IL Skills : Location and access, Information seeking, and Use of information
Lib skill/ topic: The Importance of Library and Internet
At the end of the lesson, students are expected to:
a. identify the importance of library and internet
b. differentiates the advantages and disadvantages of library and internet; and
c. use the library and internet effectively.
II. Lesson Proper
- Teacher will show pictures that could be found in the library and internet then the
students will identify the location of the objects shown in the picture
● Ask the students, “Do you consider Internet as a Library?”
“Which do you prefer to use in making your assignments or researches?
Library or Internet?
B. Input (see discussion)
● Students will be divided into 2 groups, Group 1 will be the
“Library Group” while Group 2 will be the “Internet Group.”
1. What is the importance of the library?
2. Identify the reference sources found in the library?
3. What are the advantages of using the library for research?
4. What are the disadvantages of using the Internet for research?
1. What is the importance of the Internet?
2. Identify the online sources found in the Internet
3. What are the advantages of using the Internet for research?
4. What are the disadvantages of using Library for research?
● A place set apart to contain books, periodicals and other material for reading, viewing,
listening, studying and researching. It also serves as a room, set of rooms or building where
books may be read or borrowed.
● The internet, which is usually called “Net”, is a worldwide system of computer networks-- a
network of networks in which users at any one computer can get information from any other
computer if they have permission.
THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF
LIBRARY AND INTERNET
ADVANTAGES OF USING THE INTERNET
Up-to-date news from around the world
Accessible at home, work, or through a wireless device
Ability to download and edit text & images
Ease of use
Requires minimal computer skills
DISADVANTAGES OF USING THE INTERNET
Conducting research often leads to non-productive searches
No process to check information for accuracy
Fees often charged for access to specialized information
Content often based on what is popular or profitable
ADVANTAGES OF USING THE LIBRARY
Materials arranged by standardized classification system
Help from library staff can improve quality of research
Availability of historical items
Libraries keep & preserve materials
Libraries follow a planned program for acquisitions.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING THE LIBRARY
Hours of Operation
The library is open only a set number of hours
Checked-out materials must be returned
A. Pen/ Paper
1. Enumerate the advantages and disadvantages of using Internet.
2. Enumerate the advantages and disadvantages of using the library.
C. Project – Rubric Based
IV. Feedback/ Anecdotal Record/ Teacher’s Comment
The debate over which method of research is better library or Internet is a difficult to decide
upon. Some people find it easier to conduct their research in a library for two reasons. First, because
they can physically search through a reference source instead of having to search it digitally and
because they have access to a live person when they need help. On the contrary, some people are
more comfortable working online when they are conducting research because it is more convenient
and it produces quick results. Adding to these, there is one more set of people who like both
methods of research.
We live in the digital age where access in wide resources is just in your finger tip. For this
reason, you might be thinking, "Cool, I don't have to go to the library. I can do all my research online."
However, the Internet is not a substitute for the library. It's just a tool best used in addition to
traditional research sources.