5. Product management = figuring out...
- what the product is and what it is for
- who the product is for
- the competitive landscape
- what goes and doesn’t go into the product
- evaluating the product to make sure it does
what it is supposed to (and users love it)
- what to do and when (“product roadmap”)
- how to build it (with development/mfg)
- how to sell it (with marketing and sales)
13. Listen to your customers, but remember
that they don’t have (all) the answers!
“If I had asked people what they
wanted, they would have said
– commonly attributed to Henry Ford
16. Final words of advice
- find a specific problem worth addressing
- figure out who your customer is (maybe
even sketch a user persona or two?)
- get out of the building!
- validate your assumptions!
- believe in your product...
- ...but don’t be afraid to change course if it
turns out you’re on the wrong path