LEADERSHIP THROUGH SELF
LOOK AT THE PRESENT WORLD
WE ARE LIVING IN
• Technologically advanced
Extremely Intense and
Stressful lives for everyone
- Labour Unrest
- Dishonesty of Individuals
- Scams and Financial Scandals'
What we need to do?
• Escape Stressful
What you need?
What is Sterling
• It gives Individual
• Enables the Individual to take
at the Right Time.
• To achieve this we require to
Understand and Practice
MISSING DIMENTION IN THE
Leadership through Self Management
A Practical Self
For people who are facing
Major challenges in life.
• To overcome Stress and uncertainty as a
resultant effect of ‘Change crisis’
How to Handle?
• Should have self management skills.
• Should be ready to cope with the
• Should understand, when Transformational
change is taking place in the organization,
whether people in the organization are able
to cope with the change.
Self Managing Leadership
• If the people are not in a position to cope
with the change then it can be due to
• Lack of self confidence.
• Increasing stress level.
If any of the above is visibly present then
Fear Becomes a Motivating Factor.
This is the Beginning of S
Provides for an Individual with
• Personnel skills
• Confidence to
• Leadership skills
• Quality is improved.
• Staff are Happy and
• Staff contributes
achievement of the
Aims of S M L
1. Managing Inner Organization.
2. Develop Practical Self Management
3. Develop Guiding Values and Focused
Vision of the Future.
4. Helps Redefine ,Reinvent and Reorient
ourselves for the future.
5. Helps to build Firm Foundation for self
e.g. Christopher Columbus
Expectations from S M L
• Develop Self belief and Innate Qualities you
have without need to adopt any particular
• Personal and strategic planning.
• Personal Re-engineering.
• Self Empowerment.
• Self Esteem.
• Self Control in terms of Attitudes, Behaviors
and Work styles.
• Tools for relevant Mental Training and self
How to lay the Firm Foundation?
a) By Strengthening the
b)Following the Principle
of ‘Not Turning Back’
c) Find New Bearings.
d)Learn and Practice
What is the Value System?
•Values are those that distinguish
humans from Beasts.
•Value system is essential for laying
a firm foundation.
•Value system is stronger based on
•Strengthening the value system
we get recharged.
‘Not Turning Back’
• If you are running a race and spend few
seconds to turn back you loose your time. In
the mean time your competitor moves ahead
by a few more steps.
• In the end world remembers the
First only and not the Second.
• So to be the first do not turn back and loose
• You are in the race right from the time you
Find new Bearings.
Success of a individual or an
organization depends on the
realistic approach and a highly
developed sense as to the purpose
Need is a clear focus should be
there about the Mission, Vision and
Values for an individual or an
organization to steer through the
• In a conveyor belt of a continuous process
industry any type of mishap is the resultant
effect of bearings so it should be replaced
immediately to keep the conveyor moving.
• Stress, Conflicts, and Confusion affect the
speed and your playing a meaningful and
purposeful role in your success.
Acquire Different skills.
•In this changing environment different
type of capabilities are required in addition
to Technical and Functional skills.
•What is required is self Management
Skills which involves Intuition, Flexibility,
Clear focus, Tolerance etc.
•All above cannot be taught in the class
rooms but only through proper
understanding about self and practice.
•It boils down to developing Intellectual
capacity, and Mental capacities which deal
with our thinking abilities.
• Still we find a missing dimension i.e.
Spirituality, which is intimately connected
with our classification as Human Beings and
that we have some thing called MIND.
• Spirituality is not connected with any
religions but with our own innate values,
innate powers, self respect, self esteem all
leading to developing the belief in the self.
• All above leads to enhancing the will power
through Meditation, relaxation techniques
and power to apply spiritual insights
What you can expect from SML?
• Control on Self Thoughts, Feelings and
• Being a better leader through better
understanding of Self and others.
• Practical application of Spiritual Knowledge
• To take responsibility for your state of Mind
• Better communication with people .
• Life changes.
We have a tendency to manage
Man before men.
If I don’t know to manage myself
How can I manage others.
We always want to manage:
practically all external entities but not our
The word ‘Age’ in the word
‘Management' refers to:
•Physical age of a person
With experience leading to
maturity we get the courage to
as a leader in terms of:
•What they should be doing?
•Why they should be doing?
•How they should be doing?
In the same way we are in a
position to direct all our sense
organs with a perfect
understanding as motioned
Take the case of our Tongue –
Are we Managing it properly?
Tongue has no bones but it will break
bones if not managed properly.
Next is our Ears• Need Information continuously
• Cannot take decisions without
information and analyse the same
• Information can slip through the
tongue if not managed.
We require new experiences.
A must for taking any decisions.
We cannot take decisions based on our past
Experiences only can teach you new situations and
how to handle them.
We cannot build ourselves if we cannot adapt
ourselves with new changing environment.
We need maturity to think when to use the
required expereince and the way or method to use
We should avoid being the victims of the
For this we should ask ourselves following
When to Manage?
Where to Manage?
How to Manage?
Manage up to what extend?
Which way to Manage?
• Once we have the answers for all these
questions , we can be rest assured, we will
take the right decision.
Managing with Hands ,Head and Heart.
• American System – After the end of 2nd. World War -Military
Style-Pyramid Style-Centralized Decision Making-Existed
for 3 decades. Most workers were required to use only
their HAND in completing Their Task.
• Japanese System - Total Quality Management SystemCreativity-Kaizen took birth .Here one more Instrument
was used called HEAD giving birth to creative thinking and
• Current System
- Emotional -In addition to Hands and
Head one more instrument widely available with all was
used. i.e. HEART. Feelings ,Attachments ,Total Involvement
by all those working were prevalent.
Now the organized world wants Self
Motivated, Committed and Responsible
In order to Motivate people and get their
commitment, identification of Values of the
people becomes important.
In the olden days, in GURUKUL, important
was to teach values along with all other
lessons thus managing the Kingdom was
simpler. Most of the kings were ruling with
responsibility and commitment leading to
This is what is required by the organized
world Today - A technique for HRD, to tap
the inner potentials of their people .