Open Badges demonstrating volunteers’ competencies at the Finnish Red Cross
Sole Noranta, Volunteer Training Coordinator at the Finnish Red Cross, speaks about the organisation’s ongoing open badges project.
Many volunteers participate in the operation of the Finnish Red Cross, donating their time and skills. In return, they will also learn new skills and competencies. Open badges are an excellent way to reward the volunteers and help them demonstrate their competencies also in their private lives.
OPEN BADGES IN FINNISH RED CROSS
Open Badge Factory Webinar on December 10th 2019
• Finnish Red Cross Training System for
• Elements of Training Development
• Competency Development in Finnish
• Why Badges?
• From testing to final procedures
• Testing in progress (Volunteer Trainers)
• Questions to be solved in the near
FINNISH RED CROSSTRAINING SYSTEM FOR
Volunteering Fields = Training Fields
Trainings: 5000 /
Participants: 60 000
/year Volunteering fields:
• First aid
• Psychosocial support
• International Humanitarian Law
• Multicultural actions
• Friend service
• Youth work
• Health promotion
• Rescue service
Badges are planned to be based on volunteering
roles in these fields, such as …
• ”Member of a Rescue group”
• ”Contact person for Friend Service”
• ”Youth Club Leader”
All volunteers …
Diversity in volunteering
a particular field
skills needed in
ELEMENTS OFTRAINING DEVELOPMENT
Role descriptions and the skills needed in those. To ensure that our ”trtaining
map” meets volunteers needs.
Ensures flexibility and unity when building training
pathways. Skills and competences as a starting point for
planning. Using common tools and frames for planning.
New platforms to be deployed during 2020
To enable basic training for volunteers.
Mutual guidelines, policies, roles, rights and
responsibilities. (A prerequisite for a coherent
and resource efficient system).
Open Badge system:
Technical management environment exists.
Piloting with the volunteer trainers.
Graphic/visual model designed by Accenture.
External validation of key training programs
COMPETENCY DEVELOPMENT IN FINNISH RED CROSS
N AND WEB
…THE FIRST PHASE…
WHICH SKILLS, WHICH
HOW TO BUILD
AND TRAINING PATHS
BASED ON NEEDED
WHAT KIND OF BADGES
DO WE CREATE TO
Benefits / Volunteers
• Shows and increases visibility and value of
• An easy and modern way to verify the skills
acquired in volunteering to employers or
official educational institutions
• Makes deepening knowledge visible
• Provides opportunities to varying tasks in
Benefits / Finnish Red Cross
• Reward and motivate volunteers
• To engage volunteers
• Visible and understandable learning
programs and learning goals
• ”Guides” to design compentence-based
training modules and programs
FROM TESTING TO FINAL PROCEDURES
SIVIS STUDY CENTER: BADGES
FOR MEMBER NGO:S
DEPLOYMENT IN FRC ACTION FIELDS?
Volunteer Trainer Patrolling Volunteer
Contact person for migration
THE FINAL ”BADGE FAMILY” WILL BE CONSTRUCTED WHILE
SETTING THE LEARNING GOALS AND LEARNING PATHWAYS.
Collecting Feedback from Volunteers and Staff
Finding the ideal process to create and issue
How do these work for Finnish Red Cross
Which are the action fields where we want to
recognize skills and compencies?
How do Badges work as a method to do this?
TESTING IN PROGRESS… Volunteer Trainers´s Badge
ToT training program
QUESTIONS (TO BE SOLVED IN THE NEAR FUTURE)
• How to convince all actors and stakeholders to ”jump aboard”?
• How to define and prioritize the final key competencies in our organization
since we operate in such a large scale?
• How to ensure the staff members competence to run and manage the
• How to find relevant tools and methods for disseminating and marketing
• How to find methods and resources to recognize and acknowledge
volunteers previous skills and competences?