Apps: New Ad channel or passing fad?
A word from our sponsors…
• World’s largest, independent apps store since 2004 with over 450 million
downloads done to date (1 million downloads every single day)
• Truly cross platform app store with over 46,000 apps for all major platforms
on more then 1300 handsets
• The only app store grounded on a real developer eco-system including over
200,000 developer accounts and over 35,000 active beta testers
• Funded by premier investors Accel Partners (investors of Facebook, Real,
Why are consumers downloading apps?
Market research Mar09 – 5,000 respondents
• Always have phone with me 34%
• Pass the time 28%
• As a way to relax 9%
• I don’t have access to a computer 7%
• Entertainment 7%
• Don’t have access to the Internet 6%
• Don’t have any other form of entertainment 5%
• Use for work 4%
Who is downloading apps?
Less than 10
What is being downloaded?
week 196k last
15.7M last week
to date week 16.4M
5M to to date
week 35k last
722k to week
date 86k last 1.3M to
(*all downloads in 000’s)
Should you jump onto the bandwagon?
• Promotional or brand
• Free or paid?
• Niche or mass market?
• Developed or emerging
• Translating brand
How to do it right: The Fanta Stealth Sound System
• Ogilvy UK
• Coca-Cola – Fanta
• App uses ultra hi-freq
noises to let teens
communicate in secret
• Distributed on cans of
• 120k dl’s on GetJar – 6 wks
• Apps are booming and are here to stay
• Apps are more then just for smartphones
• Apps can be a very engaging way to communicate with
• Consumer understanding and campaign objectives are key
• Distribution should be free and can be done globally or regionally
VP Marketing – GetJar
1500 Fashion Island Blvd. Suite 209
San Mateo, California
94404, United States