Successfully reported this slideshow.
Health and Illness Unit 6
by: Hugo Redondo Valdés.
Health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being.
Types of health professional:
·A general practitioner (is a doctor who treats the most
·A medical specialist (is a doctor who treats specific
illnesses or parts of the body).
·Hospital (they can go there for medical emergency, tests
and medical treatments).
Illnesses are health problems that affect your body´s
Types of Illnesses:
· Infectious diseases (are caused by microorganisms. For
example: influenza, measles, chicken pox…).
· Non- infectious diseases (aren´t caused by microorganisms.
For example: allergies, obesity, malnutrition…).
· Bacteria ( some of them can cause tuberculosis, tetanus or
salmonellosis. We can treat some bacterial infections with
· Viruses (they cause flu, measles, rubella and AIDS, for
example. We can treat it with antiviral medicines).
· Protozoans (they can cause malaria, cholera and amoebic.
We can treat some of these infections with anti- protist
· Fungi (it cause diseases of the skin, hair and nails. We
can treat fungal infections with antifungal medicines).
How are infectious diseases transmitted?
· By a personal contact.
· By droplet contact (when people sneeze or cough).
· By contact with contaminated objects.
· By animal carriers.
· By consumption of contaminated food.
· By consumption of contaminated water.
Preventing Infectious Diseases
To prevent infectious diseases, we must keep:
· Healthy lifestyle habits: wash your hands, brush your
teeth, clean cuts, keep your pets healthy, wash raw
fruits and vegetables and don´t walk barefoot.
· Vaccines: is a substance that contains weak or dead
microorganisms and produce antibodies.
Preventing Non-Infectious Diseases
To stay healthy, we need to keep lifestyle habits:
· Balanced diet.
· Regular exercise.
· Get 8-10 hours of sleep every night.
· Follow road safety rules.
· Accept and respect yourself.
· Express your feelings appropriately.
· Accept and respect other people