What is Persuasion?
Persuasion is the act of
inducing attitude changes
and influencing a target
market to action.
What is Persuasive Text?
Persuasive text is any writing
in which an author is
expressing facts or opinions
to try to convince the reader.
What is Advertising?
Advertising is defined as the act of attracting
public attention to a product or business, as by
paid announcements in print, broadcast, or
Advertising is done simply to attract or persuade
the consumer to buy a product or service
Techniques Used To Persuade
The use of repetition or rhyming to create a lasting
effect on memory. For example, we all have come
across an advertisement repeating the word new
and smart rhymes example in an advertisement for
luggage ‘travel light, travel right’
2. Some use contrasts to bring out the desirable
characteristics of their product. For example ‘the
small car for a great adventure’
3. Advertisers often use words that appeal to our
emotions. A diamond advertisement for example ‘a
diamond is forever’ this may represent diamonds
as eternal love
4. Advertisers use certain words that appeal to the
ambitious nature. . Example, ‘the winner’s choice’
or ‘be all you can be’.
5. Some advertisements use bold words or
phrases example NEW, EXTRA, or
INTRODUCING. They also use different
font size and styles. Example underlining
and italics for certain words.
6. Some use simple straight to the point words
7. Some use a cognitive message strategy.
This is simply the listing of the benefits of
their product. Example: a food product
advertisement saying their product is
healthy, tasteful and low calories.
8. Some use statistics. Example a mouthwash
advertisement claiming it to be
recommended by 3 out of 4 dentists
9. Advertisers misspell certain words of
products to create an attraction in the
consumer. Example, Trix cereal and Rice
10. The use of catchphrases, slogans and
slang that appeal to a target audience
example Nike’s slogan ‘Just Do It’ or
Dodge’s slogan ‘The ultimate driving
11. Sometimes figurative language is used
to appeal to the consumer through the
imagination. For example a skittles
advertisement ‘taste the rainbow’ or ‘eat