Wallacestone PS - Reading Comprehension in Primary 5, 6 and 7
Reading at Second Level at Wallacestone
Relevance of methods to modern life
Memories of reading inP5/6/7?
• Focus on fluency
• Did you ever get shown how
to make sense of the text?
• Did you ever get asked your
opinion of the text?
Do we need a different skillset in 2015?
• Engage with and create a broad range of texts, including Scottish and Scots
• Find and use information
• Develop criticalliteracy skills,evaluatingsources
• Use metacognitive reading strategies to understand, analyse and evaluate texts
• Develop and use higher-order thinkingskills.
• Create texts of increasing complexity using more sophisticated language
• Takingreading into writing…
Too much information!
beyondjust teaching thetechnical skills ofreading.Wemust
help ourchildren makesense, processandevaluatethe array
Experience ofa variety
Novels, extracts oftext,
What you’llsee in classrooms
reliability of source
Six Reading Strategies
Inference– Baboon on the Moon
• Why does the baboon live on the moon?
• Where is hefrom on earth?
• Howdoes hefeel?
• Who would have sent him to moon?
• Could hesent by NASA to earth?
• I think heis lonely becausehe is playing a sad
song and he is looking at the earth.
• Possible clues –duvet cover, arton wall,
I think….. because
What MIGHTbe going on?
Creating questions without
necessarilyhaving the answer