AMIT PATEL (116820306037)
HETAV PATEL (116820306044)
BINNY PARMAR (116820306045)
A trap is a depressed or bent sanitary fitting which
always remains full of water (water seal). The function
of a trap is to prevent the entry of bad smelling gases
into the house. The effectiveness depends upon the
depth of water seal, which varies from 25 to 75mm
Requirements of good trap:
1. It should be capable of being easily cleaned.
2. It should be easily fixed with the drain.
3. It should be of simple construction.
4. It should possess self-cleansing property.
5. It should posses adequate water seal to fulfil the purpose
6. It should be free from any inside projection which are
likely to obstruct the passage of flow of sewage.
7. The internal and external surfaces should be of smooth
Types Of Traps:
As its name suggests, the p-trap vaguely resembles the
letter "p" when turned on its side.
• P-traps exit into the
wall behind the sink
The "S" shape traps water so that odours from the
sewer don't come up through the drain. A second and
only slight benefit from the shape is that it can trap
heavier objects, such as rings, that fall into the drain.
This trap is used in toilet under water closet. It is
almost similar to S trap and is used in upper storey
other than ground floor.
The pipe installed for the purpose of ventilation is
known as vent pipe through which foul gases escape
Without a vent pipe (stack vent), as wastewater flows
down your waste pipe, a partial vacuum would develop
at the top of the pipe which would stop the wastewater
from flowing the rest of the way down.
The pipe carrying only rainwater (from the roof tops)
is called rain water pipe.
The advantage of rainwater pipes is:
1) Prevents accumulation of water on roof.
2) Water can be collected for
harvesting, domestic purposes like
washing, cleaning etc.
Anti- siphonage pipe:
Anti- siphonage pipe means any pipe provided in
conjunction with a trap in the sanitary fitting to
prevent unsealing of the trap by siphonage or back
Back- siphonage causes breaking of the water seal
therefore anti-siphonage pipe is requires