“Gifted” musicians are “gifted” because the better they get, the harder they work:
Growth mindset dhs conf
Mindset – a whole
Deputy Head, Durrington High school
• Tackling really hard
• ….again and again
• “I can’t do it”
• “I’m stuck”
• “I can’t be bothered”
• “It’s too hard”
• “I’m not clever enough”
• “He’s a boff, I’m not”
• “Can I do something easier?”
• “I’m at my MEG so I’m alright”
• “What’s the point in showing me that,
I’ll never be able to do it”
• Fixed –intelligence is fixed and can’t be
• Growth – intelligence can be developed
through effort & practice
• Fixed – Look smart at all costs
• Growth – No risks about looking smart, so
dive into challenges
• Fixed – Achievement should come naturally
• Growth – Hard work and effort is key
• Fixed – Hide mistakes and deficiencies
• Growth – Capitalize on mistakes and learn
“Dweck's research falls into the category of
most of the best of our research into
education, in that it merely ends up
confirming the eternal truths of the
classroom: turn up, work hard, study, do well;
work harder, do better; believe you can
improve and you probably will, believe that
you can't and see what happens.”
Tom Bennett, TES
A GIFT? HARD WORK AND SACRIFICE?
• Starting playing tennis aged 2.
• Practised 5 days a week; every week.
• By aged 5 playing in tournaments for under 10s.
• By 8 he was allowed to play against adults in competitions.
• Had few friends in secondary school and trained in all of his
• Aged 15 asks his mum to move to Barcelona so he can be
trained with the world’s best.
Caution - Changing behaviours is hard
Nick Rose – Turnford blog
Caution – The False Growth Mindset
• Don’t oversimplify it.
• Effort = Growth Mindset = success.
• Everyone can be excellent at everything!
• Posters + assemblies = job done.
• “Yes, I have a growth mindset”
• Legitimise our fixed mindset – know your
triggers, embrace them, overcome them:
– Facing Challenges: Anxious
– Struggling: Frustrated, worried
– Setbacks: Discouraged, defensive
– Being criticised: angry, defensive, ashamed
• Support students to do the same….