsto ensure the event is meeting their needs and ■ AOLexpectations. ■ The One Club for Art and Copy ■ Bill and Melinda Gates FoundationWe provide a full range of event planning ■ Forum Oneincluding logistics and production, facilitation, ■ Foresight Instituteand documentation. ■ Mass Technology Leadership Council ■ NY State Ass. of Independent SchoolsEngage us now to engage your ■ ReadWriteWebaudience. “The meeting design and facilitation for our annual meeting was superb! With Bill’s leadership, we were able to get the major issues onto the table and deal honestly in an atmosphere of openness to all perspectives.”
10. Our Team Kaliya Hamlin, Principal Jean Russell, Associate In 2005 Kaliya co-founded the Internet Identity As a catalyst and social ecosystem designer., Jean Workshop. Since 2006, she has designed and Russell is on a quest to catalyze group productivity. facilitated over 200 unconferences for a range of Demonstrating collaboration, she curated, professional communities in both North America “Thrivability: A Collaborative Sketch” with 65 and Europe. She is an expert and leader in the inspiring people. She blogs and tweets as “Thrivable.” ﬁelds of user-centric digital identity and personal data. She blogs, and tweets under her community Lucy Perry, Associate handle – “Identity Woman“. Lucy Perry worked for many years supporting clients Kaliya@unconference.net in the creative use of technology and knowledge management. Lucy has trained in a variety of Bill Aal, Partner approaches, and she regularly facilitates groups in Bill has extensive experience as a developer and Europe and Asia, including clients from the business IT manager. He is the principal of Tools for world as well as the humanitarian and international Change, which has provided training and development sectors. facilitation to support inclusion in business and non-proﬁt sectors for 20 years. He has designed Jennifer Holmes, Associate and produced creative solution ﬁnding events for A long time event producer, Jennifer has worked at government structures and communities Wired Magazine, the Institute of Noetic Sciences throughout the US. Bill@unconference.net and The AIDS Ride. She has worked on numerous events and projects from The Webby Awards to Bay to Breakers.