I was born, Redzuawan Bin Ismail, in Singapore in 1958. I am
the eldest in a family of seven children. I qualified as an accountant but due to my passion for
cooking, I later became a professional chef. I have an associate degree in Professional Chef
Training and Hotel Management from the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, United
States. I also have a Ritz Escoffeir Diploma (Ecole Ritz-Esscoffier De Gastronomie Francaise) from
the Ritz Hotel in Paris, France.
I am the author of several famous best selling cookbooks. I have won numerous
book awards. Among them are:-
• Salon International Du Livre Gourmand 2000 Periguex, France, a
Gold Medal for Presentation Of ‘The Royal Dining Etiquette Of The
Palace Of Perak’ In The Century In Malaysia
• Salon International Du Livre Gourmand 2000 – Prix La Mazille Special Prize for
his career as Food Ambassador of Malaysia.
• Salon International Du Livre Gourmand 2003 in Barcelona, Spain for the Best
Malay Chef Book in Malaysia (‘Mengelilingi Dunia bersama Chef Wan’ by Times
As a prolific writer, I also contributes articles for various publications such as:-
• Flavours, Star Publication (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
• Jelita, Berita Publishing Sdn Bhd
• Malaysia Tatler Food and Restaurant Guide, Communication Management Ltd.
• Marie Claire Malaysian Edition Guide to Eating in Malaysia/Singapore.
In October 2002, I gave a seminar on “The Excitement and Enticement of Malaysian Cuisine’ at
the IFCA / IFSA (International Inflight Catering Association) Asia Pacific Conference held in Kuala
Lumpur on behalf of Malaysia Airlines. I received a standing ovation by the participants at the end
of his speech. I was co-emcee at the Gala Dinner for the 9th Gourmand World Cook Book Awards
2003 held in Barcelona, Spain.
The best thing about being a chef is that I get to make people happy. Food makes people happy.
No matter how big your problems are, you still have to eat. I believe that problems seem bigger
on an empty stomach. Moreover, food has a way of cheering us up.
I am different from other chefs because I am not just a chef. Not only am I well-traveled, but I
am also an entertainer, an actor, an author and a motivator. I believe that food is one way to
make people happy. My dream is that through my position as food ambassador, I can bring peace
to the world. I also believe that food can unite people from all walks of life and cultures. When we
sit together and eat, we promote better understanding and harmony.
Being a gregarious person, I love to entertain people and socialize. I enjoy watching
movies and dancing. I also like to read and indulge in gardening whenever I can. I
have simple tastes. Although I like fashion, I believe that the most important thing
is comfort. To me, it is important that I feel confident and comfortable with the way
I look. I love simple food and fruit juices. My favourite is Asian and Japanese food,
followed closely by Thai, Mediterranean and Provance cuisine.
I am very motivated. The simplest things motivate me. Once I understand a
concept, I will do it. Being a perfectionist, I believe that if you do something, you
should do it well. Life has brought me fame and fortune. I wish to give back part of
what I have received. Thus, I support various charities. I generously donate time,
effort and money for any worthwhile cause.
Chef Wan's Biodata
• Born Redzuawan Bin Ismail, in Singapore in 1958
• Professional Chef
• Food Ambassador of Malaysia
• Resident Chef to the Asian Food Channel
• Food Critic and Malaysian Magazine Writer
• Cookbook Author
• Associate degree in Professional Chef Training and Hotel Management
from the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, United States
• Ritz Escoffeir Diploma (Ecole Ritz-Esscoffier De Gastronomie Francaise)
from the Ritz Hotel in Paris France
International Star International Star
• The Resident Chef (Premier Star) to the Asian Food Channel based in
• Chef Wan is the man behind the image of the channel. He is the face
seen by millions of people throughout Asia as an international chef.
• The Brand Ambassador to Emway 1 Cookware as well as Samsung
Silvernano Refrigerator and Home Appliances
• Assigned to YTL Cooperation under Tan Sri Francis Yeah as the
Company’s Brand Ambassador
• Flavours of Malaysia, Selera Antarabangsa (MAS Golden Boutique 1996)
• Chef Wan’s Sweet Treats (Times Edition 2000)
• Simply Sedap! Chef Wan’s Favourite Recipes (Times Edition 2000)
• Around the World with Chef Wan(Times Edition 2000)
• The Art of Entertaining
• Flavours of ASEAN
• Sajian Raya Bersama Chef Wan (Media Corp. TV Suria Singapore 2003)
• Langkak Demi Langkah Bersama Chef Wan (Berita Publishing Sdn. Bhd.)
Book Awards Book Awards
• Malaysia Tatler Food and Restaurant Guide
• Marie Claire
• Lonely Planet World Food Malaysia and Singapore
Film/ Theatre Film/ Theatre
• Lurah Dendam (Valley of Vengence) – 1996
Best Supporting Actor Nominee – in the 13th Asian Film Festival
• Baginda (1997) – Comedy
• Soal Hati (2000) – Comedy
• A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum(2002)
Live Stage Performance - Leading Role
• Scenerio XX (2004) – Comedy
TV Shows (Highlights) TV Shows (Highlights)
• The Kuali Cook Show (1992) –Malaysia TV3
• Chef Wan – Malaysia TV3
• Citarasa Sedunia Bersama Gas Petronas (1999/ 2000)
premiered in South-East Asia, India, Australia, Japan, China, South
• Flavours of Asia – Prime 12, Singapore Television
• A Taste of Australia With Chef Wan (Part 1 and 2)
Australia ABC Network broadcasted throughout Asia
• Chef Wan and Gino’s Specials – Norge TV, Oslo
• Martin Yan’s The Best of Asia and The Edible Roots (1997)
• Guest Chef on the American Food Channel, United States
• Family Feud (2002) – Malaysia NTV7
hosted one year of this highly rated game show aired on Prime Time.
• Food of the World – TV4 Stockholm, Sweden
sponsored by Ikea
• A Taste of Malaysia – Discovery Channel
produced by New Zealand TV Production
• No Reservation Please – Discovery Channel
co-host with Anthony Bourdain for American Food Channel
Food Ambassador of Malaysia Food Ambassador of Malaysia
• Over the last 16 years, Chef Wan has represented Malaysia in many
Food Expo and Tourism Exhibitions around the world for example,
exhibitions organized by the Malaysian International Trade Board
(MALTRADE), Malaysian Airlines and Tourism Malaysia.
• Due to his extensive knowledge on Malaysian cuisine, Chef Wan has
done numerous cookery demonstrations at the following fairs.
1. The World SIAL Food Expo in Paris, France and Beijing, China
2. The World Anuga Food Fair in Koln, Germany
3. The United Kingdom Food and Beverage Show held annually in
4. In-store promotion for MALTRADE in Japan, India, United Kingdom
5. The Ethnic Food Fair in Birmingham. United Kingdom
6. The Fine Food Exhibition in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia
7. The Food and Wine Tasting Festival in Adelaide, Australia.
• In October 2002, Chef Wan gave a seminar on ‘The Excitement and
Enticement of Malaysian Cuisine’ at the IFCA/ IFSA (International
Inflight Catering Association) Asia Pacific Conference held in Kuala
Lumpur organized by Malaysian Airlines. He received a standing ovation
by the participants at the end of his speech.
• He was co-emcee at the Gala Dinner for the 9th Gourmand World Cook
Book Awards 2003 held in Barcelona, Spain
• Chef Wan presented a working paper at the Singapore Writers Festival.
His presentation was on ‘Preserving the Malay Cuisine and its Heritage‘,
based on his current compilation of menus for his First Encyclopedia of
Malay Food. He also presented another topic called ‘My Secret Garden’
based on the significance of Ulam (Malay Herbs) as well as Jamu
Rempah in Malay cuisine and its advantages in Asian Traditional Spa.
This presentation was very well received and got rave reviews in the
Singapore Straits Sunday Times.
• Chef Wan has been interviewed in many regional talk-shows for
example, in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Australia and Singapore. Apart from
CNBC Asia, in October 2004, he appeared in a programme called
‘Driven’ on CNN TalkAsia with Lorraine Hahn. During this programme,
Chef Wan discussed his role as Food Ambassador of Malaysia. Besides
this, he was also interviewed on September 1st on Channel News Asia
for a half an hour live programme on his presentation at the Singapore
At 4 Season Resort in Sayan, Ubud Bali.
Preparing sate lilit on my tv series
"Flavors of Asean" Suria TV Singapore, 2003