Pleasant Street Apartments
Enosburg Falls, Vermont
• (24) - Units of Family Housing
• (6) Detached buildings, slab on grade, late
• Individual heating and hot water systems,
propane as primary fuel
• 15,000 gallons of propane per year
– 625 gallons per unit
– $156 Per Unit Month (PUM)
• Air seal and insulate attic plane to R-60
• Two part spray foam of “leaky”
construction components, overhangs,
• Continious taped 1” of XPS on walls, R-5
• New R-3 double hung windows.
• Care and detail to airsealing
• Individual heating systems were converted
to (3) semi-central mini-district heat.
• Primary heat and hot water by Froling
wood pellet boilers, supplemented by solar
thermal hot water collectors.
• A common 200 gallon storage tank buffers
the biomass boilers, and augments the
Froling Pellet Boiler
• Auto Start
• Self Cleaning
• Built in Controls
• Onboard pellet
• And yes… It can
Additional Mechanical Measures
• ECM circulator pumps, uses 65 – 80%
less electricity than traditional systems.
• Constant mechanical ventilation in each
unit, using Panasonic Whisper Greens.
• Use of microprocessor controls to regulate
loop temperature, warm weather shut
down and domestic hot water priority.
• Air tightness, as tested by blower door,
below new construction targets.
• Predicted fuel usage to be around 55 tons
of wood pellets per year.
• At current pellet costs, a Per Unit Month of
$46, over a hundred dollar reduction.
• A 30% reduction in MMBTU and almost a
70% reduction in Dollars.
• USDA – Rural Development
• VHCB – Vermont Housing and
• CVOEO – Weatherization Agency (WAP)
• EVT – Efficiency Vermont, EEU
• CEDF – Clean Energy Development Fund
• In addition to traditional housing sources